Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Ah. The old "I haven't seen the movie but....." move.

This truly is the weakest of sauce.

PS: Even this opinion article, by a single Irish journo who isn't even from the movie trades and is trying to boost the movie because Saiorse Ronan is a beloved local, doesn't really imply that it should be "winning everything". Merely that you would think it would have been nominated for something by now given the quality of the film. 

PPS: The observation that the movie shows technical excellence and is much beloved by most who have seen it juxtaposed against its lack of nominations thus far is of note regardless of the gender of the director. Just as it was last year with Leave No Trace, The Rider and You Were Never Really Here.

PPPS: I do hope you enjoy the film. I did. It's close to my favourite of the year, if not actually so. If not, I don't think you're a sexist. Though I might think you don't necessarily have the best taste. 

Really hoping it can make it to the $100m mark, along with Uncut Gems and Knives Out as the big wins of the season. (Well, Frozen 2 is the big win of the season, but otherwise)

I'm not trying to use "I haven't seen this but" as 'sauce' I just want to preface that I haven't seen it so anything I'm saying is coming from the context of someone who hasn't yet watched it. 

Yea I think it looks great, and I really hope it is great. You could say I've had pretty horrible taste this year (I liked Parasite and Irishman, but think they're a bit overrated :lol: ) but Little Women looks like something that would be more up my alley than those movies. I only used that example I gave because I googled "little women awards" and that was the first search result, not because I think it represents every opinion on the movie. 

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

The write-ups on Little Women have been totally normal, I dont know why you are acting like the decreases are even notable. It's basically stayed flat and barely dropped from it's opening on Christmas day.  This is a solid opening for an adult drama in this day and age. 

No, judging a Saoirse Ronan/Greta Gerwig movie for not making the same money as DiCaprio + Scorsese or Tarantino opening weekend is a totally reasonable response to LW's box office... 

j/k, it's massive goalpost shifting to somehow make a movie doing well so far into a failure.

I just want to say that despite some of the animosity towards/against certain movies (some of which I have definitely contributed to, and I apologize for that) I really enjoy the fact that weekend threads are FINALLY having discussions again that are (at least in part) based around box office numbers. While I could do without some of the arguments (and I will definitely tone down myself as a new years' resolution) I would love to see weekend threads be this lively in the New Year. 

• Like 1

So I decided to watch TROS and I really wish I hadn’t. I can’t remember the last time I hated literally everything a movie did to the characters of a franchise. Yet TROS somehow someway made me hate literally everything they did to the characters. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

So I decided to watch TROS and I really wish I hadn’t. I can’t remember the last time I hated literally everything a movie did to the characters of a franchise. Yet TROS somehow someway made me hate literally everything they did to the characters. 

😂 now you know what it fees like

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hw64 said:

They're very similar performance-wise - TFA certainly wasn't massively bigger than TPM.

Accounting for the effects of ticket price inflation and market expansion from 1999 to 2015, I'd say that TFA was at most 15-20% bigger than TPM worldwide.

At least domestic wise, it is massively bigger than TPM

It sold more tickets (108M) than any film since Titanic (18 years before its release)

Outdid Empire Strikes Back by 10M more tickets

And it's still the highest grossing movie ever in the US and the UK

It's gonna be a while until something outgrosses it in these markets

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Royce said:

At least domestic wise, it is massively bigger than TPM

It sold more tickets (108M) than any film since Titanic (18 years before its release)

Outdid Empire Strikes Back by 10M more tickets

And it's still the highest grossing movie ever in the US and the UK

It's gonna be a while until something outgrosses it in these markets

And yet it failed miserably in Australia. 

/s