JB33

Weekday Numbers: Dec 23 - Dec 26, 2019

51 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

@JB33 change the title to Weekdays thread.

@ZeeSoh @Force Ghost Cap @baumer should we have one single thread for weekdays rather than making one every day. I did that last week, it was good.

Since it’s a holiday, I’m good for that for now. Will talk it over with the mods if we want to do this ongoing. And I just put it to Thursday. I assume that when Friday numbers come out, will make the weekend thread!

• Like 3

Looking at past Eve, there is one type of movie that sees a consistent increase — Indian productions. Makes sense that the conditions of the day are good for increased moviegoing if you aren’t actually, y’know, busy with Christmas. So Christian and similar tradition BO probably dips more steeply while some demos it actually goes up but gets cancelled by preponderance of a Christmas observing folks in DOM. So, the intensity of the drop should depend on, among other factors, religious splits among each movie’s audience.

Knives Out and Jumanji both had high/very high Hispanic/Asian/Other posttrak (respectively 27%, 36%) and I believe KO also played very urban/coastal, which I’d expect to mute the impact a bit.   

Edit: Hispanics are actually more Christian than whites on average, see below for more musings.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Looking at past Eve, there is one type of movie that sees a consistent increase — Indian productions. Makes sense that the conditions of the day are good for increased moviegoing if you aren’t actually, y’know, busy with Christmas. So Christian and similar tradition BO probably dips more steeply while some demos it actually goes up but gets cancelled by preponderance of a Christmas observing folks in DOM. So, the intensity of the drop should depend on, among other factors, religious splits among each movie’s audience.

Knives Out and Jumanji both had high/very high Hispanic/Asian/Other posttrak (respectively 27%, 36%) and I believe KO also played very urban/coastal, which I’d expect to mute the impact a bit. 

Hmm you may be on to something there.

13 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Hmm you may be on to something there.

It was actually an error to look at Hispanic +Asian/Other though, In US it should go from most to least Christian:  

African America

Hispanic

Caucasian

Asian/Other  

But of course, religion is an imperfect proxy for intensity of Christmas observance, and race a fairly lacking proxy for either. Too bad posttrak doesn’t ask people how much they observe Christmas on a 5 point scale 😛   

@Minnale101, yup. I realized that error right after the first post.

Edited by Arendelle Legion

12 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Good explanation. Probably a combination of this and some discount boost factor in select locations. 

Frozen 2 is going to increase a lot. Perfect winter theme movie for Christmas. 

Soundtrack is also doing really good. 

I think the major reason behind both Frozen and Frozen 2 success is the sisterly bond. 

There are very few princess movies that emphasise more on positive relations rather than negative. 

Frozen has solidified itself at very strong brand not only domestic but Overseas also. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3