JB33

Weekday Numbers: Dec 23 - Dec 26, 2019

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You know, most people did not expect Skywalker to outgross Last Jedi even in best case scenario...

drop off after TLJ was inevitable. Not sure why you say it like it is a bad thing.

My guess was between 1.3-1.5 and that was depending on it being a well reviewed movie. It wasn't well reviewed and looks to make about 1.1 billion. A lot of this is just reactions to people not liking the movies under Disney (I myself didn't really like TROS that much but enjoyed the other ones).

30 minutes ago, Nova said:

No movie should be scared of Star Wars domestically or OS. The first Jumanji went toe to toe with it just fine. Jumanji 2 is holding its own. A year and a half ago Han Solo got slaughtered at the BO after opening after IW and Deadpool 2. 

So why would Aquaman 2 worry about Star Wars? Especially since the first was so well liked. If anything Star Wars is the one that should be concerned. If a movie like Aquaman opens against SW it’ll wipe the floor with it OS, and domestically it’ll be closer than you guys think. 

Hahaha get real! For a box office forum there sure are some people who can’t overcome their own idiotic biases. Star Wars is the franchise that murders the competition, make no mistake about that. You open against Star Wars, you lose. Period. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You know, most people did not expect Skywalker to outgross Last Jedi even in best case scenario...

drop off after TLJ was inevitable. Not sure why you say it like it is a bad thing.

This is some pretty ballsy revisionism, my friend.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Hahaha get real! For a box office forum there sure are some people who can’t overcome their own idiotic biases. Star Wars is the franchise that murders the competition, make no mistake about that. You open against Star Wars, you lose. Period. 

This is so completely disconnected from reality it’s hardly even funny.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

This is some pretty ballsy revisionism, my friend.

There were actually a lot of people that didn't expect it too make as much. Most of the more reasonable movie people on youtube (not the clickbait individuals who say stuff merely to get attention) expected it to make slightly less than TLJ. Given the fact that sequels tend to not make as much in general most of the time and that there was a certain portion of people that weren't all that happy with the current trilogy.

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

nah many people not just here but across the net said an increase over TLJ was a certainty because it was the "finale of the Skywalker saga" and because ROTJ and ROTS increased over their predecessors

Yes, let's not forget entire arguments that "TLJ's decrease isn't out of the ordinary for a middle chapter in a SW trilogy - no reflection on the reception. The third one will increase!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Non-Skywalker saga Star Wars? Aquaman will be bigger everywhere. Potentially much bigger. Could be close DOM I suppose but AM will slaughter it OS everywhere, especially China.

I think you're severely underestimating a Knights of the Old Republic movie (it's that's the next batch of Star Wars movies). If it's well done than all bets are off domestically. But yeah i think AM2 does well regardless.

Also ,with rumors that Kevin Feige will be on Star Wars and after seeing the first 5 episodes of the Mandalorian...I'm betting Disney "rights the ship" although when a mixed-reviewed movie is making 500 million and a billion worldwide after an ill-received predecessor that apparently turned off a large portion of its fan base that alone shows how potent the brand is. Just can't write it off. Star Wars (and Star Trek) basically spawned pop-nerdom and has two legit movies that changed modern day cinema (Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back). Star Wars IS American pop culture. Comic book movies ala, The Dark Knight/Heath's Joker, Tobey's Spidey, X-Men, then topped off by the MCU made it cool in the social media age.

Star Wars through the good and bad will remain timeless simply based on the OT and the original characters and the other extended stories that they came from.  

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

38 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

This is giving me flashbacks to Aquaman vs Mary Poppins juggernaut...

Now, let's say the next SW is a KOTOR movie, with loads of light saber spectacle - think that ship has sailed for Asia and Latin America. They needed huge epic action in TFA and that didn't bring anything new to the table. Good visuals, but nothing innovative or spectacular.

But, yes, domestic and Europe will eat it up, sure. AQM2 should still stay put. The first one didn't do gangbusters in most of the traditional Western markets, so there's room for growth, and a bigger launch than the first, with Christmas legs, will help that. Maintain the original's release strategy, target China and some other major Asian and LATAM markets first, by releasing it 1-2 weeks in advance, and even with a flat domestic performance (or even a 10-15% drop), it's still looking at a WW take to match or beat the original's. Not to mention that a well-received Batman and Black Adam to precede it will just help boost AQM2, via the DC brand. As such, even on the high end of expectations for SW (1.1 billion, which is quite unlikely, given the trend), AQM2 still comes out on top and makes more than in a different slot. So...really, why move?

Dumbest thing is Aquaman delivered on so much spectacle and epic fantasy landscapes and monster battle (too much some would say) and it costed like half of TLJ/TFA. And it actually looked good, It rarely broke the immersion or suspense because of some bad CGI scene

George said he waited for technology to get better for the prequels to be made and they were groundbreaking,this new trilogy could have been so much more, but idiot big head directors fall for youtube memes hurr CGI bad.They think they're real filmmakers or something

Edited by mikee11
  • Like 1

A Knights of the Old Republic film will Slaughter Aquaman Domestically.

Solo made: $213.8 million at NA box office

Aquaman made: $335.1

Solo was a movie nobody wanted, had one of the most subpar marketing, 3 months prior to release getting it's first teaser and still having Terrible WOM.

Aquaman might not have been a movie people wanted but it was marketed well, well liked and released in the christmas season.