Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

Buying up tickets to make a movie look better does happen: (at least in China)

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/china-box-office-fraud-mpaa-phony-ticket-sales-film-industry-1201847763/

In 2016, the distributor of the martial arts film “Ip Man 3” inflated its ticket sales by around $4.7 million through so-called ghost screenings — sold out shows with higher ticket prices that never actually took place — and by an additional $8.3 million by buying up tickets in bulk, VOA News reported.  ...

It all kind of depends of your opinion and trust in Disney to not engage in that type of behavior...

Edited by cedec0
  • Thanks 1

If Saturday only ends up being $51M-$52M then either the true Friday number is quite a bit lower than 50 or the Saturday bump from true Friday is just really bad. A standard 9-10% bump from 50 54.5 to $55.

I guess either way it's not a great sign. Hopefully Saturday numbers are looking better than 51-52.

1 minute ago, cedec0 said:

Buying up tickets to make a movie look better does happen: (at least in China)

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/china-box-office-fraud-mpaa-phony-ticket-sales-film-industry-1201847763/

It all kind of depends of your opinion and trust in Disney to not engage in that type of behavior...

well, China also thought this was the official poster:

63860f1b0afb063548a2f13f5f0ee441_300x400

what happens in China, stays in China I guess. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

If Saturday only ends up being $51M-$52M then either the true Friday number is quite a bit lower than 50 or the Saturday bump from true Friday is just really bad. A standard 9-10% bump from 50 54.5 to $55.

I guess either way it's not a great sign. Hopefully Saturday numbers are looking better than 51-52.

Did we just get updated numbers?

9 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Standard bump isn’t really 9-10%.   

TLJ about 7%, TFA unclear but maybe 2-5%ish.  Proximity to break would deflate TROS’s a bit too.

8 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Standard bump isn’t really 9-10%.   

TLJ about 7%, TFA unclear but maybe 2-5%ish.  Proximity to break would deflate TROS’s a bit too.

Just did the math. You're right on TLJ. Don't know why I had it in my head it was 9-10%. As for TFA, I'm guessing your 2-5% figure is due to the new information we have that its true Friday was bigger than we all thought? Otherwise, my calculations tell me TFA had close to a 10% bump (9.94%).

Edited by JB33

Just now, Gokira2012 said:

Stay home Episode 7 -9 is not Canon

Who cares? It’s Star Wars, they can do what they want. It’s an excellent series. Far better reviewed what what’s in the theater. They should have put baby yoda in the movie and maybe people would have showed up.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Just did the math. You're right on TLJ. Don't know why I had it in my head it was 9-10%. As for TFA, I'm guessing your 2-5% figure is due to the new information we have that its true Friday was bigger than we all thought?

Yup. Jat noticed it yesterday, I think atm he thinks the True Friday was like 66.5-67.5, but I lean a bit more like 65-66.5.     

There are some posts about it in this thread somewhere, but also some still on the current page of buzz.

• Like 1

Just now, Harley said:

Who cares? It’s Star Wars, they can do what they want. It’s an excellent series. Far better reviewed what what’s in the theater. They should have put baby yoda in the movie and maybe people would have showed up.

I meant Disney's Rey series in the movies is not Canon

• Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Yup. Jat noticed it yesterday, I think atm he thinks the True Friday was like 66.5-67.5, but I lean a bit more like 65-66.5.     

There are some posts about it in this thread somewhere, but also some still on the current page of buzz.

That's interesting. It means that, until Avengers: Infinity War, TFA had the true Friday record all along and not Jurassic World.

It's also great to know so that I have a better perspective on the opening weekend for TROS. 

• Like 2