sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

21 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

next week has about 4-5 new wide releases, will TROS lose screens? I know that Disney has some weird deal that keeps their movies in biggest auditoriums for certain number of weeks despite shitty PTA. 

If it was the 4 week one the  next weekend is #4 so overall it's drops will be small for wider screen theaters. Smaller counts like 6 and under that didnt sign may very well drop it, depending on whats performing better or assumed better in an opener. 

MLK weekend should see a sizable drop across the board though since the 4 week contract is up. 

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

If it was the 4 week one the  next weekend is #4 so overall it's drops will be small for wider screen theaters. Smaller counts like 6 and under that didnt sign may very well drop it, depending on whats performing better or assumed better in an opener. 

MLK weekend should see a sizable drop across the board though since the 4 week contract is up. 

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

The Grudge is absolutely atrocious. I still can't beliebe they gathered such a massive amount of talent in front and behind the cameras only to come up with this boring piece of garbage.

Edited by CJohn

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Yikes. Year's alredy starting bad for the genre after a weak 2019 where the only break out (US), died after the OW.

Us's legs were fine. For the genre quite normal, it legged it out similar to Conjuring 2, and certainly did much better legs wise compared to movies like Halloween, Paranormal Activity, Conjuring Universe, Saw etc. It played out like a fan rush sequel to Get Out. It still did great business, making over 100m post OW. No idea why you'd single out Us's legs, they only disappointed relative to something like Get Out, but performed well compared to its horror peers

2019 also had It Chapter 2, Annabelle Comes Home, Escape Room, Pet Sematary, Crawl, Curse of La Llorona and Scary stories do solid business. Was it really such a weak year? 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

Us's legs were fine. For the genre quite normal, it legged it out similar to Conjuring 2, and certainly did much better legs wise compared to movies like Halloween, Paranormal Activity, Conjuring Universe, Saw etc. It played out like a fan rush sequel to Get Out. It still did great business, making over 100m post OW. No idea why you'd single out Us's legs, they only disappointed relative to something like Get Out, but performed well compared to its horror peers

2019 also had It Chapter 2, Annabelle Comes Home, Escape Room, Pet Sematary, Crawl, Curse of La Llorona and Scary stories do solid business. Was it really such a weak year? 

US was an highly acclaimed original (and mainstream) Horror movie, these kind of movies usually can pull an 3.0x easily, it got a bad multiple because it had mixed reception with audiences.

LOL at the Halloween, PA and Saw comparisions. TCU usually gets good legs when the movie gets good reviews, TC2 being an exception because it had huge competition.

IT2, Annabelle 3, PS were all disappointments, despite doing good numbers. Crawl and EC did ok,  but weren't break outs, Scary Stories was only USA.

When I talk about a break out, I'm talking about The Nun, Get Out, Split, these movies did DOM more than most of Horror movies grossed WW in 2019. 

I remember being at the cinema the day The Grudge opened - it was my birthday and I was seeing Napoleon Dynamite with friends, but there were so many more people there for The Grudge than I expected for both the same late afternoon showtime slot we were seeing Napoleon Dynamite and in the line for the first nighttime run after we got out. After that, I didn't find the $15 million estimate the next morning all that hard to believe.

I find it kinda ironic that it felt like the 13-to-16 set played a significant role in the success of the 2004 Grudge and the decent-ish opening of its 2006 sequel (could just be anecdotal given that I was in that age range when both of the previous American theatrical releases came out), yet the R-rating is the centerpiece of this latest remake.

20 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

US was an highly acclaimed original (and mainstream) Horror movie, these kind of movies usually can pull an 3.0x easily, it got a bad multiple because it had mixed reception with audiences.

You’re forgetting it performed like a follow up, to Get Out. 

25 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

US did quite well really... 

That’s a blatant understatement.... lol. 

US had the biggest opening weekend of all time for an original horror film. All time. 

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2020/01/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-the-grudge-uncut-gems-weekend-box-office-2020-1202820066/

2nd Update, Friday midday: As expected, Disney’s Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is continuing to dominate the box office with a third weekend take of $37.2M, -49% for a running total by Sunday of $454.3M. That third weekend take is lower than the low $40M range that was expected. Again, part of Skywalker falling behind Last Jedi has a lot to do with Christmas and New Year’s Day falling later in the latter’s run, which boosted grosses greatly. Friday for the J.J. Abrams-directed movie looks like $11.1M, -57%, still at 4,406 theaters.

Sony’s Jumanji: The Next Level will have a higher second weekend than the studio’s reboot of The Grudge, $24.55M to $13MThe Next Level looks to stand at $234.1M by Sunday at 4,134 locations. Grudge is in play at 2,642. Hopefully last night’s poor exits don’t drag the Nicolas Pesce’s weekend outlook down further. Friday for the reboot is around $5.3M including Thursday night’s $1.8M previews.

Sony also owns the No. 4 spot with the second weekend of Greta Gerwig’s Little Women with a $4.1M Friday at 3,308, -28% and a 3-day of $12M, running total of $58.4M.

Disney’s Frozen 2 refuses to die or suffer frost bite at the B.O. in weekend 7 with $11M at 3,175, with $449.5M by Sunday. That domestic total is currently 12% ahead of Frozen which finaled at $400.7M.

Fox/Disney/Blue Sky’s Spies in Disguise is seeing a second weekend of $10.4M (-22%) after a $3.2M second Friday for a running total by Sunday of $47M.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Not when you're a horror movie that opened to over $70 million. 'Us' was Jordan Peele's highly anticipated follow up to his leggy hit 'Get Out', and it netted a lot of comparisons.

We don't really have a lot of films that fall in this category, given only 5 horror movies have ever opened to over $70M:

1. It (2017) — 123.4 million 
  2. It: Chapter 2 (2019) — 91.1 million 
  3. I Am Legend (2007) — 77.2 million
  4. Halloween (2018) — 76.2 million
  5. Us (2019) — 71.1 million 

All of the films above are in 2.X multiplier range, with the exception of I Am Legend that opened in December and benefited from the December holiday period. The reception of 'Us' may have been mixed, but its box office performance, with a 70M+ opening and 2.5 multiplier, while not amazing, is not bad, IMO.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Menor said:

Not sure how they get 37 from 11.1...

They literally are both refusing to look at actual data and also need to try and not write something negative  😂😂 37m is just too high, hell 33m would be high given an 11m Friday. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeQ said:

Not when you're a horror movie that opened to over $70 million. 'Us' was Jordan Peele's highly anticipated follow up to his leggy hit 'Get Out', and it netted a lot of comparisons.

We don't really have a lot of films that fall in this category, given only 5 horror movies have ever opened to over $70M:

1. It (2017) — 123.4 million 
  2. It: Chapter 2 (2019) — 91.1 million 
  3. I Am Legend (2007) — 77.2 million
  4. Halloween (2018) — 76.2 million
  5. Us (2019) — 71.1 million 

All of the films above are in 2.X multiplier range, with the exception of I Am Legend that opened in December and benefited from the December holiday period. The reception of 'Us' may have been mixed, but its box office performance, with a 70M+ opening and 2.5 multiplier, while not amazing, is not bad, IMO.

Peace,

Mike

Just remember that there was craziness when it became obvious that it wasnt going to play like Get Out (should have been obvious from the OW total but what do I know.) The miffing by some on this board when its wom gave it only decent legs for a horror film at that size should tell you why there is argument now all of the sudden. Many predicted 200m based on the opening. 

• Like 1