Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

It’s wild to see a credible outlet like Deadline and twitter users with blue check marks make such wild statements regarding TROS box office. I don’t know if it’s cause these people are in denial or what but honestly it irks me because there are people who know nothing about the box office reading what they’re saying and thinking TROS is going to make $620M domestically and a billion by the end of the week WW. As someone who was lucky enough to find this forum early on in my days of box office tracking, I’d have been gullible enough to believe what these people wrote if I hadn’t. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

No they are paid because they are professionals. If anybody here has any desire at all to get into the box office business they need to be a lot more professional than most are here.

A professional doesn’t continue to publish misguided numbers/statements when data clearly indicates otherwise. A professional correctly explains why comparing TROS to TLJ 1:1 is not an accurate way to predict TROS box office run going forward. A professional admits that they were mistaken with their predicts early on and actually gives their readers a realistic range of where TROS ends up. I can’t say any of this about the so called professionals at Deadline or Scott Mendelson but I can say that about several members here. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I don't think it's good for a trilogy to end with about half of what the first did. Shows declining interest. Force Awakens was such a massive success that even half is still a big success. 

I think going below the 2nd film by 25%+  shows declining interest. 

But NONE of them were going to match TFA just as ESB and ROTJ didn't come near Star Wars. 

TFA was not only a decade from the last SW film it was 32 years since Han, Luke and Leia appeared on screen and their return is what made the first film so massive (far ahead of TPM which was also the biggest of it's trilogy).    After that novelty it was never reaching those heights again - especially with Han dead.  Then Luke was killed off...  

I was more disappointed in TFA than TROS in it's treatment of Han, it's half assed Han/Leia scenes and it's half a second of Luke.  Not having them on screen together or share even one interesting scene among 2 of them was a serious failure.  Yes the trilogy was about introducing the new but the huge interest was because of the old and it wasn't enough to maintain the heights of interest .  For all the kvetching about Luke's characterization in TLJ he had far more interesting stuff to do than Han or Leia.  The big mistake was killing him off at least a film too soon.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

lmfao this can feasibly make less than half of TFA did just 4 years ago?

That is a complete disaster, especially for the "end" of the "Skywalker Saga".  This is what happens when you make a really terrible film(TLJ) and immediately follow it up with another one.

How does KK keep her job much longer after TLJ, SoLow, and this

Is there some medical compulsion for people to constantly announce that they didn't like TLJ and also to try to tie everything that ever happened to the fact that they didn't like TLJ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

11 minutes ago, Nova said:

It’s wild to see a credible outlet like Deadline and twitter users with blue check marks make such wild statements regarding TROS box office. I don’t know if it’s cause these people are in denial or what but honestly it irks me because there are people who know nothing about the box office reading what they’re saying and thinking TROS is going to make $620M domestically and a billion by the end of the week WW. As someone who was lucky enough to find this forum early on in my days of box office tracking, I’d have been gullible enough to believe what these people wrote if I hadn’t. 

tumblr_lpp4reNxHe1qjemo2o1_500.gif

• Like 2

This whole Rise is outpacing Last jedi is so stupid, like they didn't even bother to open Box office mojo to see that Last Jedi Day 10 (total: $368m) was December 24, while Rise of Skywalker Day 10 (total: $361m) is December 29....:gold:

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, edroger3 said:

International total of SW is 90M under Frozen 2 (453) by 2nd Sunday. F2 had 85% of market in week 1 and 95% in week 2, SW had 97% both weeks. F2 had no holidays inflating weekdays.

Only 94m in the 2nd weekend internationally?  That sounds horrible for legs.  I mean what, next weekend internationally will be sub-40m?  How in the world does this make it past 1b WW?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

What?, it only needs another $274mil and has just had a $166mil worldwide weekend, it would have to drop off a cliff from here on in to not hit a billion.

Basically at this point for it to not cross a billion they would virtually need to stop showing it in Europe. 

9 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

What?, it only needs another $274mil and has just had a $166mil worldwide weekend, it would have to drop off a cliff from here on in to not hit a billion.

Are you saying it's not dropping off a cliff?

Just now, REC said:

Only 94m in the 2nd weekend internationally?  That sounds horrible for legs.  I mean what, next weekend internationally will be sub-40m?  How in the world does this make it past 1b WW?

South Korea will push it over a billion. :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

I was in denial when I first joined as well about the BvS run. I never knew anything about box office so I would also just see gitesh post and be like “see”, he said it would make a billion etc. Lol, If I only knew then what I know now.

A lot of new people who join the boards are hardcore fanboys of something and it’s never easy to see/admit something you love is either failing or underperforming.

There are a lot of smart people on this site who know way more then any of the people who post on twitter. People do troll a bit much on here sometimes but if you can just learn to ignore certain people then you’ll be fine. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, REC said:

Are you saying it's not dropping off a cliff?

Maybe by Star Wars standards, but its going to get more than a 1.7 multiplyer of this weekend, which it needs to hit a billion. The film will probably finish closer to 1.2 bill than a billion.

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3

1 hour ago, Menor said:

At worst it will probably get close enough to push. But I doubt this will beat RO domestic or worldwide. Probably about $510 million domestic is where it's headed and at best 550 million international though I suspect it will fall below that.

There's something  wrong when the finale of the entire sage makes less then the one off film. I mean yikes.

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Maybe by Star Wars standards, but its going to get more than a 1.7 multiplyer of this weekend, which it needs to hit a billion. The film will probably finish closer to 1.2 bill than a billion.

Inflated weekend by holidays -> brutal drop next weekend.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I was in denial when I first joined as well about the BvS run. I never knew anything about box office so I would also just see gitesh post and be like “see”, he said it would make a billion etc. Lol, If I only knew then what I know now.

A lot of new people who join the boards are hardcore fanboys of something and it’s never easy to see/admit something you love is either failing or underperforming.

There are a lot of smart people on this site who know way more then any of the people who post on twitter. People do troll a bit much on here sometimes but if you can just learn to ignore certain people then you’ll be fine. 

This would be a decent place if there wasn't so many drama filled posting styles. If people put a little more emphasis on just looking at numbers and less emphasis on what nifty meme to load up.

To be honest as it is now this place resembles a Geeks and Gamers forum more than it does a place to seriously look at box office results.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Cappoedameron said:

There's something  wrong when the finale of the entire sage makes less then the one off film. I mean yikes.

I look forward to your next post where you say the exact same thing for the 700th time.

• Like 15