Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

11 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

There were those people but most of them were just people on the internet. Most of the people that I saw that look at the movie industry seriously (and not just from a fans perspective) thought that it was likely that there might be a bit of a drop. And honestly I don't think anybody was counting in it getting a 57% RT score. If people knew beforehand that it was going to be reviewed that badly I think many would be saying it wouldn't do as well as it is currently doing. 

You give Rotten Tomatoes too much credit. Plenty of people ignored films mixed reception this year and in past years. If 200+mil dollars worth of people wanted to see Rise opening weekend then they would have. The mixed reviews wouldn't have stopped that from happening.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

It could be the result that TROS under RO for both DOM & WW

33. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest $1.066

34. Joker ($1.063 +)

35. Rogue One $1.056

36. Aladdin $1.050

37. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $1.046

Edited by Bart Allen

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You give Rotten Tomatoes too much credit. Plenty of people ignored films mixed reception this year and in past years. If 200+mil dollars worth of people wanted to see Rise opening weekend then they would have. The mixed reviews wouldn't have stopped that from happening.

I don't think you give the impact critic reviews have enough credit. If Rise had as good of reviews as TLJ or TFA had you would have likely seen another 200m+ opening. When was the last time you saw a poorly reviewed movie open domestically to more than TROS did?

Edited by RockyMountain

8 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

I don't think you give the impact critic reviews have enough credit. If Rise had as good of reviews as TLJ or TFA had you would have likely seen another 200m+ opening. When was the last time you saw a poorly reviewed movie open domestically to more than TROS did?

The reviews were mixed. The Lion King 2019 had a bigger opening with the same mixed reviews.

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The reviews were mixed. The Lion King 2019 had a bigger opening with the same mixed reviews.

And people already knew what the story was with Lion King regardless of what reviews were. TROS was a brand new movie.

Edited by RockyMountain

4 minutes ago, Welfin said:

Skywalker could miss a billion.

Let’s get through the New Year before we declare the sky(walker) is falling. Thanks 😊 

==

And I think the WOM is more Important than the critics on a franchise film. I might not care what a film critic says but if a trusted friend doesn’t like it then I might have a reason to pause. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

It’s been what 19 months since solo ? Which majority of Star Wars fans didn’t watch in theatres since it bombed lol 

So I don’t know the over saturated aspect with this movie

Five movies since 2015. Back in the previous trilogies we would have only had two movies in a four year period.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 8:13 PM, Cappoedameron said:

Oh I promise you they will care about the person that made The Last Jedi returning to SW.

This is the same reaction we had for people saying oh shut up you'll watch 9.

Weekdays weren't that good either. It grossed like $3M on its second Monday 

Edited by StarWarsMemer

45 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Five movies since 2015. Back in the previous trilogies we would have only had two movies in a four year period.

5 movies in 5 years? Next thing you’ll be telling me is they were planned by a 5 year old with a box of crayons in some Mickey Mouse company! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thursday decreases are quite strange, only Frozen increased in the top 10 (+33.6%). I totally expected Jumanji to at least stay flat.

In 2013:

Hobbit: DOS +13.1%

Hunger Games: CF +20.2%

Frozen +43.3% (wow)

Let's hope for decent increases on Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1