JB33

Weekday Numbers: Dec 23 - Dec 26, 2019

Damm I saw the movie and I am so dissapointed :( This actualy got me really sad, hopefully it will grow on me.

For me it's the worst SW movie I have ever seen.

For now:

3.5/10

For reference:

TFA 6.5 / 10

TLJ 6 / 10

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've only played the first game (I started playing it a few weeks ago) but I think its too dark, complex, and weird. I really don't see general audiences liking a faithful adaptation. I don't think thats the route Star Wars should be taking right now if they want to win back the GA and fans. Its something they should make after getting everyone back on board. 

19 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

One concern I have with KOTOR is that they'd probably adopt a lame path (light side). Even the lame KOTOR paths are pretty cool though.

I think the bigger issue is them already having taken quite a few of the story-beats or general details for their movies.

Putting it in spoilers as some of it might give a hint at TROS, even if it doesn't explicitly say anything about the movie:

- Artifical construct that gains energy from a star

- two main characters in flux between the light and dark who share a force-bond

- an endless fleet

- a snarky droid who is good at killing things (granted, KOTOR's is way more homicidal)

- a Jedi council that has to share part of the blame for how things are going

- a Republic on the back foot under an onslaught by the Sith

- quite a few other things that have slipped my mind because I'm too tired right now :P

Not to mention a ship that is vaguely similar to the Falcon, and faceless enemy troopers. Though that could fall more under offering something similar that is still different in style, which might actually work in its favour.

I think it would be a great story to tell, but maybe not as the next thing that is coming up. I'd probably go with a Kevin Feige produced one-off as the next one. Not because I think he's some sort of saviour, but because he's at his peak right now. Maybe he isn't all that well known to the average person, but if there is one person who could inspire the necessary trust from a broad range of people, it would be him. This would also give more time for a larger project that would follow afterwards.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've only played the first game (I started playing it a few weeks ago) but I think its too dark, complex, and weird. I really don't see general audiences liking a faithful adaptation. I don't think thats the route Star Wars should be taking right now if they want to win back the GA and fans. Its something they should make after getting everyone back on board. 

It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation of the game. Just a saga about that era in the Star Wars universe and some of the crucial characters from it (Darth Revan. Darth Bane etc.).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

It doesn't have to be a straight adaptation of the game. Just a saga about that era in the Star Wars universe and some of the crucial characters from it (Darth Revan. Darth Bane etc.).

Well if the first movie in that saga comes out in 2022, I don't see it destroying Aquaman 2.

On another note, we should find out about the future of Lucasfilm in a few more weeks. Probably nothing about change in leadership but we should know what they have in store for the next few years.

Edited by lorddemaxus

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't think the game is all that dark, at least not in a way that you couldn't translate into a fun adventure for everyone. There are some darker beats, sure, but then again, those have always existed in Star Wars. Nor does the story seem all that complex when presented in its purest form. You obviously won't be able to include everything, but you wouldn't really need to. Though I guess it would make sense to make it at least a two-parter, as there is too much to do for just one movie.

Now the second game is a different matter. That has some crazy stuff in it. And the only reason why people wouldn't scream bloody murder over it far more than they did for TLJ is that there simply isn't the same connection as to the characters that made Star Wars popular in the first place. The content itself makes all those claims about TLJ trying to re-imagine Star Wars absolutely lolworthy.

Edited by George Parr
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Or they could indirectly capitalize on Mando by doing a story about the Mandalorian Wars. That would have the scale audiences expect from SW stories while still offering a fresh angle.

That does connect to KOTOR again though, as the Mandalorian Wars are the lead-in to the story, and are heavily featured in both games.

On the plus side, The Mandalorian is certainly hot right now, but on the opposite end it would take years to get the movie done, and things might look different by then. Not to mention the shift in tone. In the show the Mandalorians are sort of the heroes, in the Mandalorian Wars they are the clear cut villains.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

Or they could indirectly capitalize on Mando by doing a story about the Mandalorian Wars. That would have the scale audiences expect from SW stories while still offering a fresh angle.

This. Video games are NOT the way to go. Use something people already like.

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

This. Video games are NOT the way to go. Use something people already like.

The Mandalorian Wars are heavily connected to KOTOR and are a big part of the worldbuilding of the game... The reason I think they would be a good choice is because some of the iconography would strike a good balance of familiar and new. 

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

1917’s been doing better PTA’s than Lone Survivor (same calendar too) and it’s in 5x as many theatres. I definitely think it can do 30M+ when it goes wide, if not more.

I agree but I don't know if a British war movie will have the same hype with the general public as an American war movie. Dunkirk opened to $50 million but that was a Nolan film.

• Like 1

Crude (and probably useless) chart I had for Dom estimation.

The base guess was 75-80 weekend which was giving 540+ to 560 dom (you just have to take my word for it 😜). Better weekend equals better future legs so decreased the multi by 0.005 with each weekend smaller by 1m.

Spoiler
2nd Wknd Multi Dom
85 3.400 579.00
84 3.395 575.18
83 3.390 571.37
82 3.385 567.57
81 3.380 563.78
80 3.375 560.00
79 3.370 556.23
78 3.365 552.47
77 3.360 548.72
76 3.355 544.98