Eric Atreides

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, MikeQ said:

I have some genuine questions: What makes you think George Lucas would want to come back to run Lucasfilm? Was he not the the person who sold it to Disney originally?

And why is he regarded as someone who would be the saviour of Lucasfilm? He already directed and screenwrote all of the prequel trilogy which, whatever your personal opinion, was definitely divisively received overall among fans, and overall pretty mildly or poorly received critically. (Perhaps not as relevant, but I was surprised to learn that of the original trilogy, George Lucas was director and sole screenwriter of only the first film, A New Hope. As a non-fanboy when it comes to Star Wars, I totally assumed George Lucas had directed all of those films.)

So, even if we accept the premise that Kathleen Kennedy should be fired, and/or that JJ & Rian were not good choices, I'm still trying to figure out why George Lucas is seen by some as the obvious solution, either as producer or director. *shrug*

Peace,

Mike

As an ideas guy. George has a limitless imagination, but he's definitely weak in the dialogue writing and directing actors. But he could oversee everything, make sure nothing happens in a movie that will do damage to other parts of the story. Write a story and then let someone else do the screenplay. Stuff like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

I have him on ignore already and pages are short in scrolling so I can understand.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

First time I've had to use the ignore option

Trolling is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

But seriously, bad form when people do it :( 

2 minutes ago, Wonder Midget said:

As an ideas guy. George has a limitless imagination, but he's definitely weak in the dialogue writing and directing actors. But he could oversee everything, make sure nothing happens in a movie that will do damage to other parts of the story. Write a story and then let someone else do the screenplay. Stuff like that.

True, but he still gave us A New Hope, but I agree - even Hamill and most notably Ford made mention of his writing, but yeah you can't argue his limitless imagination. I mean his contributions to the art of cinema even with ILM is another entity entirely. 

Edited by Bart Allen

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think the prequels are still garbage. Not because I'm a big butt hurt fan of Stars Wars because I'm not but because of bad writing, directing and acting. I'd watch the sequel trilogy over the prequels any day of the week.

Prequels are easily better than sequels for me, at least they had story to tell, Sequels not so much. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You got no self-awareness lol. I'm pretty sure they are talking about you.

I don't troll though? ~

I only like to compare it with Joker because both of those are/were on the opposite ends of the scale - one being the most underestimated, whilst the other arguably being the most overestimated film of 2019 post Endgame. Annoying, maybe, perhaps - yes; but trolling - nope. So, I sincerely hope you're not trying to get me banned on this thread by suggesting I'm trolling?

Edited by Bart Allen

16 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

RemarkableImpoliteClownanemonefish-size_

I don't care I used this gif for Solo unoriginal is fitting for a JJ Abrams film

It should be rather interesting to see how Deadline reacts and responds to this now, especially when it made (in a wink wink and nudge nudge manner) unsavoury comments to other media-websites on the matter - even The New York Post (I believe) came with $50 million under what Deadline came with, which was $450 in its OW.

Edited by Bart Allen

26 minutes ago, therana said:

Yes. Which is why the prequels aged well with the audiences: those teens are adults now who remember them fondly. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in near future Disney switches from the OT nostalgia baiting to the PT nostalgia baiting.

So we may see "high ground" scene 2.0?

It's hilarious how iconic the highground scene is lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

There's not a Shadow of Doubt...

Revenge of the Sith for all its flaws is a much better film then the rise of skywalker.

I agree, and it is very underappreciated, whether that be because of its dark tone or that many simply lambast a film being part of the Prequel Trilogy?

33 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Hopefully, after this, Disney fires Kathleen Kennedy. I have nothing against her as a Producer. She was great back in the day. She just isn't a good fit for Star Wars. She doesn't understand the franchise and allowed VII-IX to happen without a general sense of where the trilogy was going. That was a big mistake. Also, all the Director firings and Solo going way over budget to become this bland whatever. Please, Disney, get rid of her, or move her somewhere else where her Producing skills are actually good.

make star wars great again

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

make star wars great again

Yoda: "At an end your rule is, and not short enough it was!"

Heretic posted the potential UK final gross of TROS which is rather sad :( But yeah I'm obvious focusing on the North American numbers atm :3

It was always a sign of great WOM and an amazing road ahead when a films gross was climbing with very update. On the other hand, it was always a very worrying sign when the numbers go down with time.

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

One movie can't destroy a franchise. Otherwise DC would be over by now. 

DC has the benefit of incredibly diverse genres and tonalities. A Marvel-lite superhero team-up movie didn't work out? NVM, here's a swashbuckling undersea adventure, an R-rated grim Oscar bait villain origin story and a retro 80s' action fantasy.

SW OTOH is stuck in the same genre. Even a so-called "Western" like Solo seems more of the same. You can't keep pumping out these flicks at the rate of Marvel/DC or even close. Burnout would happen far sooner than later. And the other problem already mentioned that unlike Marvel/DC, SW is not able to build a robust younger fanbase or have a strong overseas connect.

• Like 1