a2k

Daily Numbers | Monday Jan 6

2 minutes ago, ElsaRoc said:

First sub 1m day?

I think we were tracking that for 1's run, because it was an interesting comparison to Finding Nemo, maybe? 

Yep, 45 days. 2 days less than a lot of Thanksgiving Disney animation, which get 47 due to opening on Wednesday and falling below on the first non-break Monday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Yep, 45 days. 2 days less than a lot of Thanksgiving Disney animation, which get 47 due to opening on Wednesday and falling below on the first non-break Monday.

It should actually be more than based on that since it opened 5 days earlier than a Wednesday of Thanksgiving week film. 

The difference this year is that Thanksgiving actually fell the latest it can on the calendar giving it 1 less weekend / week of holiday play. 

So correct in the 2 short days, but for a totally random other reason. 

32 minutes ago, narniadis said:

It should actually be more than based on that since it opened 5 days earlier than a Wednesday of Thanksgiving week film. 

The difference this year is that Thanksgiving actually fell the latest it can on the calendar giving it 1 less weekend / week of holiday play. 

So correct in the 2 short days, but for a totally random other reason. 

Yeah, the late Thanksgiving and the week before Thanksgiving release cancel out. Doesn’t really affect my point that the 2 day lead for other movies is from opening Wed instead of Fri.

1 hour ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Yeah, the late Thanksgiving and the week before Thanksgiving release cancel out. Doesn’t really affect my point that the 2 day lead for other movies is from opening Wed instead of Fri.

But at the same time it does? Films dont open on Wednesday the full week before Thanksgiving, at least wide ones. Being 2 days short has to do with the calendar this year. Another year would have it with a 5 day lead (at best). If it had opened like you would be proposing, the drop rate would be a further 5 days behind for 7 days total. 

All one needs to do is adjust the release date to coordinate with Ralph from last year to see the difference become larger. 

Not that it means anything in the end. 

39 minutes ago, narniadis said:

But at the same time it does? Films dont open on Wednesday the full week before Thanksgiving, at least wide ones. Being 2 days short has to do with the calendar this year. Another year would have it with a 5 day lead (at best). If it had opened like you would be proposing, the drop rate would be a further 5 days behind for 7 days total. 

All one needs to do is adjust the release date to coordinate with Ralph from last year to see the difference become larger. 

Not that it means anything in the end. 

I feel like we might be talking past each other  a bit here, so I’ll try to rephrase one more time to be clear as possible:   

Because of opening a week before Thanksgiving, on a calendar where Thanksgiving is so late, those two effectively cancel out (+1, -1). It opened at the same point relative to winter break as a movie opening on Thanksgiving Friday would, effectively 2 days after a normal Thanksgiving opener. That’s why it has two days fewer despite dropping below 1M at the same point.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ZackM said:

I don't know exactly how my numbers will translate on Tuesdays, but my best guess for today is about 4.3M for Star Wars.

I agree. You can only do weekly comps for discount tuesdays and this is the 1st one for SW9. At MTC1 SW1 is up 92% in ticket sales but dont know what that will translate to gross. May be 3rd of that would mean around 3.9m tuesday but hard to be accurate here. 

• Like 2