Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Something tells me you don’t know how the box office works this time of the year. That’s the only thing that explains this comment. 

The dramatic posting style that some people like to have within this thread gets a little annoying after a while. There are a lot of people over-dramatizing things.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

DL: Theaters don't care that TROS couldn't match TLJ because they already earned huge money from popcorn and drank soda. And they are happy to let Disney have 95% box office revenue. 

Disney takes 95%, that is criminal, why don't other studios have that deal, The FTC needs to break up disney, and look into their corrupt practices

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

Star Wars underperforming has really taken the spot light off this film being one of the biggest bombs of the year in every single aspect one could think of: critically, awards, box office, audience reception etc 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

I thought Knives Out was  just ok. I'm surprised it's doing that good. Daniel Craig didn't have to do much sleuthing. It was more of a comedy.

It's a comedy on the surface but there is a large political undertone saying an awful lot about the juxtaposition between aristocratic feudal societies and supposedly "meritocratic" deregulated capitalism. As is highlighted by the dialogue at the end with Chris Evans. And indeed the fact that this is framed as a Peter Whimsy style historic mystery among the landed gentry despite the fact that it's set in present day America. It's ingenious, actually.

Knives Out and Little Women doing well warms my cockles, frankly. A delightful bit of justice. And while I haven't seen Uncut Gems, also great to see the wonderful A24 reel in some $$$.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

The dramatic posting style that some people like to have within this thread gets a little annoying after a while. There are a lot of people over-dramatizing things.

There's no drama. A movie that's being sold as the finale of a 40 years old saga, shouldn't be dropping during a holiday week.

Holiday season usually boosts performances, but TROS is dropping. This is not good. Why? Because post holiday's legs aren't gonna be good. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I guess Cats will lose a lot of theaters this week and KO will recover a lot of them

3380 theaters for a movie that is probably doing 2-3M next weekend is absurd

Cats, Richard Jewell and even Bombshell (Lionsgate made a big awards push for the wrong movie) should all be shedding theaters before KO. It's also earning more than UG in it's 5th w/e in 300+ fewer theaters.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

There's no drama. A movie that's being sold as the finale of a 40 years old saga, shouldn't be dropping during a holiday week.

Holiday season usually boosts performances, but TROS is dropping. This is not good. Why? Because post holiday's legs aren't gonna be good. 

Oh there is a whole lot of over-dramatizing going on. I'm not trying to say that TROS is doing great by any means but all these doom and gloom scenarios for a movie that will have likely crossed 800m WW in under two weeks is a little ridiculous. 

Edited by RockyMountain