Eric Atreides

Jackass Forever | Paramount | February 4, 2022

The appeal behind Jackass has always been "come watch Johnny Knoxville and his buddies perform a series of increasingly absurd 'don't try this yourselves kids' stunts for 90 minutes."

That said, I can see why its appeal would be lost among today's young audience, especially when those dudes are AARP eligible now and none of them have managed to enjoy actual careers away from the property (Knoxville's attempts at branching out went nowhere) and a portion of the people who did embrace the franchise back in the day are certainly into more sophisticated fare now. Always thought anything around half of what 3D made would be really good for this (especially since it cost nothing to make), since that had a major marketing gimmick and this IP might be past-its-prime-y anyway (and not because people have YouTube now or whatever - anyone who was fully alive in 2010 will tell you that YouTube had been fully mainstream for a while back then).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's not a matter of being pretentious or in "pain". (Liking movies doesn't make anyone "pretentious" either.) I just think it's foolish and a cultural blindspot to be unaware of a big franchise from a big studio, that's all. Especially if you're someone who frequents movie sites or box office blogs. That alone should dismiss any arguments about international appeal. I'm familiar enough with global cinema. I of course haven't seen anything but I'm up to date on international grosses and have basic understanding of foreign films and genres and superstars such as the ones you mentioned.

I just think a big problem here is that most of the members are Marvel, Disney or DC fans which is understandable since these are the biggest moviegoing events currently. And that limited perspective doesn't consider and factor other demographics or genres which aren't being supported due to many factors. So that's why we get broad comments like "Jackass will open under 10m" which truly seems wrong, etc. Yes, the comedy genre has suffered theatrically but there's possibility here due to the fanbase and buzz (89% on Rotten Tomatoes with 7.3 average and 69 Metacritic). Legion's middle school comments regarding Jackass just do not substantially reflect my personal experience or statistical history of the franchise.

Like... you read movie news, you know there's a movie that's a sequel with huge marketing and decent tracking that's been announced/postponed for months, etc.. yet you don't know what it really is? It takes like 5 seconds to look up the history of it. This is the tracking and buzz thread after all which updates daily with such news. I just truly don't understand this logic or lack of logic. 

Right now despite the snowstorm warning, the Thursday/Friday sales here kind of disprove what's being said about the movie (no marketplace, niche etc) which is exciting as a box office follower, no? Doubling the ticket sales of Moonfall so far. I just think it's interesting to keep an objective eye on, is all.

Cinemark Thursday 730-- (24)

Cinemark Friday--245 (2), 530 (4), 7 (2), 815 (25), 945 (4)

AMC Thursday- 7 (69), 740 (17)

AMC Friday- 3 (3), 430 (6), 540 (5), 630 (4), 715 (36), 805 (55)

you are again going tangent. this has nothing to do with Jackass, but you thinking we all must know about this film which has literally 0 presence in more than half the world. anybody not knowing is living under a rock.

25 minutes ago, RiddlerXXR said:

Me, trying to figure out what the fuck the last 1.5 pages have to do with tracking….

Confusion Reaction GIF

Jesus, is that the thread we’ve been in :hahaha:

Somebody should just move this crap to the jackass thread, my b

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Having seen the trailer of Jackass now and getting to know what it all is about (I thought it was some action comedy cop movie from name), I dont understand how this has any theatrical market, especially in today's day and age.  

Each new Jackass movie increased from the last, jackass 3D making 50m on opening back 12 years ago was impressive. Not only that but Bad Grandpa managed 150m off a 15m budget. I dont see how there isn't a market for this when its a massively profitable franchise given the small budgets. The market is lacking comdies as it is and if studios all kept the mindset of yours, it wont be long until cinema really becomes dead.

Less and less people are going to the cinema these days because there isnt a wide range of diverse content as it is. Cinema needs comedies like this, they cant just keep making movies for the same target audience forever as one day this audience will grow up and hollywood will be left in an even worse state

The theatre reactions to Bad grandpa's beauty pageant scene back in the day was louder than anything I experienced in Endgame or NWH, we should embrace this

Edited by Tarintino
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Each new Jackass movie increased from the last, jackass 3D making 50m on opening back 12 years ago was impressive. Not only that but Bad Grandpa managed 150m off a 15m budget. I dont see how there isn't a market for this when its a massively profitable franchise given the small budgets. The market is lacking comdies as it is and if studios all kept the mindset of yours, it wont be long until cinema really becomes dead.

Less and less people are going to the cinema these days because there isnt a wide range of diverse content as it is. Cinema needs comedies like this, they cant just keep making movies for the same target audience forever as one day this audience will grow up and hollywood will be left in an even worse state

The theatre reactions to Bad grandpa's beauty pageant scene back in the day was louder than anything I experienced in Endgame or NWH, we should embrace this

Being in a crowd where everyone is laughing is my favourite part of the theatrical experience. Grimsby is a bad film, but I will always remember the crowd laughing their asses off when they hide inside an Elephant 

22 minutes ago, Eric Knoxville said:

This made me chuckle but god damn I hate these stupid things. Yes I go to movies to watch movies, I know. I don't go for a stupid pandering video with Nicole Kidman I ALREADY BOUGHT THE TICKET LEAVE ME ALONE

20 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Being in a crowd where everyone is laughing is my favourite part of the theatrical experience. Grimsby is a bad film, but I will always remember the crowd laughing their asses off when they hide inside an Elephant 

And now that image is back in my head. I was surprised Mark Strong took on that role, that scene did make me laugh.