JB33

Weekday Numbers: Dec 23 - Dec 26, 2019

So how come I’m just finding out that Kevin Garnett and The Weeknd star in Uncut Gems 

:sparta:

*Ive never watched the trailer or know anything about the plot btw. I was going into the movie blind and just saw the starring cast. 

Edited by Nova

I didn't have many posts but was pretty smug about how 2x Hobbit's ow (then Dec record holder) was being too optimistic about TFA's ow. Thought was, when do ow records in a month with so many releases get doubled you trolls :lol:. Hobbit after all was no slouch hype-wise.

Prior to the pre sales I had TFA doing something like 700/800/1.5b. I didn’t expect it to do over a billion OS alone. That was kind of crazy to me because no other SW movie had even come close to that. To me, what TFA did is the exception for SW movies not the norm. 

What TLJ and TRoS are doing is closer to what I expected lol

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Uncut Gems is fantastic. I had a pretty big audience in the afternoon with 80-100 people. There were about 10 walkouts, but everyone else seemed to enjoy it (though there were many comments that it was strange)

Seeing it tomorrow with Mom and again with friends on Sunday. Making advance plans to see a movie twice before actually seeing it seems risky but I have great faith.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

My takes on these numbers:

TROS: I really don't know where this is going to land. It should be on par if not above TLJ's 10 day total, but a harsher drop will happen next weekend as the holidays end. Also, it has bigger competition than TLJ did in January between Oscar expansions and WOM from movies like Jumanji. I'm actually fairly optimistic on its chances of getting to 550M+, but we'll see. It could completely collapse next weekend and miss 500M too.

Jumanji: This franchise is having another insane run. 300M will be locked if this weekend's numbers actually live up to what Christmas Day promised, and another Jumanji will inevitably be on the way. I think Sony would be wise to wait until 2022 to avoid franchise fatigue and Avatar.

Little Women: This falls in line with tracking. It's a great result for Greta Gerwig's first mainstream feature, and between great WOM and potential Oscar nominations, it'll live very healthily in January. 100M is still in reach.

Uncut Gems: Bravo! Despite the somewhat tepid audience score and C+ Cinemascore, Oscar buzz is going to carry this throughout January, especially if it overperforms in Oscar nominations. A24 films are usually immune to low Cinemascores, so I'm not concerned on legs. I'm seeing the movie in a few hours and cannot wait!

Spies: I was expecting more between the good reviews and tracking. The problem is there's too much demo overlap with Jumanji, and it lacks the adult appeal that has as well. It will die fast in January but can probably reach 60-70M, which isn't horrible for Blue Sky.

Knives Out: DAFUQ? Let me repeat, DAFUQ? This got incredibly lucky with the non-Jumanji releases on the 13th bombing. I know we're talking about 120M, but I argue it could hit 130-140M. Absolutely fucking insane.

Frozen 2: This is having strong staying power after the doom and gloom about it being frontloaded/not having good WOM. It might be ahead of Spies this weekend.

Bombshell: It's doing fine. I was hoping it could outgross Vice, but it won't have enough awards buzz to do that.

Cats: lol

I don’t think Sony will be wise enough to wait an additional year. Plus, they need the cash. 

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Just realized that TROS might not even reach the worldwide OW Endgame hit at 1.2 billion dollars. :ohmygod:

Yeah, I mean it’s been very unlikely since OW. Like 610+610 would be pretty great legs for TROS from here, and is a miss. Of course something like 70% of the WW top 10 this year are missing Endgame's opening weekend. It’s a pretty high bar.

11 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

If it was a Bollywood forum, I would have said

FFH ka

TS4 ka

TLK ka

sabka badla lega re tera TROS.

Me: *visible confusion*

Me+Google: *confusion intensifies*

Me+using Google better: :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, lilmac said:

I don’t think Sony will be wise enough to wait an additional year. Plus, they need the cash. 

I imagine they don't want to have Dwayne Johnson competing with himself as Black Adam is due out in the same period.

• Like 1