Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

12 hours ago, Wonder Midget said:

It was meant to be uncomfortable and creepy. Besides Anakin 's stalkerish actions, the two bond when Anakin tells Padme about killing the Sand People. It's hard to find two lovers as dysfunctional as these two, especially in a "family" film.

I've never recognized this before but you're so very right.

In ESB there's real attraction between the lovers, but the background is all machinery and synthetic

Carrie-Fisher-and-Harrison-Ford.jpg

whereas there's a synthetic, forced, uncomfortable "attraction" (#Tinder) with an organic and beautiful background in AOTC

Bacio-300x169.jpg

Funny is how intimate the angle is in ESB while the shot in AOTC is from the distance, like George Lucas is saying: "This is not how Love works"

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wonder Midget said:

It was meant to be uncomfortable and creepy. Besides Anakin 's stalkerish actions, the two bond when Anakin tells Padme about killing the Sand People. It's hard to find two lovers as dysfunctional as these two, especially in a "family" film.

75Gdv.jpg

And look at this: Anakin in black, Padme in white, and a priest who very much looks like Palpatine since you cant see his face. Brilliant at its most. 

25 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

75Gdv.jpg

And look at this: Anakin in black, Padme in white, and a priest who very much looks like Palpatine since you cant see his face. Brilliant at its most. 

The prequels are full of subtle hidden poetry, but I'm not saying this as a joke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

You think Lucas was foreshadowing?! Give me a break. It was doomed to fail? We were meant to be devastated that they were tragically ripped apart by his quest to save her. His bad dreams causing him to be lured to the dark side.  We weren’t devastated though as the pair of them had zero chemistry due to awful romantic scenes and cringe-worthy dialogue. 

I don’t hate the prequels either. There’s plenty I like in them, but I genuinely cannot believe in the TROS thread there are people defending the WORST aspect in all of Star Wars 😂

Remember that exchange they have early on in Sith? “No it’s because I’m so in love with you!”

Look at how bad this scene is!!! Who goes “yeah, that’ll do! Print it!”

Absolutely goddamn awful.  

I love George Lucas as much as anyone, but he wrote and directed scenes that were agony in those prequels.  

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

You think Lucas was foreshadowing?! Give me a break. It was doomed to fail? We were meant to be devastated that they were tragically ripped apart by his quest to save her. His bad dreams causing him to be lured to the dark side.  We weren’t devastated though as the pair of them had zero chemistry due to awful romantic scenes and cringe-worthy dialogue. 

I don’t hate the prequels either. There’s plenty I like in them, but I genuinely cannot believe in the TROS thread there are people defending the WORST aspect in all of Star Wars 😂

Remember that exchange they have early on in Sith? “No it’s because I’m so in love with you!”

I love George Lucas as much as anyone, but he wrote and directed scenes that were agony in those prequels.  

I don't see why you're so worked up that some people have a different view on this (in fact most people agree with you so this is even more baffling). I think Anakin and Padme's relationship is clearly intended to be an unhealthy codependency. It wasn't his "bad dreams" that caused him to turn, it was his toxic attachment to Padme (along with other factors relating to his general distrust of the Jedi). In fact the scene you posted demonstrates this quite well, and the dialogue seems perfectly in-character for both of them. Not sure what the problem is in there. Are characters never allowed to say cringy things even though people irl say cringy things all the time to their partners?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Maybe, maybe not, but it is a shame Disney SW movies don't have futuristic "sci fi" cities anymore. Now everyone lives in abandoned bases, mud houses and caves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe, maybe not, but it is a shame Disney SW movies don't have futuristic "sci fi" cities anymore. Now everyone lives in abandoned bases, mud houses and caves.

there's a lot about the prequels which makes them stand apart and above the sequel trilogy. exploring other worlds and fleshing out the SW universe with different cultures and politics.

in 10 years time the sequel trilogy will have been forgotten, but there are things about the prequels which really leave an image in your mind.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Yeah, the "Symbolism" in Anakin and Padme's wedding which some people are praising here is painfully obvious; Beginning Film School stuff.

Fact is, both the prequels and the Disney SW films are both badly flawed; that is why I am skeptical of the "Bring Lucas Back And He Will Fix Everything" school of thought; George is perfectly capable of making bad SW films on his own.

But it gets worse; I have seen SW fans try to take the "Star Wars Holiday Special" seriously despite that Lucas himself has repeatedly shown his total contempt for the special and insisited that he had almost nothing to do with it and wished it would be totally forgotten...for which I do not blame him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Avatree said:

in 10 years time the sequel trilogy will have been forgotten, but there are things about the prequels which really leave an image in your mind.

This is true. I have developed a very unhealthy hatred of sand since i watched the prequels. Sand is everywhere, thats the course and rough thruth.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

This is true. I have developed a very unhealthy hatred of sand since i watched the prequels. Sand is everywhere, thats the course and rough thruth.

imo this was worse than sand (~2:00 onward)

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I'd say editing was his biggest flaw. His wife helped save ANH. Got assistance from s bunch of legends to make ESB a bonafide classic. Help with RotJ too. PT was more or less all him. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.

• Like 1

I've seen young awkward romances depicted before and none of them had the lousy acting and dialogue of the prequels. Take off the rose colored glasses, Lucas did not purposely make HC and Portman look like terrible actors. He just simply refused to direct them and gave them bad lines to say. 

• Like 2