Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

13 hours ago, Royce said:

At least domestic wise, it is massively bigger than TPM

It sold more tickets (108M) than any film since Titanic (18 years before its release)

Outdid Empire Strikes Back by 10M more tickets

And it's still the highest grossing movie ever in the US and the UK

It's gonna be a while until something outgrosses it in these markets

BOM's estimates of tickets sold shouldn't really be taken at face value for recent blockbusters. The methodology that BOM uses (dividing gross by yearly average ticket price) means that the admissions for pretty much all big blockbuster films after and including Avatar are overestimated by a chunky margin.

Rather than 108m, I'd guess that TFA sold somewhere in the region of 95-97m tickets, which would put the ticket price average at ~$9.66-$9.86; for comparison, BOM, with its yearly ticket price averages, uses an average ticket price of ~$8.66.

If you make the argument that pre-3D yearly averages are far closer to the actual average ticket price for a given blockbuster in that year (which I do), then a good estimate for TPM, which made $431,088,295 in its initial theatrical run with an average ticket price of $5.08 in 1999, would be ~84.86m tickets sold. So by any estimate, TFA was bigger than TPM and the biggest ticket seller since Titanic, but I wouldn't agree that it was leagues ahead of Episode I.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

It's not. https://screenrant.com/netflix-witcher-tv-series-demand-streaming-shows/

Could not even beat Stranger Things on its own debut week. Came 3rd overall which is still great of course.

Funny timing, the new list was just released. It is still garbage but The Witcher is at the top now so... what were you saying again?

Overall-3.jpg

1 hour ago, ZeeSoh said:

But to think it is the #1 in a year of Stranger Things and Mandalorian release is just crazy and fanboyish

I said it may end up the #1 new series of 2019 in viewers. Stranger Things isn't new (and probably wouldn't be #1 overall anyway compared to Game of Thrones or some network shows). Perhaps read more carefully next time. And again, Mandalorian isn't even a contender - talk about fanboyism.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

As for The Mandalorian, Disney+ doesn't have the reach of Netflix (and isn't even available in most countries). Thinking that Mandalorian is anywhere near #1 in viewers because Baby Yoda is big on Twitter is the kind of stupidity that leads one to believe Parrot rankings.

Yeh, Mandalorian isn’t out here in the UK and Disney+ doesn’t have the reach. 

All I’ve seen online are baby Yoda memes, nothing about the actual show lol. 

I’ve had people and friends offline recommend The Witcher, but we only watched the first episode. It felt like a finale instead of a first ep, so I had no idea what was going on or why I should care about the deaths/battles. Not for me. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I said it may end up the #1 new series of 2019 in viewers. Stranger Things isn't new (and probably wouldn't be #1 overall anyway compared to Game of Thrones or some network shows). Perhaps read more carefully next time. And again, Mandalorian isn't even a contender - talk about fanboyism.

Considering what a big deal Baby Yoda and how well received the finale was arguing cheap looking fantasy that is getting painfully mediocre reviews is a bigger deal than that is....bold.

• Thanks 1

So 6 underground was pretty decent. It’s a bit too long but I suppose they needed to do that to give us some background info on the characters. I’d actually be interested in seeing a sequel now that the introduction of the characters is out of the way. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

Considering what a big deal Baby Yoda and how well received the finale was arguing cheap looking fantasy that is getting painfully mediocre reviews is a bigger deal than that is....bold.

What's the meaning of "bigger deal"? Again, this is about viewers - not how much you love Baby Yoda. Not enough people have Disney+ yet, maybe Mandalorian can be #1 in a couple of years but certainly not now.

2 hours ago, Menor said:

Because some people thought it worked well myself included. No "dark times", just different opinions.

Indeed. I like the prequels. Yet their scenes together in Attack of the Clones are dreadful and absolutely at the top of the worst scenes in Star Wars, let alone major event movie history. In my opinion of course :)

Clones incredibly manages to be one of those movies that’s so awful in places, but I can’t turn it off. Seen it countless times. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Indeed. I like the prequels. Yet their scenes together in Attack of the Clones are dreadful and absolutely at the top of the worst scenes in Star Wars, let alone major event movie history. In my opinion of course :)

Clones incredibly manages to be one of those movies that’s so awful in places, but I can’t turn it off. Seen it countless times. 

I understand that. But I do enjoy the Anakin/Padme scenes. I mean, I get why people dislike them as the dialogue is very cheesy and cringe. But I find the lines perfectly consistent with the characters and setting, I guess cringe in a good rather than bad way.

• ...wtf 2

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It's not. https://screenrant.com/netflix-witcher-tv-series-demand-streaming-shows/

Could not even beat Stranger Things on its own debut week. Came 3rd overall which is still great of course. 

But to think it is the #1 in a year of Stranger Things and Mandalorian release is just crazy and fanboyish

In opening week Mandalorian had 39,991.019 demand, didn't debut as first either.

unnamed.png?w=635&h=423

The Witcher debuted with 126,818,590 was much higher.

and this is on USA , overseas The Witcher advantage will probably be  bigger,, Star wars is not strong OS as it is in the USA.

Edited by Marcos12

53 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

In USA, Mandalorian may even be more popular than The Witcher, but on the international market The Witcher will be much more popular, but I don't think it will beat  Stranger Things popularity.

I think people are really overstating how popular The Mandalorian is.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Netflix released their most popular films of 2019 for each international country. 

6 Underground was above The Irishman in all of them 😂😂

I watched it last night, completely mindless eye candy but watchable. Some great set pieces.  

Excellent some days I need crap like this. Will check it out

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Marcos12 said:

In opening week Mandalorian had 39,991.019 demand, didn't debut as first either.

unnamed.png?w=635&h=423

The Witcher debuted with 126,818,590 was much higher.

and this is on USA , overseas The Witcher advantage will probably be  bigger,, Star wars is not strong OS as it is in the USA.

This is because Mandalorian is a weekly show while The Witcher releases the whole season at once. It's very unfair to compare them directly.

This week Mandalorian has 112m demands while the Witcher only 64m.

https://www.businessinsider.com/top-netflix-streaming-shows-this-week-the-witcher-the-expanse-2019-12#3-the-witcher-netflix-7

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 2

All of Europe by end 2020 for Disney plus. Globally end of 2021 with a few exceptions perhaps. Global subscribers will skyrocket as it's soooooo cheap and easy to share for families. 4 separate streams, 7 profiles with 4k is cheap at $7 hell cheap at $9.99. Annual discount is there too.