WrathOfHan

WrathOfHan and Eric's CONTROVERSIAL Predictions of 2020

October 16

Snake Eyes: This really does show how dire Paramount is at the moment. The previous GI Joe movies weren’t that big to begin with, so what shot does this spin-off have? Not even mentioning the creative team behind it. The director of Allegiant and the writer of Huntsman: Winter’s War doesn’t make me hopeful for anything good. Sorry Henry Golding. You deserve better. 18/43 (2.39x)

Halloween Kills: While I’m optimistic for A Quiet Place’s sequel, I’m not seeing the same thing for this one. All the nostalgia and JLC hype from the first one will be nonexistent here, and I don’t feel like people were all that jazzed for the last Halloween in the first place, so a big drop should happen. But it could just get past the century mark, since there’s very little in the way of horror this October. 45/100 (2.22x)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

October 23

Everybody’s Talking About Jamie: I like the premise, but I’m not a huge fan of the pre-Halloween release date. It’ll probably get lost in the shuffle once November rolls around. I don’t have anything else to say, and I want to get this month over with, so let’s just say this does around Judy numbers. 8/28 (3.5x)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, Thelasttroll said:

Why y'all down in Ghostbusters you realize it's a sequel to 1 and 2 and not another reboot right

The same reason why Dark Fate died. It’s obvious that the brand has little overseas appeal and the 2016 film beat it to the punch, so all of it’s nostalgia is used up.

November 6

The Eternals: Papa Feige has something special up his sleeves with this one, I can smell it. Not just because of director Chloe Zhao (Please see The Rider) nor the cast, but just in the way it fits into the Marvel universe. Celestial beings, alien races, century-spanning storyline, cosmic intergalactic shit. It all sounds so grand and epic and cool that I think it’ll really show like that in the movie. Outside of that, there’s pretty much nothing competition-wise until Thanksgiving (I know there’s Godzilla vs. Kong, but uh.... 😬), and Marvel is still likely going to be the biggest thing ever by this point, so expect another winner. And y’know what, let’s predict a big winner. 140/400 (2.86x)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 5

November 13

Dark Water: Adrian Lyne finally returns after an 18-year hiatus. Lyne’s work is arguably hit-and-miss, so I’m not expecting anything amazing critically, but the premise is good, and the cast is strong, especially since Ana de Armas is arguably the breakout star of Knives Out. Only other concern is how Disney/Fox can handle this being sandwiched inbetween both Eternals and Raya, but I’m sure Disney will have some idea on what they’re doing. 23/70 (3.04x)

Clifford the Big Red Dog: Now that’s what I call nostalgia! I loved the PBS show and the books growing up. Let’s see who is in charge of this...Walt Becker, the director of Wild Hogs, Old Dogs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip

giphy.gif

And Paramount wonders why they’re in last place. 15/45 (3x)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

November 20

Happiest Season: A lesbian Christmas romcom? The POWAH of Love, Simon. And I guess that’s a good idea on where it’ll open and end at. The premise seems like one that will get plenty of positive headlines, and should be enough of a warm crowdpleaser, especially with the Christmas season ahead of it. Unless it really turns out bad, it’ll be a modest little moneymaker. 15/60 (4x)

Godzilla vs. Kong: For what it’s worth, King Kong is more recognizable and a bigger draw than Mothra and Ghidora. So I can see a scenario where there’s a bit more interest among casual fans and the GA compared to King of the Monsters. But....yeah, this won’t do well. Ignoring The Eternals, people got burned by the last couple Godzilla movies and I think  people just don’t really care about these monsters or this shared universe anymore. Better than King of the Monsters? Maybe. I’m not predicting that, but it’s not impossible. But don’t expect something great here. 35/90 (2.57x)

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

November 25

King Richard: Serena Williams is basically the biggest thing in tennis right now, so I think a biopic about her and Venus and their relationship with their dad has great potential box office wise. Will Smith starring also doesn’t hurt. Let’s just say Creed numbers for right now. 30/40/105 (3.5x, 2.62x)

Raya and the Last Dragon: After a slew of sequels, it is nice to see Disney Animation follow Pixar and go back to their bread and butter and create new and exciting IPs, and this sounds like another winner. Being a more action-heavy movie helps it stand out compared to the other Princess movies, and with the directors also having a lot of experience working on Disney’s previous hit films this past decade, I think they have an idea on what people like to see. It also helps that December looks really weak this year, so late legs could be easier to obtain. 60/85/265 (4.42x, 3.12x)

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

12 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

The same reason why Dark Fate died. It’s obvious that the brand has little overseas appeal and the 2016 film beat it to the punch, so all of it’s nostalgia is used up.

The 2016 film was a reboot, not a sequel. And audiences these days can tell

the difference 

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The 2016 film was a reboot, not a sequel. And audiences these days can tell

the difference 

Audience do know the difference but Ghostbusters is pretty much a no one cares franchise.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Audience do know the difference but Ghostbusters is pretty much a no one cares franchise.

We won’t know for sure until it comes out. Trailer seems to be getting a positive response everywhere and Jumanji shows you can make a sequel to anything 

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

We won’t know for sure until it comes out. Trailer seems to be getting a positive response everywhere and Jumanji shows you can make a sequel to anything 

I think the GA really doesn't look at Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle as a sequel. Like, I don't know a single person who thinks it is a sequel. Everyone just thinks it is a reboot with new cast.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Jumanji had a beloved first with a stronger marketing campaign and reception than GB2016 and likely GB2.

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think the GA really doesn't look at Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle as a sequel. Like, I don't know a single person who thinks it is a sequel. Everyone just thinks it is a reboot with new cast.

Yes that and the Jumanji franchise has a fun jungle adventure like feel with big stars which is somewhat rare in a sea of Disney blockbusters. Besides not much we’re nostalgic about the first, and from a glance nostalgia only really works nowadays for Disney, as we’ve seen what happened to Pikachu.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Jhtnq.gif

October 2

Venom 2: This movie has Woody Harrelson in an afro. It is for sure increasing on that account alone. However, there are other reasons to buy into an increase. The first Venom was goofy fun that most audiences enjoyed, and it was a monster hit WW. Combined with Eminem’s glorious theme and Tom Hardy’s mumbling, it was the perfect storm, and an even bigger one is coming. 90/240 (2.67x)

The Trial of the Chicago 7: This sounds like a Sorkin movie alright. This cast is absolutely bonkers, and with Sorkin’s track record, there’s little reason for me to doubt its quality and box office potential. In a weak month, this can easily leg it out. My only concern is competition from Newark, but I think both can co-exist. 30/120 (4x)

• Like 2
  • Astonished 2