Eric Duncan

GOLDEN GLOBES 2020 DISCUSSION THREAD | 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood win

*originally posted in wrong thread*

Well that was a chore to watch through. 

Ricky's opening was A material and then he was disappeared for the other 2 hrs and 50 minutes essentially. Quite unreal despite so many moments he could have pounced on with a biting joke yet not allowed. 

1917 winning was pretty awful. I don't care that it was supposedly a one take shot. Big whoop, that doesn't make the film good, great or better than the films it beat out. I watched that in December and it was a let down for me. Dunkirk level bore. 

Would have really liked JLo to win. That would have been interesting especially after learning Dern already has 5 damn Globes already. 

Happy for Awkwafina. 

Fine with Egerton but would have preferred RGD or Eddie. 

Glad Joker won score and that Phoenix won. His speech however was a joke. 

15 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

NBC could not move on from Gervais fast enough! 

They would probably rather Ricky Gervais than these 2, what he done got everyone talking about their reward show. More people know about his monologue than the winners on the night, they'd happily have him back

3 hours ago, Ninenin said:

They would probably rather Ricky Gervais than these 2, what he done got everyone talking about their reward show. More people know about his monologue than the winners on the night, they'd happily have him back

I mean, the ratings for this year’s Golden Globes were lower than last year’s, so I’m not too sure about that.

Anyway, I think Ricky Gervais’ monologue was overrated. There’s nothing bold or new about making fun of Hollywood elites or making Jeffrey Epstein jokes. People have been doing that stuff forever, at least on the Internet. It’s telling that a good chunk of the people praising Gervais have been far right people who hate everyone in Hollywood who isn’t a conservative like Tim Allen (who Gervais apologized to, for some reason) or Clint Eastwood

56 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I mean, the ratings for this year’s Golden Globes were lower than last year’s, so I’m not too sure about that.

Anyway, I think Ricky Gervais’ monologue was overrated. There’s nothing bold or new about making fun of Hollywood elites or making Jeffrey Epstein jokes. People have been doing that stuff forever, at least on the Internet. It’s telling that a good chunk of the people praising Gervais have been far right people who hate everyone in Hollywood who isn’t a conservative like Tim Allen (who Gervais apologized to, for some reason) or Clint Eastwood

Why would his monologue increase their views when it didn't go viral until the following day? Silly take there. 

Ricky just said what many people want to say to these celebs. They are hypocrites who act woke yet have limited understanding of the politics they preach or the struggles of everyday people. Its not been just the far right praising his speech, it's been everyone, their political stance has nothing to do with it. The same people who gave birth to the Metoo campaign are the same people who turned a blind eye when it was benefitting their careers, we don't want their political opinions, they are there to entertain, not educate. I guess what ricky did was nothing new but calling them out on such a huge platform was quite unique and had the world in agreement with him

2 hours ago, Ninenin said:

Why would his monologue increase their views when it didn't go viral until the following day? Silly take there. 

Ricky just said what many people want to say to these celebs. They are hypocrites who act woke yet have limited understanding of the politics they preach or the struggles of everyday people. Its not been just the far right praising his speech, it's been everyone, their political stance has nothing to do with it. The same people who gave birth to the Metoo campaign are the same people who turned a blind eye when it was benefitting their careers, we don't want their political opinions, they are there to entertain, not educate. I guess what ricky did was nothing new but calling them out on such a huge platform was quite unique and had the world in agreement with him

People know who Ricky Gervais is. He didn’t just suddenly pop up out of nowhere during the Golden Globes. He’s been attacking political correctness for a while now.

Also, Gervais has traditionally been one of those celebrities who preached about politics. The man wrote an OP-ED where he bragged about being an atheist, and has taken part in various humanitarian causes, in addition to trying to bully people into voting for the Labour Party. He’s in no position to lecture other people about how no one cares what they think. Also, Hollywood celebrities were not the ones who gave birth to the MeToo movement. That was started by people like Tarana Burke. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

People know who Ricky Gervais is. He didn’t just suddenly pop up out of nowhere during the Golden Globes. He’s been attacking political correctness for a while now.

Also, Gervais has traditionally been one of those celebrities who preached about politics. The man wrote an OP-ED where he bragged about being an atheist, and has taken part in various humanitarian causes, in addition to trying to bully people into voting for the Labour Party. He’s in no position to lecture other people about how no one cares what they think. Also, Hollywood celebrities were not the ones who gave birth to the MeToo movement. That was started by people like Tarana Burke. 

He didn't try bullying anyone to vote labour, his one tweet i remember considering the labour Party literally started with 'now im not telling people who they should vote for" which really isn't the approach most celebs take when preaching. Nothing wrong about someone bragging to be an atheist, you mention it like it's a bad think yet he's made a lot of hilarious and genius content based around religion. People have the right to believe in what they want just as people have the right to find them beliefs absolutely ridiculous.

Ricky is the Dark Knight of comedians, he says and does what needs to be done without a care in the world of how that makes him look. He's the comedian we deserve who speaks the truth in an industry of fake bullshit though he's probably too controversial for Americans and a lot of his humour probably goes over their heads

Edited by Ninenin

6 hours ago, Ninenin said:

He didn't try bullying anyone to vote labour, his one tweet i remember considering the labour Party literally started with 'now im not telling people who they should vote for" which really isn't the approach most celebs take when preaching. Nothing wrong about someone bragging to be an atheist, you mention it like it's a bad think yet he's made a lot of hilarious and genius content based around religion. People have the right to believe in what they want just as people have the right to find them beliefs absolutely ridiculous.

