Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

I do get the disappointment of lazy finish. Rey's character and abilities made no sense. I would rather have seen more mutiny from former and even current starship troopers.

My expectations were much lower after TLJ and frankly TPM and many others. Star wars to me never felt that epic and doesn't feel epic at all now. It felt like a fun franchise. I like it similar to HP but less so.

I like Star Wars but I'm not a mega fan. I suppose that's why Skywalker being bad doesn't hurt me much. I thought the prequels, Rogue One and Skywalker were bad movies and I thought Star Wars, Empire, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens ranged from pretty good to great in the case of Empire. Solo and Return of the Jedi only rank okay to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure how people can project 300m out of Jumanji next level. Its 3rd weekend of 33m isn't far higher than Hobbit 2: DOS' 29m.

While DoS reached 189m by its 3rd week, jumanji will likely reach 173m by Sunday. J3:NL is still 16m behind DoS and DOS ended with 258m.   

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I am not sure how people can project 300m out of Jumanji next level. Its 3rd weekend of 33m isn't far higher than Hobbit 2: DOS' 29m.

While DoS reached 189m by its 3rd week, jumanji will likely reach 173m by Sunday. J3:NL is still 16m behind DoS and DOS ended with 258m.   

Jumanji started with 58, (right?) while Hobbit started at 79. so obviously Jumanji trend is better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Jumanji started with 58, (right?) while Hobbit started at 79. so obviously Jumanji trend is better.

Hobbit 2 started at 73m Jumanji clearly trend better that would need 5x multiplier. 

Hobbit 2 reached 2.57x by end of 3rd week while J3 will be at around 2.9x, isn't far better from Hobbit 2 

JUM is on pace for a 5x finish (296.25).

ITSV did 5.38x which would give 318.5+ but always was a tough ask as a sequel and non-animation.

That it will stay close to 300 is a great result especially compared to what tracking pointed to a few days before release.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Star Wars but I'm not a mega fan. I suppose that's why Skywalker being bad doesn't hurt me much. I thought the prequels, Rogue One and Skywalker were bad movies and I thought Star Wars, Empire, The Last Jedi and The Force Awakens ranged from pretty good to great in the case of Empire. Solo and Return of the Jedi only rank okay to me.

Sames. Tfa was my fave of this trilogy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Yes, I'll happily cede that this is a more important dynamic.

However one feels about the entertainment value as blockbuster fare, Star Wars simply hasn't produced a great movie, give or take Rogue One and how one feels about it, for nearly 40 years. And even with those great movies there are those who won't take to the dated FX/nature of the dialogue/different style etc

I'm only ok with Star Wars. And other than the fact I see most movies I could give or take it.

It also struggles to be a 'World" IMO far more than, say, Harry Potter or even Pandora, hence why I think Galaxy's Edge has struggled (pre: all-time-great-ride) to create an immersive experience. The 'world' is kind of just generic sci-fi could-be-anything space. It's the characters and feel people were initially invested in.

PT had very strong worldbuilding and from what I've seen was pretty well received in China (though market was small at the time).