lilmac

Most overrated films of 2019

What "overrated" is supposed to mean??

If you think the film isn't as great as other claim, that is your objective opinion. Your personal evaluation shouldn't be the benchmark of how all people should see in a film.

I don't like Once upon a time in Hollywood and Marriage Story. instead of calling them an overrated film, I will rather acknowledge that I have a different opinion from the rest. 

Calling a film overrated or underrated is a very egoistic and self-center gesture because you see your personal thought as the "real value" of a film with prophet-like judgement    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

If you think the film isn't as great as other claim, that is your objective opinion. Your personal evaluation shouldn't be the benchmark of how all people should see in a film.

I imagine you mean subjective here.

In sport it tend to be way clearer what people mean by overrated, usually that an athlete is perceived (either by the teams, journalist, fans or a mix) to be better at helping a team win because of a spectacular style of play or proficiency in tracked and overrated stats than in reality (think a baseball player in the 90s with big base stealing, batting average or a closer with a lot of protecting win versus better player but good in less popular and understood stats).

In movies that exactly that yes, you subjectively claim that the film isn't as great as other claims and unlike seeing Alien and not liking it as much as other, in your claim it is not a taste thing, you think you have some arguments about why that would be the case.

People that find it great have not seen the much better version of it that already exist, felt great watching the movie for the some reason the cover of a song we like sound greater than it is (they loved the movie because of element outside of it that were simply use without much merit) .

Someone that really believe being right about it, is indeed having a really strange and high opinion of themselve, but it is for most I would imagine shitposting.

I would also go with John Wick here I think

Easily 1917

That film is so uninteresting, part boring, the one shot is nonsense and all the awards it's getting is baffling. Visual Effects...get outta here. 

Dunkirk was more interesting and I thought that was a fail too but that's how weak this 1917 is which somehow reduces WWI to a few solo encounters and even that charge at the end is there and gone in a minute. I just can't.

(Three choices I'd say were somewhat vaguely objective, in that I'd sincerely argue these were bad films, though fair play if you enjoyed them)

Always Be My Maybe was a film that everyone who has seen it seems to rave about that I honestly thought was appalling.

It: Chapter 2 and Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark were to me really, really bad films on reasonably objective levels (It repeated the same scene beat-for-beat 6 times in a row and SSTTITD had absolutely no idea who it was for) that seem to have gotten away with fairly middle of the road to positive reactions. 

(Two pure subjective choices, in that I just would say they didn't do anything for me)

The Irishman had no in for me emotionally. Just nothing to make me care. Stakes for me ended up non-existent for that reason. Completely bland experience.

While the performances were very good, I just don't have enough interest in watching contemporary pure kitchen-sink naturalism to get anything out of Marriage Story. And I found the score to be outright off-putting. 

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

Us

Avengers Endgame

The concept of "overrated movie" makes perfectly sense, at least as long as someone tries to recognize a film's positive and negative aspects while keeping their personal attitude aside as much as possible. For example, I thought that Widows was overall a good product, despite the fact I got bored the whole time and I'll never see it again. Or again, Terminator DF is one of my favourite films of 2019 but I have no problem admitting that anyone who puts it into the yearly top ten is just wrong if they're trying to do a "best" list. Of course being really "objective" is just utopistic, but one has to try.

So, if a banal, unsteady and occasionally goofy or ridiculous horror movie that never manages to be scary gets a lot of praise just because of the trite social content it metaphorically shows to the audience, I say that movie is overrated. Same for a derivative, uninspired, linear movie with a lazy script and lot of plot holes which, though, is filled with fan service.  These are the main options that come to my mind.

The ones that come to mind for me are Ad Astra, Climax, and Joker. All hit that C+/B- range for me. The first two I was really looking forward but ended up being extreme disappointments for me. Joker, to me, was incredibly overhyped and at this point, I'm just over the discourse about it. 

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

The ones that come to mind for me are Ad Astra, Climax, and Joker. All hit that C+/B- range for me. The first two I was really looking forward but ended up being extreme disappointments for me. Joker, to me, was incredibly overhyped and at this point, I'm just over the discourse about it. 

does anyone actually like Climax or Joker?

My personal "overrated film" is Jojo Rabbit. It's a beautiful film, and I want Hollywood to make more films like it, but it didn't really mesh with me. I'm happy to see that it's as beloved as it is, but it just wasn't my jam. And that sucks, because it would've been my jam if I were a few years younger. But as of now, it's simply not my jam. Sorry, Welch's.

• Like 1

The Farewell. within the confines of the story it's done well, but the story itself doesn't go anywhere. The film just ends up having the same debate over and over with the same conversations just changing one of the people. It got stale quickly for me.

• Like 2