Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

51 minutes ago, jedijake said:

If they target $200-$300 million box office hits with a lower budget, then they may be okay. The ONLY scheduled Marvel film with the chance of hitting $1 billion WW and/or $500 million domestic is Black Panther 2. Strange and Thor won't do it. GOTG3 won't do it (that ship has sailed). Eternals and Shang-Chi are complete wildcards but there's no reason to project them coming close. And Black Widow? Can anyone say "Solo"?

I'd go out on a limb and say that absolutely NO film has a chance of $600 million domestic in the next 10 years perhaps. That includes any Avatar movie. TROS was the last chance and they blew it.

imagine thinking that not a single one of the Avengers, Star Wars, or Avatar films in the next ten years will break 600M.

:hahaha::sparta:

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

IMO this is one of the worst takes and is part of why people are surprised that ROS is nearing freefall status right now. I truly don't understand how people think it's a good movie, FORGET about a good setup for a sequel.

The fact that you COULD go somewhere after TLJ doesnt change that the movie AS WRITTEN works as a conclusion. I explained this elsewhere, but it ends similarly to 2009 Star Trek, where yeah the characters' lives go on but it's also a fine ending point on its own.  There's a difference between something being resolved and something feeling like a resolution.

If you have to sit down in a writer's room for an afternoon to figure out what hooks you have going into the next movie, that's a pretty shitty setup for the next movie, as the average person is not going to think about it that deeply. Logic and rational thought don't matter here. In other words, if it feels like an ending, to the average viewer its gonna be an ending.

Furthermore, each of your points are already things that TLJ resolved in its own story or retreaded from force awakens:

1)Kylo already went full villain when he killed Han. They retread the inner conflict from TFA when he hesitated to kill his mother. He goes full ragebaby when he sees Luke, and since Luke is one of the HEROES, that already cements him as a villain turning his back on a possible redemption.

2)Clunky "spark that will light the fire blahblahbalh" line already has some payoff when they set up that Luke's final stand inspired a new generation of fighters

3)Ultimate fight between Rey and Kylo after their doubts? They already fought once, she won, and the movie ends with him being outsmarted. The broken lightsaber scene shows they are about equal in strength. Why should I care about any further confrontation between them? All evidence suggests Rey would win again.  Not only that, but she already rejected his offer to join up, so there isn't even the hook of potential ideological union between them.

4)By the end of TLJ Rey has already performed almost all known (via the films) Jedi abilities anyway.

5)Why have him die if he's just going to show up as a force ghost to help her finish training?

TLJ goes out of its way to shoot down any interesting ideas that it brings up. Everything else is just a waste of time retread of TFA. There is no good place for the story to go after ep 8, so much so that I've seen several people say they're going to just consider 8 the ending :rofl:

The average person doesn’t need to think deeply about that hook, the writers need to do that and find an interesting way to tell it, but I’m not continue to discuss that, my point remains the same and i’m not gonna keep repeating myself. 

The only thing that i’m going to say is one word: context. Just because some things kinda happened in one context doesn’t mean they can’t be applied to other context and then evolve from that. 

bye

17 minutes ago, a2k said:

re-watching TPM. JJB has made the entry and they go under-water. perfectly pleasing so far.

"we don't have enough power to get us to coruscant"

"we need to land somewhere to re-fuel"

TLJ addressing re-fueling irked fan-boys.

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

If they target $200-$300 million box office hits with a lower budget, then they may be okay. The ONLY scheduled Marvel film with the chance of hitting $1 billion WW and/or $500 million domestic is Black Panther 2. Strange and Thor won't do it. GOTG3 won't do it (that ship has sailed). Eternals and Shang-Chi are complete wildcards but there's no reason to project them coming close. And Black Widow? Can anyone say "Solo"?

I'd go out on a limb and say that absolutely NO film has a chance of $600 million domestic in the next 10 years perhaps. That includes any Avatar movie. TROS was the last chance and they blew it.

Ooof.

I know these are trying times for the Star Wars brand but there's more likely to be a shock $600M grosser next year than none for the whole decade.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

When you’re in a franchise you have to do that or you risk breaking the whole thing. Directors shouldn’t always be thinking of it but it damn should by a producers number one job so the biggest failure of this trilogy was Kennedy 

You misspelled Iger.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Avatree said:

imagine thinking that not a single one of the Avengers, Star Wars, or Avatar films in the next ten years will break 600M.

:hahaha::sparta:

I do, very much. Marvel is of course a wild card because of new properties and BP2. But I cannot fathom an Avatar or especially a SW movie making $600 million. SW likely won't touch $500 million domestic and $400 million is a long shot.

We're talking domestic, not WW.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Maybe Colin Trevorrow was a better choice :sparta:

I surely would have paid money to see Palpatine putting a raptor mask on his head and riding a motorcycle through the jungle, killing Ewoks left and right and opening his own Star Wars Theme park.

6 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

I mean the sure but she was the head of Lucas film so this was her responsibility 

Does she set release dates? You need time to figure out a long-term plan. Let’s not forget THE LAST JEDI was supposed to hit 17 months after THE FORCE AWAKENS.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Does she set release dates? You need time to figure out a long-term plan. Let’s not forget THE LAST JEDI was supposed to hit 17 months after THE FORCE AWAKENS.

They bought the thing in 2012 Force Awakens came out three years later they had a bit of time