Jump to content
JB33

Weekday Numbers: Dec 23 - Dec 26, 2019

Recommended Posts

Lmao what the hell

 

were arguably talking about the biggest movie franchise ever in Star Wars. Especially the movie in skywalker saga 

 

compared to jumanji. Geez 

 

250 million domestically would be amazing for the movie 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Jumanji is a "more of the same" type sequel

 

Star Wars is a movie massively promoted as the "Endgame" of Star WArs

 

 

that's the difference 

I would argue the difference is that people have more feelings about STAR WARS and are entrenched in their various positions, because RISE OF SKYWALKER is doing well too :)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a2k said:

Have used a lower Wed than JediJat's 32 and getting 480 by Jan 5th.

 

Weekday Date Gross Daily % Total Cumes Wknd %
Fri 20 Dec 19 89.6   89.6    
Sat 21 Dec 19 47.5 -47.0% 137.1    
Sun 22 Dec 19 40.3 -15.2% 177.4 177.4 -
Mon 23 Dec 19 29.4 -27.0% 206.8    
Tue 24 Dec 19 20.1 -31.6% 226.9    
Wed 25 Dec 19 31.0 54.2% 257.9    
Thu 26 Dec 19 32.5 4.8% 290.4 113.0  
Fri 27 Dec 19 30.0 -7.7% 320.4    
Sat 28 Dec 19 32.0 6.7% 352.4    
Sun 29 Dec 19 24.0 -25.0% 376.4 86.0 -51.5%
Mon 30 Dec 19 18.0 -25.0% 394.4    
Tue 31 Dec 19 15.5 -13.9% 409.9    
Wed 1 Jan 20 20.0 29.0% 429.9    
Thu 2 Jan 20 10.0 -50.0% 439.9 63.5  
Fri 3 Jan 20 12.5 25.0% 452.4    
Sat 4 Jan 20 17.5 40.0% 469.9    
Sun 5 Jan 20 10.0 -42.9% 479.9 40.0 -53.5%

 

2.0-2.25x the Jan 3-5 weekend gives 560-570 dom

That seems optimistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

sure jan GIF

Yeah you’re right Star Wars is doing terrible! It will probably only be one of the 12 highest grossing movies of all time. What garbage! Fucking loser of a movie. Clearly only like 5 movies ever haven’t been utter bombs and that’s the top 5, everything else is and was a loser and a half. Rise of Garbage is more like it, probably won’t even make $600M domestic, or if it does not even $700M, what a bomb! 

  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I would argue the difference is that people have more feelings about STAR WARS and are entrenched in their various positions, because RISE OF SKYWALKER is doing well too :)

Relative to expectations? Nope. 

 

I honestly found it laughable around six months ago when people created the club that TROS would finish below TLJ worldwide and domestically, especially since it was the finale and TLJ already dropped an astonishing $735m worldwide from TFA. The fact that in 4 years, the finale of the trilogy and the entire Skywalker saga is going to finish with roughly 50% (possibly being a little bit generous) of the tickets worldwide of TFA is not doing "well". Is it going to make money? Absolutely. But so did Crimes of Grindelwald and no one would say that did "well". In terms of raw dollars, yes, but in terms of franchise and sequel expectations, absolutely not.

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Andreas said:

This would mean a $27.5M Tuesday OS. Not bad at all.

Probably not truthworthy 

I don't see why he would be the only one to have number. 

And it seems to be way to hight for Christmas Eve 

Edited by Moviefanfr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Because WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE was a massive overperformer, and THE NEXT LEVEL’s numbers are great for the kind of movie it is.

 

A movie’s success isn’t just about how it does in comparison to its predecessor. HALLOWEEN KILLS will probably tumble to like $100 million and that would still be great for it.

Ok I’ll remember this when Wonder Woman 1984 does $247m and you’re all calling it “fantastic”. Jumanji isn’t doing well. 

29 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Jumanji is a "more of the same" type sequel

Star Wars is a movie massively promoted as the "Endgame" of Star WArs

that's the difference 

Nah. Jumanji is coming off an alleged “well received film”. Star Wars isn’t. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ok I’ll remember this when Wonder Woman 1984 does $247m and you’re all calling it “fantastic”. Jumanji isn’t doing well. 

Nah. Jumanji is coming off an alleged “well received film”. Star Wars isn’t. 

