Eric Duncan

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

3 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

This is the first STAR WARS movie since TFA to have the holidays line up this favorably. I’d bet a decent chunk of change RISE OF SKYWALKER is still making $100M+ next weekend.

yeah, some people here are too blinded to see that holidays line up is important and TROS could (and likely will) catch up with TLJ because of that despite lower opening. It won't drop nearly as much as TLJ next weekend.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yeah, some people here are too blinded to see that holidays line up is important and TROS could (and likely will) catch up with TLJ because of that despite lower opening. It won't drop nearly as much as TLJ next weekend.

But $100M+?? I don't know man.... I can't see it.

• Like 2

Star Wars’ Box Office on Pace for $400 Million Opening Weekend

“The Last Jedi,” which was poorly received by some die-hard fans, had little competition during its first weekend in theaters. In contrast, “The Rise of Skywalker” faced a sturdy “Jumanji: The Second Level” (Sony Pictures), which was expected to collect about $25 million in its second weekend, for a new domestic total of around $100 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/21/business/media/star-wars-box-office-opening-weekend.html

Whereas, Deadline is predicting $450 million :thinking:

Edited by Bart Allen
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Mm-hmm. RO and TLJ both had to wait until their second week for kids to be out of school, and they had Christmas Eve in their second weekends. TROS is going to drop a fair bit better than both due to the generous calendar.

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

But $100M+?? I don't know man.... I can't see it.

TFA fell 40% its second weekend. TROS can fall around 48% and still hit $100M.

Edited by ViewerAnon

20 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Have you ever watched a Chinese Wuxia movie like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in which people suddenly fly on bamboos and walls like gravity doesn’t exist? I think the way westerners react to that kind of scenes (wtf is going on?) is how I react to the force concept. 

I think you are very right here.  It so depends on what you have grown up with.  I remember those scenes in CTHD, and I thought they were so, so stupid, but, of course, they make just as much sense as The Force and Jedi when you think about it.  I've tried a few more recent Wuxia films and just can't get into them at all.  I'm assuming there is some cultural divide that keeps SW niche in China and the same for Wuxia films in the US. But, you are correct that if a movie could find a way bridge that gap, it would probably be very successful.  How was The Matrix received in parts of Asia?  Wonder if the sequel will try to pull some more elements and more Asian characters into it. 

12 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

This is the first STAR WARS movie since TFA to have the holidays line up this favorably. I’d bet a decent chunk of change RISE OF SKYWALKER is still making $100M+ next weekend.

I'm guessing between 85 and 95 next weekend.

14 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Thanks, TwoMisfits :3

So it would be an impossibility for it to hit a 60/70% drop at this rate ~

70% yes, but (I never say impossible ever on this board b/c the one time you do. you get so burned)...

60% is more possible, but we'd have to see some weekdays to know how possible...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Star Wars’ Box Office on Pace for $400 Million Opening Weekend

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/21/business/media/star-wars-box-office-opening-weekend.html

Whereas, Deadline is predicting $350 million :thinking:

EDIT Since poster corrected...we'll see later:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

70% yes, but (I never say impossible ever on this board b/c the one time you do. you get so burned)...

60% is more possible, but we'd have to see some weekdays to know how possible...

Haha true and thanks :3 Yeah, we'll have to wait and see ~

• Astonished 1

Was the opening weekend breakdown by the sexes this skewed for the other 2 movies?  I find it crazy that it's 2/3, 1/3...and 10% women under 25?

Updated PostTrak for Skywalker shows guys over 25 (43%) in attendance followed by men under 25 (24%), females 25+ (22%), and females under 25 (10%). 

24 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

That won't help the weekend very much if at all. It will boost the weekdays.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Still betting Frozen 2 will gross more than TROS WW.

I'm not going to be surprised - but still waiting on that second-weekend drop. But at least we can say it probably won't beat Joker or The Last Jedi at the international box office - perhaps above Rogue One? 500-600 (but at the very most nothing above 700 OW) in my opinion.

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

That won't help the weekend very much if at all. It will boost the weekdays.

No Christmas Eve + People/kids off work Monday to soften Sunday drop = better weekend drops for everything, SW included.

Edited by ViewerAnon

Having X-Mas and New Years on a Wednesday is like the absolute ideal scenario for maximizing holiday legs for movies - plenty of incentive for not only children but adults to pretty much take the entire week off, or at minimum the day after Xmas or something.

• Like 3