sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - The Grudge $1.8M w/ an F Cinemascore LMAO

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

US did quite well really... 

It was just overhyped as the 2nd coming of Christ for people who like to act as being to cool for blockbuster films which happens quite often with that user group. 

Us is better than the vast majority of blockbusters in 2019.

• Like 3

Finally got around to seeing Bombshell today. Great film with another outstanding performance by Theron. It's amazing how she is great in every single role she portrays. Kidman, Robbie and Lithgow were also great but Theron is simply in a league of her own.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Terminator-Dark-Fate-(2019)

Looks like Terminator Dark Fate has finished its run with 250m

ww

PRODUCER JAMES CAMERON RETURNS

FROM TIM MILLER THE DIRECTOR OF DEADPOOL

REAL SEQUEL TO T2

LINDA FUCKING HAMILTON

FRESH SCORE ON ROTTEN TOMATOES

Amounted to similar numbers as Dark Phoenix worldwide. Hilarious. Absolutely fucking HILARIOUS.

Spoiler

I am still gonna buy it on Bluray tho.

Spoiler

And yes, I own the shit out of Dark Phoenix on 4K UHD steelbook edition.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 9

22 minutes ago, narniadis said:

They literally are both refusing to look at actual data and also need to try and not write something negative  😂😂 37m is just too high, hell 33m would be high given an 11m Friday. 

I don't think 33 is too high. Would only need about a 25% Sat bump and 40% Sun drop which is doable.

That third weekend take is lower than the low $40M range that was expected. Again, part of Skywalker falling behind Last Jedi has a lot to do with Christmas and New Year’s Day falling later in the latter’s run, which boosted grosses greatly.

Huh funny they didn't mention that last week when comparing TROS to TLJ

:redcapes:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 16

35 minutes ago, narniadis said:

They literally are both refusing to look at actual data and also need to try and not write something negative  😂😂 37m is just too high, hell 33m would be high given an 11m Friday. 

Agreed. I kind of expect that Friday number to be closer to 12 though given how the early estimates have been a little low all week though. 

But, yeah, with 11, hard to imagine 37... Or, even 34.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Not when you're a horror movie that opened to over $70 million. 'Us' was Jordan Peele's highly anticipated follow up to his leggy hit 'Get Out', and it netted a lot of comparisons.

We don't really have a lot of films that fall in this category, given only 5 horror movies have ever opened to over $70M:

1. It (2017) — 123.4 million 
  2. It: Chapter 2 (2019) — 91.1 million 
  3. I Am Legend (2007) — 77.2 million
  4. Halloween (2018) — 76.2 million
  5. Us (2019) — 71.1 million 

All of the films above are in 2.X multiplier range, with the exception of I Am Legend that opened in December and benefited from the December holiday period. The reception of 'Us' may have been mixed, but its box office performance, with a 70M+ opening and 2.5 multiplier, while not amazing, is not bad, IMO.

Peace,

Mike

IT Chapter 1, opened $50m higher, and was released in the worst month for legs and it got a better multiple. Opening huge isn't an excuse for bad multiples, A Quiet Place broke the record for biggest OW for an Original Horror movie and delivered an 3.5x in April, facing stronger competition than US had. 

14 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

IT Chapter 1, opened $50m higher, and was released in the worst month for legs and it got a better multiple. Opening huge isn't an excuse for bad multiples, A Quiet Place broke the record for biggest OW for an Original Horror movie and delivered an 3.5x in April, facing stronger competition than US had. 

Like I said, I am not questioning that the reception of 'Us' was mixed. I am questioning your assertion that Us's box office performance is bad, and that it can be treated purely as your usual original horror film, given it was a highly anticipated follow-up to the director's previous horror film that became a cultural phenomenon. A large opening of $70M is relevant context in this situation, and your argument is too simplistic, IMO.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't think 33 is too high. Would only need about a 25% Sat bump and 40% Sun drop which is doable.

Doable, but on the high end IMO of course. Would love to see it break molds the other way and have weirdly high increases just to further confound our abilities  😂

27 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

That third weekend take is lower than the low $40M range that was expected. Again, part of Skywalker falling behind Last Jedi has a lot to do with Christmas and New Year’s Day falling later in the latter’s run, which boosted grosses greatly.

Huh funny they didn't mention that last week when comparing TROS to TLJ

:redcapes:

Deadline's try-hard attempts to give TROS run a positive spin are comedy gold for weeks. Keep it up! :bravo:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

true but find most people found it quite overhyped in terms of quality. 

Nah I’m seeing it on lots of year end lists.

IMDb (not a great indication), it’s at 7 with 170,000 ratings. Horrors usually settle around the early 6’s. 

Second sweeping statement about the film, wrong again. 

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

US was an highly acclaimed original (and mainstream) Horror movie, these kind of movies usually can pull an 3.0x easily, it got a bad multiple because it had mixed reception with audiences.

LOL at the Halloween, PA and Saw comparisions. TCU usually gets good legs when the movie gets good reviews, TC2 being an exception because it had huge competition.

IT2, Annabelle 3, PS were all disappointments, despite doing good numbers. Crawl and EC did ok,  but weren't break outs, Scary Stories was only USA.

When I talk about a break out, I'm talking about The Nun, Get Out, Split, these movies did DOM more than most of Horror movies grossed WW in 2019. 

A few things. First, I mentioned those movies to point out that, in general, horror films do not have great legs, especially when there is a rush factor to consider. Legs aren't so simple as good WOM = long legs, especially when it comes to hyped films with large openings. Us was like a hyped up horror sequel, and granted that rush factor, its legs were just fine. You can't compare a movie like Us to a movie like Get Out, the legs of which can be largely attributed to people "discovering the film". Given the profile of Us, many more of its potential audience came out on opening weekend, unlike with Get Out.  You have to consider the monster opening that it had, not just look at the multiplier. You can't compare a movie with a 70m OW to a smaller prestige horror flicks with a low openings and long legs. As a side note, Us had a pretty mild 2nd weekend drop, its just when competition starting heating up even more that its legs started to waver

I cited movies like It2 and Annabelle 3 to illustrate that 2019 was a pretty good year for horror. You're right, only Us was a true break out, but a number of pics did fine business. Disappointments relative to expectations aside, It2 and Annabelle3 were still solid, and the other pics I mentioned, though they didn't do the 250m+ WW of the three films you selected, generally out performed expectations (excluding PS). The Nun did a lot of business, sure, but it came from a highly successful franchise. A number of non-franchise, under the radar films ended up with strong, profitable runs. 2019 was certainly not a wash

Edited by Justin4125
  • Like 1

In what universe is a $175,000,000 domestic gross and being the 12th highest grossing picture of the year bad? There is a bunch of really great insight and analysis on here, but there is also just some straight up dumb shit. Wasn’t there also a sentiment on here that The Lion king box office is bad, too? I am assuming that it is coming from teenagers, but can the simpleness not be brought into the new year? And horror performed well at the box office in 2019. What is even the argument against that? 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1