Hmmm...surprised this is coming from you KrissyKins. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah you’re right Star Wars is doing terrible! It will probably only be one of the 12 highest grossing movies of all time. What garbage! Fucking loser of a movie. Clearly only like 5 movies ever haven’t been utter bombs and that’s the top 5, everything else is and was a loser and a half. Rise of Garbage is more like it, probably won’t even make $600M domestic, or if it does not even $700M, what a bomb! 

People were talking about Star Wars in the same breath box office wise as Marvel. 
 

this movie won’t even beat black panther let alone half of endgame 

 

Star Wars is same ball part as fast and furious and Jurassic park now. 
 

the talk of it flopping is not due to profitability but the expectations of what Star Wars end of 9 movie saga should be doing

Edited by Minnale101
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

People were talking about Star Wars in the same breath box office wise as Marvel. 
 

this movie won’t even beat black panther let alone half of endgame 

 

Star Wars is same ball part as fast and furious and Jurassic park now. 
 

the talk of it flopping is not due to profitability but the expectations of what Star Wars end of 9 movie saga should be doing

I'd easily argue Jurassic World is now bigger than Star Wars worldwide. Not only was JW2 able to do the same numbers as TLJ worldwide despite its predecessor finishing $400m below TFA

 

In terms of raw appeal to people around the world, Jurassic World is more attractive.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Relative to expectations? Nope. 

 

I honestly found it laughable around six months ago when people created the club that TROS would finish below TLJ worldwide and domestically, especially since it was the finale and TLJ already dropped an astonishing $735m worldwide from TFA. The fact that in 4 years, the finale of the trilogy and the entire Skywalker saga is going to finish with roughly 50% (possibly being a little bit generous) of the tickets worldwide of TFA is not doing "well". Is it going to make money? Absolutely. But so did Crimes of Grindelwald and no one would say that did "well". In terms of raw dollars, yes, but in terms of franchise and sequel expectations, absolutely not.

 

 

CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD made $160 million domestically. RISE OF SKYWALKER looks to make, at minimum, $550 million or so? 
 

Expectations are great; perspective is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ok I’ll remember this when Wonder Woman 1984 does $247m and you’re all calling it “fantastic”. Jumanji isn’t doing well. 

Nah. Jumanji is coming off an alleged “well received film”. Star Wars isn’t. 

Odd negative behavior for you? Wonder Women acting like Deadpool 2 or Spiderman 2 would be normal for the genre, dropping to 250m would be horrible and rightly so. 

Jumanji isnt in the same camp, nor was J2017 - it behaved way out of the norm for the kind of film it was. 

Btw, rarely do sequels to 400m first grossers increase - Frozen and Catching Fire being the rare exceptions. 

Jumanji is behaving much like Night at the Museum and going way back Home Alone Large films with mutli audience attraction that dropped a bunch (30%ish) on their 2nd installment. 

Potter held better but still dropped, and Narnia cratered so its not abnormal. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

If WW84 does $250M then that would be horrible for a CBM sequel that did over $400M. Do I expect a drop off? I wouldn’t be surprised if it had a similar domestic drop as say Deadpool 2 but that wouldn’t be horrible either. I’m not expecting that personally but if it did say $380M, that wouldn’t be horrible. 
 

Jumanji isn’t a CBM franchise nor is it an animation film. So a drop off was expected. In fact, I’m pretty sure most of the discussion leading up to its release was about how much it would drop by. 
 

Star Wars is being criticized because it’s a franchise that everyone expects more from at the box office. It’s box office numbers keep declining with each film that gets released. And not by a little which no one would say anything about BUT by a lot. The decline has been so steep, that questions about where does Star Wars go from here have begun. And they are legitimate questions as Disney bought this franchise for $4B and not even 5 years since the release of TFA the franchise is going in the complete opposite direction. And the weaker Star Wars movies get at the BO, the more likely studios will decide to just open up against them regardless of their release date. Star Wars underperforming brings up a bunch of questions that no one has answers for yet. 
 

With Jumanji, Sony didn’t invest billions and billions of dollars into it. They’ll make a third one and then close the books on the “franchise.” Until they decide to reboot it 10-15 years from now. If they even decide to do that. But the bottom line is that Sony struck gold with the first Jumanji starring The Rock and now they’re milking it. But once the cow runs dry, they’ll be fine. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.