Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

1 minute ago, #ED said:

So...not to spin this...

But 22M is still good money.

Good is the eye of the beholder. 22M as a number is fine but factoring in, it dropped 14% yesterday and another 14% today, compared to the competition that's a horrible number.

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Good is the eye of the beholder. 22M as a number is fine but factoring in, it dropped 14% yesterday and another 14% today, compared to the competition that's a horrible number.

Aren’t sequels frontloaded? Nothing new.

• Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Are y’all still doing this shtick?

It’s honestly very unclear what shtick you even mean here. There are, arguably, quite a few shticks that one might perceive to be going on in a weekend thread where a SW trilogy finale is getting terrible numbers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Rian Johnson J.J. Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy have killed this trilogy and severely damaged the brand. They should be proud of their achievement it takes effort to fuck up this bad. J.J. for having no creativity and reboating ANJ and resetting all of our heroes and the universe to their original states to sate his nostalgia boner. But he did leave potential for future films, there was still hope here 

Rian Johnson for taking that hope and just murdering making a nihilistic movie   nothing matters. Where our symbol of heroism is turned into an attempted child murderer then killed off. And all of the new heroes are wasted. Making matters worse the film breaks Star Wars lore and ends with such finality that there is no where to go. There are no hooks, nothing to excite fans for the next movie. It’s the film which broke the fanbase and made everyone else disinterested 

Then J.J. came back threw everything at the wall hoping something would stick but nothing did. Brought back Palpatine and in so doing made the whole plot of the first six movies irrelevant and pointless ( the final insult to the fans of the old movies) and ended the franchise with a whimper 

And Kennedy supervised this mess, letting a trilogy go forward with no story and let two directors give each other a series of metaphorical middle fingers in the forms of their movies negating the ones the other made.

What a hilarious and heartbreaking mess. 

Boomboom - I could never write something like that based on how I felt the box office was doing. 

The movie is way better than what you have just splurged. The film took years of people’s devotion and labour to produce/create. 

all kudos to you if you think there need to be firings etc, but really? 

to this Star Wars fan, and countless fans around the world - we liked this movie a whole bunch. 

I don’t consider this a heartbreaking mess in the slightest as a fan from 1977. What say you? I mean, how old are you out of interest? Are you of the same age as me? Are you genuinely heartbroken from a movie that adores 1977-1983 as much me? If so, then honestly, how did you feel from 1999-2005? I’m fascinated. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, #ED said:

Not to this degree when they opened 50M less than the last one. Usually sequel frontloadedness occurs because of rush factor but TROS has shown no rush or at least SW rush and still going to end up with worse multiplier than TLJ, not good anyway you look at it. At this rate, 475M will be a struggle which is just slightly over half of SW7. Lost over half of the audience in 4 years, absolutely horrible. 

Not even factoring in better holiday alignment compared to TLJ, these holds are just shocking.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Nova said:

I’m going out to lunch in a few hours with a childhood friend and they have free movie tickets so they asked if I wanted to go. Of course I’m not passing up an opportunity to go to the movies so I asked what they wanted to watch and they go “The only movie I know out is Frozen 2.” 

Safe to say I cancelled our lunch plans and I’m now in search of a new childhood friend. Any takers? 

GiVe DiSnEy MoNeY

FUND FROZEN 3

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

It’s honestly very unclear what shtick you even mean here. There are, arguably, quite a few shticks that one might perceive to be going on in a weekend thread where a SW trilogy finale is getting terrible numbers.

I meant the behavior from some people in the thread.

21 minutes ago, #ED said:

So...not to spin this...

But 22M is still good money.

This forum likes things they don't agree with or like to fail. Like another forum, but at least that one was put out of its misery.

I mean yeah, technically Star Wars may, and I'm gagging as I say this, underperform with just a little over a billion worldwide  but that would make it one more billion+ movie Disney has done this year - with Avengers, Captain Marvel, Lion King and Frozen.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It is good. Don't reward studios when they fuck up beloved properties. I remember when Justice League died I took comfort in the fact that heads would roll at WB and that Snyder would never be allowed near DC properties again. His golden boy days were done for good. Lucky Kevin Tsujihara was axed eventually for other reasons of course but I'm just glad that he is gone.

ELUUta_XsAAv9d4?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Boomboom - I could never write something like that based on how I felt the box office was doing. 

The movie is way better than what you have just splurged. The film took years of people’s devotion and labour to produce/create. 

all kudos to you if you think there need to be firings etc, but really? 

to this Star Wars fan, and countless fans around the world - we liked this movie a whole bunch. 

I don’t consider this a heartbreaking mess in the slightest as a fan from 1977. What say you? I mean, how old are you out of interest? Are you of the same age as me? Are you genuinely heartbroken from a movie that adores 1977-1983 as much me? If so, then honestly, how did you feel from 1999-2005? I’m fascinated. 

Haha it was bit over dramatic but I meant it as my last word. Still home for the holidays and these cfb games suck so needed to entertain myself somehow

I’m in my 20s so grew up in the prequel era as a kid and like all kids back then loved them and the OT. I know the problems with the prequels and do see them but will always look at them fondly for that reason but I do love ROTS and will rank it my third favorite. 

I was really into Star Wars as a kid read a lot of the expanded universe books and played the games. 

So when Disney bought it I was excited for more movies but it was bittersweet because I knew it meant the EU was over.

I was excited for these movies and even liked TFA until I thought more about it. I realize a lot of people worked hard on these movies and cared but they for me are just bad movies that do nothing for the universe. They are unoriginal and uninteresting. But my biggest issue with them is what they do to the characters from the OT they make them all depressing shadows of what they once were. Like turning Superman into an Alcoholic or Batman into a murderer. I compare it to where the characters were in the EU and I’m sad. 

I’m happy you liked them but they’re  just not for me. I’m not going to say something stupid like this killed my childhood or some other man baby line. These movies are what they are but I’m no longer excited for new Star Wars and that makes me a bit upset. 

Edited by boomboom234
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, #ED said:

I think the main problem is that it's isn't normal dropping so many times during holiday season. I mean, that's meant to boost the movie's numbers and not decrease them.

Besides, this is the finale of a 40 years old saga.  Post holiday's legs are usually a disaster. For example, TLJ only made 48 million more after the first weekend of the new year ( 2018 ) and the domestic number was at 572 million.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

This forum likes things they don't agree with or like to fail. Like another forum, but at least that one was put out of its misery.

I mean yeah, technically Star Wars may, and I'm gagging as I say this, underperform with just a little over a billion worldwide  but that would make it one more billion+ movie Disney has done this year - with Avengers, Captain Marvel, Lion King and Frozen.

People need to get over this 1B=success mentality. It’s outdated.

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think the main problem is that it's isn't normal dropping so many times during holiday season. I mean, that's meant to boost the movie's numbers and not decrease them.

Besides, this is the finale of a 40 years old saga.  Post holiday's legs are usually a disaster. For example, TLJ only made 48 million more after the first weekend of the new year ( 2018 ) and the domestic number was at 572 million.

Is it me or this wasn’t marketed as the finale till tickets went on sale? 

Either way, I don’t see the studios being upset about the total gross. It’s disappointing of course, to us.

• Disbelief 2