sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Frozen 2 continues to do great and is Disney's biggest success story of the Winter. We will get a 3rd film eventually. 

A potential Frozen 3 would be interesting. Most of the little girls that loved the first one so much would likely be teenagers (some even college age) by the time the third one came out and the 4-10 year olds when Frozen 3 arrives will have some other product that they are obsessed with by that time. 

41 minutes ago, Giesi said:

I‘m happy for Rian, he really deserved all the success. I‘m super excited for his decade in filming/directing. 

He never should have gone for the SW gig. I get it, the temptation is big, especially for a young filmmaker, without a huge filmography, but he just wasn't the right fit for the trilogy flicks.

I quite enjoyed KO, so hope to see more from him. Hell, I'd even love a sequel - make Daniel Craig the central figure of a Hercule Poirot-like franchise, to rival Kenneth Brannagh. :D 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Knives Out is becoming my favourite run of the year.

Not sure if I’m “allowed” to say this, but I’m happy for Rian after TLJ (still hated that movie and I think it’s the main reason Star Wars is where it’s at now). But I always said to people when discussing Star Wars that Last Jedi is a good movie, it’s just a bad Star Wars movie. So Johnson is really damn good at making movies, I just want to see him do more originals like this. 

150M+ for KO though is stellar, and hopefully that tells studios SPEND THE EXTRA CASH TO MAKE QUALITY MOVIES. REVISE YOUR SHITTY SCRIPTS ONE MORE TIME BEFORE PRODUCING THEM! Original content can still make money, just make it GOOD!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JUM

42.4 os weekend 374 cume

26.5 dom weekend 236.2 cume

= 66.9 ww weekend 610.2 cume

70-80 more dom (306-316) + 95 more os (469) = 775-785 ww

750 is locked, 800 alive but feel it will fall short.

Edited by a2k
Calculation Error
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Knives Out is becoming my favourite run of the year.

Not sure if I’m “allowed” to say this, but I’m happy for Rian after TLJ (still hated that movie and I think it’s the main reason Star Wars is where it’s at now). But I always said to people when discussing Star Wars that Last Jedi is a good movie, it’s just a bad Star Wars movie. So Johnson is really damn good at making movies, I just want to see him do more originals like this. 

150M+ for KO though is stellar, and hopefully that tells studios SPEND THE EXTRA CASH TO MAKE QUALITY MOVIES. REVISE YOUR SHITTY SCRIPTS ONE MORE TIME BEFORE PRODUCING THEM! Original content can still make money, just make it GOOD!

RJ would be a good person to make a non Skywalker themed Star Wars movie. A lot of people's discourse for TLJ revolves around his choices for a particular character that some were probably a little overly attached to. 

People will be on board for a RJ Star Wars movie full of brand new characters in my opinion. The success Knives Out has had at the box office kind of proves that the hate for RJ was a little overblown.

49 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

that's about 270M down from TLJ. Down is down so I'll take it. Embarrassing finish for the "culmination of 9 movies". 

Crossing the billion mark will take some of the sting away.  We knew it was locked when the overseas numbers came in during the second weekend.  If this had failed to reach a billion it would have been even more embarrassing.  

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not sure if I’m “allowed” to say this, but I’m happy for Rian after TLJ (still hated that movie and I think it’s the main reason Star Wars is where it’s at now).

I agree with that.

I mean, I disagree that TLJ is a good movie, forget a SW movie, but I enjoyed both Looper and Knives Out, so if he can continue delivering great movies, good for him.

• Like 2

I'm very happy to see this weekend outperform the same weekend last year. 

A nice way to start of the new year. 

What's ever more encouraging is that this January looks to be much stronger than last January, with the key being expanding films and good drops for Oscar films, not necessarily just depending on new openers.

Next weekend will be fun to watch, especially factoring in possible Golden Globe boosts. 

We have 1917 expanding and possibly grossing 25-30m opening weekend. 

We have Just Mercy expanding with great reviews and WOM, and should open to 10-12m.

Like a Boss and Underwater will flop though, probably 8m and 5m openers. 

However, that leaves much room for some awesome holds in the rest of the top 10;

Parasite is a lock for Best Foreign Film at the Golden Globes this evening.  They would be smart to expand it more this weekend, especially with the Oscar nominations next week. 

Knives Out is nominated for 3 awards. While it's not likely to win any of them, the exposure itself for the viewing audience will help a little, and it's already having wicked drops. We could see a sub 30% decline next weekend, especially if it can hold onto most of it's theatres. 

Little Women should continue to ride it's wave of buzz and have some steady holds. 
Frozen II should continue to hold well, and might even win a GG tonight with best song. 

Bombshell will have a lot of exposure tonight at the GG as well. If they are smart, they will add 200-300 theatres this upcoming weekend before the Oscar noms are announced, which should help steady it's drops somewhat. 

Uncut Gems is riding the Oscar buzz still and still had some room to expand. While it won't get any exposure tonight from the GG, it's still got a lot of Oscar buzz going for it. 

Finally, Jojo Rabbit increased 42% this weekend while only adding 1 theatre. It is nominated for many Golden Globes tonight. They need to increase the theatre count a few hundred this upcoming weekend going into Oscar noms. It should hold well.

That then sets us up for what could be an epic MLK weekend with Bad Boys possibly grossing 40m over the 4 day, Do Little grossing 25m over the 4 day and many, many films holding very well. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Crossing the billion mark will take some of the sting away.  We knew it was locked when the overseas numbers came in during the second weekend.  If this had failed to reach a billion it would have been even more embarrassing.  

Hitting a billion is perfectly fine given what the movie was like. If it was a really good movie than merely hitting a billion would be a big disappointment. But given that it wasn't a good movie it just passing the billion barrier is all that should be expected.

3 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

RJ would be a good person to make a non Skywalker themed Star Wars movie. A lot of people's discourse for TLJ revolves around his choices for a particular character that some were probably a little overly attached to. 

People will be on board for a RJ Star Wars movie full of brand new characters in my opinion. The success Knives Out has had at the box office kind of proves that the hate for RJ was a little overblown.

The hate for him is ridiculous. Any time movie fans or geeks or whatever target the specific people who made the movie they didn't like rather than simply targeting their creative choices on said movie is going too far. Yea, I think Johnson made a mess of the Sequel Trilogy (not saying it wouldn't have been a mess anyways, I don't know that, but as it stands I was not a fan). But he's a damn good writer and filmmaker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

The success Knives Out has had at the box office kind of proves that the hate for RJ was a little overblown.

You're also attributing too much of the KO success to him. People didn't go to see KO because or RJ, they did it because of the premise and cast, and then the WOM.

RJ as attached to SW legacy is probably too tainted a name now, with core fans still too bitter. I would be shocked if they actually went ahead with his trilogy. TLJ was a cluster fuck of a movie all around, far beyond any particular character choices.

I don't think huge budget productions are his thing - maybe if they're written by someone else?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 3

3 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Hitting a billion is perfectly fine given what the movie was like. If it was a really good movie than merely hitting a billion would be a big disappointment. But given that it wasn't a good movie it just passing the billion barrier is all that should be expected.

nah, considering it was marketed as basically the Endgame/ROTK of the Star Wars movie just passing a billion is very disappointing. Also the next movie won't be able to use that crutch so that's why now Lucasfilm is in some trouble

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'm very happy to see this weekend outperform the same weekend last year. 

A nice way to start of the new year. 

What a difference a big movie like Jumanji makes compared to Mary Poppins Returns...