Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

How does Skywalker's box office change the fact that The Last Jedi dropped 700mil from its predecessor? Is Skywalker expected to drop 700mil from The Last Jedi? Rian and JJ both deserve blame for how the sequel trilogy turned out. Lucasfilm deserves the most blame though.

I look at JJ and Rian as a symptom of the real problem over at Lucasfilm right now. To be fair, JJ was a decent choice to kick off the new trilogy, but giving Rian Johnson so much control was such a miscalculated move. Then to have JJ finish the trilogy, along with Chris Terrio writing, was just....oof. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How does Skywalker's box office change the fact that The Last Jedi dropped 700mil from its predecessor? Is Skywalker expected to drop 700mil from The Last Jedi? Rian and JJ both deserve blame for how the sequel trilogy turned out. Lucasfilm deserves the most blame though.

%-wise it's a similar drop to the second installment of the last two trilogies. So I understand framing it that way. And to some extent I agree.

That said, I feel like we have to address that the modern blockbuster world is very different from even 15-20 years ago. Sequels in long-running, healthy franchises do not usually drop that much in the 2010s. Like, you can say TFA had the novelty factor/nostalgia to buoy it, but, just to pull an example out of my ass, Furious 7 to F8 had a much healthier drop despite not having the novelty of the Paul Walker situation. The interest was there for the opening for TLJ. Even considering the Christmas holiday on the second weekend, December blockbusters just normally don't drop out like that. A sequel drop that severe in this movie age is very abnormal.

IMO, I would say the WOM for TLJ was not bad, just sort of iffy, like, audiences liked it well enough, but they weren't excited about it like they were with TFA, bringing their friends and family to see it again and again. 

I say this as a TLJ fan. However, I feel like TROS still gets the majority of the blame. This implosion on the weekend along with the Cinemascore doesn't tell me that this is being buried under people not liking TLJ. It is audiences more or less shrugging their shoulders. I can't say what the final legs will be, but I feel pretty confident that if TROS underperforms, it'll be mostly because audiences rejected it and not because of a hangup for TLJ (even if that factors into it somewhat). 

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 3

By the way, assuming TRoS doesn't have amazing legs in the coming weeks, you can kiss these three narratives goodbye:

1. The middle part of a Star Wars trilogy always makes the least money WW.

2. Those who hated TLJ and those who became apathetic toward Star Wars after TLJ, were only a tiny minority.

3. Rian Johnson is getting his trilogy.

• Like 2

Tentpoles would be so much better if directors chose not to care about the fans.

Let artists make what they want to make, and then let the audience that wants that art find it.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Tentpoles would be so much better if directors chose not to care about the fans.

Let artists make what they want to make, and then let the audience that wants that art find it.

Agree to a certain point, but I think for a franchise like Star Wars, you do have to keep fans in mind to some degree. 

19 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am actually happy that Knives Out is doing good. I hope Rian Johnson is always busy in these type of movies. 

He should never come back to Lucasfilm. The verdict is clear as ever. 

Even if you don’t what’s him near Star Wars (I personally do) the man could make a great Indiana Jones film in my opinion.

• Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

%-wise it's a similar drop to the second installment of the last two trilogies. So I understand framing it that way. And to some extent I agree.

That said, I feel like we have to address that the modern blockbuster world is very different from even 15-20 years ago. Sequels in long-running, healthy franchises do not usually drop that much. Like, you can say TFA had the novelty factor/nostalgia to buoy it, but, just to pull an example out of my ass, Furious 7 to F8 had a much healthier drop despite not having the novelty of the Paul Walker situation. The interest was there for the opening for TFA. Even considering the Christmas holiday on the second weekend, December blockbusters just normally don't drop out like that. A drop that sever in this movie age is very abnormal.

IMO, I would say the WOM for TLJ was not bad, just sort of iffy, like, audiences liked it well enough, but they weren't excited about it like they were with TFA, bringing their friends and family to see it again and again. 

I say this as a TLJ fan. However, I feel like TROS still gets the majority of the blame. This implosion on the weekend along with the Cinemascore doesn't tell me that this is being buried under people not liking TLJ. It is audiences more or less shrugging their shoulders. I can't say what the final legs will be, but I feel pretty confident that if TROS underperforms, it'll be mostly because audiences rejected it and not because of a hangup for TLJ (even if that factors into it somewhat). 

Thank you for addressing the point that these are different times now. Just because the 35% drop happened with the other two trilogies doesn't mean that it is normal now. Like you said FF8, and I'll add Fallen Kingdom and Age of Ultron, didn't drop as harshly from their over performing predecessors. I agree that I think that TLJ reception was more mixed than hated and that TROS seemingly poor reception is on it. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

That said, I feel like we have to address that the modern blockbuster world is very different from even 15-20 years ago. Sequels in long-running, healthy franchises do not usually drop that much in the 2010s. Like, you can say TFA had the novelty factor/nostalgia to buoy it, but, just to pull an example out of my ass, Furious 7 to F8 had a much healthier drop despite not having the novelty of the Paul Walker situation. The interest was there for the opening for TFA. Even considering the Christmas holiday on the second weekend, December blockbusters just normally don't drop out like that. A drop that sever in this movie age is very abnormal.

yeah but I am seeing people, even on  this site, that this somehow "vindicates" Johnson, that they should have brought him back for this movie, and he should now get his trilogy. I am sorry, but nope

and if the TLJ had made people excited for the next film. then it would have at least opened much better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snark88 said:

I mean what are they gonna do? The brand is damaged at this point because of the ST, so the question is how do they win audiences back in a way that they can restore the hype and box office success they had with TFA?

I think the best thing they can do is put Star Wars movies on ice for a long time, and focus on television. I know they've got a few shows in the works, but I think they should come up with one show that's their main eventer. Have a show with an endearing and loveable cast of characters, hire brilliant storytellers, and aim the show at adults. Yes, adults. I'm not suggesting to fill a Star Wars show with hardcore violence, sex and cussing. But give it a more mature tone. Star Wars at it's best, has always taken the more mature and serious approach to storytelling.

Let time heal SW. TFA came out a decade after the prequels and it did fine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snark88 said:

By the way, assuming TRoS doesn't have amazing legs in the coming weeks, you can kiss these three narratives goodbye:

1. The middle part of a Star Wars trilogy always makes the least money WW.

2. Those who hated TLJ and those who became apathetic toward Star Wars after TLJ, were only a tiny minority.

3. Rian Johnson is getting his trilogy.

for the second point, people were working off a false narrative. AOTC was considered better than TPM at the time.