Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: SW 26.2/25.3/21 72.5M | Jumanji 11.7/12.4/11 35.1M | Frozen 6/5.85/5.3 17.15M

So half a billion domestic and over a billion worldwide when all is said and done. Oddly enough, even the weakest performing Star Wars tends to do more than other movies. And I really ain't gonna say Rise of Skywalker is weak if it hits 500 million. If it petered out at 200-300, I may have thought the franchise was in trouble though.

As stated last week, even when Disney "loses," it wins. The franchise really won't have anything to worry about. It'll go in hiatus and then the next big film will come out in a few years, likely the Kevin Feige one and the franchise will have another humongous opening, rinse and repeat.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

So half a billion domestic and over a billion worldwide when all is said and done. Oddly enough, even the weakest performing Star Wars tends to do more than other movies. And I really ain't gonna say Rise of Skywalker is weak if it hits 500 million. If it petered out at 200-300, I may have thought the franchise was in trouble though.

As stated last week, even when Disney "loses," it wins.

Except that it isn't a win by any means. It shows an awful decline since it's comeback, and the only reason why it is still reaching $500m, is thanks to the huge exposure that TFA brought to this trillogy.

The next trillogy won't have that same exposure, neither will have the original trio to appeal do old fans.

And as Solow showed us, this franchise can fly way lower than this, especially OS.

The next SW movies will probably be closer to Solo's numbers than to TROS ones. 

• Like 12

I know I’ve said Kevin Feige should take over but I do wonder if he even wants the role. He seems like a person who doesn’t like putting way too much on his plate. He’s been very methodical in how he’s dealt with the MCU and making sure everything is covered before moving onto the next step. I feel like he’s going to be focused on implementing the Fox Marvel characters into the MCU while also keeping the current MCU in check. If he does get involved, I can’t imagine it would be before him having a plan in place for the rest of his universe. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Remember when people here said that everyone who was predicting Under $1b for TROS were insane?

Well, we don't look as insane right now, do we?  :stirthepot: 

You were right ... tell your sister, you were right 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Remember when people here said that everyone who was predicting Under $1b for TROS were insane?

Well, we don't look as insane right now, do we?  :stirthepot: 

I think it's impossible TROS doesn't make at least 1 billion worldwide. I mean, after this weekend , it'll be at 700 million worldwide or a little more. I can't imagine this movie doesn't make at least 255/300 million more.

Unless it heavily drops overseas.

It would need to barely make 500 million domestic ( perhaps even less ) and it would need to fail to make 500 million overseas. I think it's impossible

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I know I’ve said Kevin Feige should take over but I do wonder if he even wants the role. He seems like a person who doesn’t like putting way too much on his plate. He’s been very methodical in how he’s dealt with the MCU and making sure everything is covered before moving onto the next step. I feel like he’s going to be focused on implementing the Fox Marvel characters into the MCU while also keeping the current MCU in check. If he does get involved, I can’t imagine it would be before him having a plan in place for the rest of his universe. 

To be fair, he strikes me as an ambitious man - you would need to be do accomplish what he has - and both tasks would seem tantalizing to someone like him:

1. Nourish the MCU so that it doesn't go into a decline with the transition of focus on to new characters, and finally bringing in the huge FOX properties (most likely as a conclusion to the next phase of movies), thus ensuring continued success

2. Breathing new life into what was the biggest name in franchise cinema before he turned the MCU into the monster it now is.

I feel like, once The Eternals is out, the next few projects will have big name recognition, with returning characters (Strange, Thor, Spidey, Black Panther, etc) so he won't need to micro-manage, just make sure the path is laid out to lead into the Fox characters coming in and get more involved with the execution of those movies (casting and writing/directing duties for any X-Men and FF projects will be such huge announcements for them, I think he will want to stay very much on top of the whole thing). That should allow him to focus a bit more on SW for the second half of 2020, and into 2021, I feel...

I don't necessarily think he's a Messiah, but he is a fantastic project manager, and the one thing the Disney SW movies have sorely lacked has been a coherent voice and distinct direction. He can bring that.

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

To be fair, he strikes me as an ambitious man - you would need to be do accomplish what he has - and both tasks would seem tantalizing to someone like him:

1. Nourish the MCU so that it doesn't go into a decline with the transition of focus on to new characters, and finally bringing in the huge FOX properties (most likely as a conclusion to the next phase of movies), thus ensuring continued success

2. Breathing new life into what was the biggest name in franchise cinema before he turned the MCU into the monster it now is.

I feel like, once The Eternals is out, the next few projects will have big name recognition, with returning characters (Strange, Thor, Spidey, Black Panther, etc) so he won't need to micro-manage, just make sure the path is laid out to lead into the Fox characters coming in and get more involved with the execution of those movies (casting and writing/directing duties for any X-Men and FF projects will be such huge announcements for them, I think he will want to stay very much on top of the whole thing). That should allow him to focus a bit more on SW for the second half of 2020, and into 2021, I feel...

I don't necessarily think he's a Messiah, but he is a fantastic project manager, and the one thing the Disney SW movies have sorely lacked has been a coherent voice and distinct direction. He can bring that.

He’s 100% a very ambitious person and an amazing project manager. That’s why others and myself have thrown his name around. I def think he would be up for the project too. My only hesitation is as I said, I feel like he would want to take care of his universe first before jumping into another one. But who the hell knows with him. He probably has everything laid out for the MCU into 2023 but we just haven’t had any announcements yet. If that’s the case then I can totally seeing him jumping into the Star Wars universe sooner rather than later. But if things aren’t planned out yet, then he might get involved later. 

I def think at some point in time he will get himself involved with Star Wars. I’m just not sure if it’s sooner or later than we expect. And I think it all depends on how much he has planned out for the MCU. It also makes you wonder if say Feige says he wants to work on Star Wars but needs to iron out the MCU first, will Disney and Lucas Films be patient and wait for him? I def think they should. But who knows if Bob Iger has that kind of patience considering he pretty much rushed TFA

TROS is not missing a billion. It legit needs to start free falling in every single market and while it’s drops haven’t been great so far, they haven’t been bad either. They’ve been pretty par the course so I don’t see why it would start free falling all of a sudden. 

However I don’t believe it’ll go that much over a billion. 

36 minutes ago, Nova said:

I know I’ve said Kevin Feige should take over but I do wonder if he even wants the role. He seems like a person who doesn’t like putting way too much on his plate. He’s been very methodical in how he’s dealt with the MCU and making sure everything is covered before moving onto the next step.

Well he's making dozens of Marvel TV shows now, and soon 12 movies a year. :sparta:

I’m going out to lunch in a few hours with a childhood friend and they have free movie tickets so they asked if I wanted to go. Of course I’m not passing up an opportunity to go to the movies so I asked what they wanted to watch and they go “The only movie I know out is Frozen 2.” 

Safe to say I cancelled our lunch plans and I’m now in search of a new childhood friend. Any takers? 

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’m going out to lunch in a few hours with a childhood friend and they have free movie tickets so they asked if I wanted to go. Of course I’m not passing up an opportunity to go to the movies so I asked what they wanted to watch and they go “The only movie I know out is Frozen 2.” 

Safe to say I cancelled our lunch plans and I’m now in search of a new childhood friend. Any takers? 

Help your friend explore the world of movies further. Go watch Cats.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1