Ricky is the Dark Knight of comedians, he says and does what needs to be done without a care in the world of how that makes him look. He's the comedian we deserve who speaks the truth in an industry of fake bullshit though he's probably too controversial for Americans and a lot of his humour probably goes over their heads

Starting his tweet with “Now I’m not telling people who to vote for” doesn’t change the fact that he was literally asking people to vote for the Labour Party. Why do you think he made that damn tweet in the first place? He wanted people to vote for the Labour Party. He encouraged people  to vote out Theresa May. Just because someone claims they’re not doing something, doesn’t mean they aren’t doing it. 

Also, I never said people don’t have a right to believe what they want. I myself am an atheist, but Gervais used to constantly brag about his atheist beliefs, which I find pretty pretentious. It’s just like that episode of Family Guy that made a big deal over how smart Brian was for being an atheist. Of course, if Gervais’ “it’s what Jesus would do” defense for having a bunch of far right fans is any indication, he’s probably moving past that stage in his life.

Also, if Gervais says things without a care in the world, then why did he apologize for having made fun Tim Allen eight years ago? If comedy is supposed to be indiscriminate, then why did he go out of his way to apologize for lightly poking fun at Tim Allen a long time ago? Could it have something to do with the fact that Tim Allen is a conservative, and Gervais didn’t want to be perceived as an enemy to the right?

59 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Starting his tweet with “Now I’m not telling people who to vote for” doesn’t change the fact that he was literally asking people to vote for the Labour Party. Why do you think he made that damn tweet in the first place? He wanted people to vote for the Labour Party. He encouraged people  to vote out Theresa May. Just because someone claims they’re not doing something, doesn’t mean they aren’t doing it. 

Also, I never said people don’t have a right to believe what they want. I myself am an atheist, but Gervais used to constantly brag about his atheist beliefs, which I find pretty pretentious. It’s just like that episode of Family Guy that made a big deal over how smart Brian was for being an atheist. Of course, if Gervais’ “it’s what Jesus would do” defense for having a bunch of far right fans is any indication, he’s probably moving past that stage in his life.

Also, if Gervais says things without a care in the world, then why did he apologize for having made fun Tim Allen eight years ago? If comedy is supposed to be indiscriminate, then why did he go out of his way to apologize for lightly poking fun at Tim Allen a long time ago? Could it have something to do with the fact that Tim Allen is a conservative, and Gervais didn’t want to be perceived as an enemy to the right?

You really are over thinking the Tim Allen apology. It was one of the few jokes that could have been aimed at anyone presenting along side tom hanks. He apologised because he took it to heart and pretended not to understand it, his political views had nothing to do with it. Its as if he felt sorry for him. Im pretty sure Mel gibson is far right and i dont remember him getting an apology.

Theres also a huge difference in tweeting out to your followers and using an entertainment award ceremony built for patting each other on the back as a platform to preach. If you can't see that then i don't know what to say. His monologue was clearly his way of mimicing the public's opinion that we don't want to be preached to by actors, it's why these shows have been getting less and less views, ththere is a time and place for it.

Edited by Ninenin

The issue is that RIcky's monologue got way more attention then anything else from the Golden Globes anyways.

The only way these award shows break out into the mainstream psyche it seems if someone does something crazy (wrong award oscar Moonlight) or if someone says something crazy. 

So unless the new hosts do something crazy or interesting they will be rather low key which is what I assume the Hollywood elites want to protect their fragile egos. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

18 minutes ago, Ninenin said:

You really are over thinking the Tim Allen apology. It was one of the few jokes that could have been aimed at anyone presenting along side tom hanks. He apologised because he took it to heart and pretended not to understand it, his political views had nothing to do with it. Its as if he felt sorry for him. Im pretty sure Mel gibson is far right and i dont remember him getting an apology.

Theres also a huge difference in tweeting out to your followers and using an entertainment award ceremony built for patting each other on the back as a platform to preach. If you can't see that then i don't know what to say. His monologue was clearly his way of mimicing the public's opinion that we don't want to be preached to by actors, it's why these shows have been getting less and less views, ththere is a time and place for it.

Why would he apologize to Mel Gibson? No one likes Mel Gibson. Apologizing to a guy who hates Jewish people and beat his girlfriend would be a terrible idea. Also, who took the joke to heart? Tim Allen? I’m pretty sure Allen has stated that he didn’t mind being made fun of. There was no need to apologize, because Allen wasn’t even upset in the first place. Again, I’m pretty sure the only reason Gervais did that is because he didn’t want QAnon to spread some nasty rumors about him. 

Also, Gervais has done more than just tweet to his followers. He’s been a massive public supporter of various humanitarian causes. The man has been super political in the past. What difference does it make if someone is being political at an awards ceremony? It’s okay to be political, as long as you’re not doing it when you’re receiving an award? Why? What if the movie a person is receiving an award for happens to be political in nature?