baumer

Little Women (2019)

Grade it  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Never watched any other adaptions or read the book but other than maybe a couple of rushed scenes in the first act thought this was a wonderful film. Can't see anyone at least not be charmed a little bit by this film. 

I hated the first half of this. Found it boring and disjointed. I don't know if the parallel timelines were from the book, but I found it very sloppily done. For example, the juxtaposition made Beth's death scene a laugher rather than a cryer. 

Then from Laurie's confession onward, I actually quite enjoyed it. Pugh, Chalamet, and Ronan's performances carried this, and I liked the meta ending.

A/A+

Little Women is a captivating movie from start to finish. I don't usually like Period dramas, but I really got hooked and drawn into this movie with the sensational performances, terrific sets, magnificent costumes, and awesome score. They truly did make me feel like I was back in the 1800 hundreds with the sets, costumes, and production design. Hats off to Greta Gerwig and her team. Couple weeks since I've seen this movie, and I can't get out of my head how good this movie was. The costumes, THE COSTUMES! So so good. The editing style, AMEN!

There's been other retellings of this story adapted into movie, but I don't see any of them topping this.

Could not be more thrilled with this movie.

• Like 1

Same here.

First time I saw it thought it's just a really well made, beautifully photographed and acted period piece. Second time I was amazed by how purposeful the cross cutting in timelines is, how vibrant the look of the movie is, how perfectly it comes all together narratively and emotionally.

This movie proved to me more than anything that Greta is the real deal. Not because Lady Bird is bad, it's great, but in this one she's so much in control of every aspect of the project it's very impressive. It feels like someone's 13th movie not the third. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I loved this the first time around and a second viewing just re-confirmed that (and then some). 

• Astonished 1