Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Some initial audience reception metrics:

RT 86%

MC 8.3 (just 28 ratings so far)

imdb 8.3 (ep1 8.3, ep2 8.6)

letterboxd 4.3   

Common theme among negative reviews is, as expected, that the first episodes are boring/no action/nothing happens. But overall a solid reception.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Wondy said:

but where those used in episode two?

ahh, that was what you meant with your post, I did ignore the music in the series (same reason, not my cup of tea), thought it was your mood after watching it that led (let?) to your post 🤣

(edit: and as Slam! does for the moment the music thing my mind is for the legacy part a bit circling around that theme)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

RT 86%

letterboxd 4.3   

Common theme among negative reviews is, as expected, that the first episodes are boring/no action/nothing happens. But overall a solid reception.

at rt I read the review of someone of the not-liking group, who seems to believe the positives have to be bought ones and as such gave 0.5 to counter the ‘bought’ ones. 
Hate those, I think everybody should give what they think how it is a it is (and not go in with expectations and give bad ratings if the expectations were not fulfilled)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

RT 86%

letterboxd 4.3   

I think it will settle in the mid 7s on imdb to start, but rise as we get farther into the plot. Some backlash was inevitable, so that's decent enough. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

100 critics at rt:

now at 97%, but rating of critics fell to 7.55/10 (?), means the top critics rating is now higher than the rating of all of them, top critics (33) are at 7.95/10

still at 6 rotten, 4 of those per top critics

Seems per those numbers like there were a bunch of reviews who gave ~ positive but low ratings still

Me too think it will change till the end of the season / mini-series, whatever it will be

7 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Wondering how would Kevin incorporated this with Doctor Strange 2 if there was no Disney Plus. or was DS2 planned in the way after knowing D+ will be there.

DS2 was originally going to be a regular sequel with Doctor Strange characters like Mordo and Clea. I don't think WandaVision was originally conceived as kicking off a multiverse saga either. All of this is a result of Into the Spider-Verse's success + WB/DC making their premature announcement of The Flash being a multiverse film.

Both were pretty solid episodes, though it does feel like it should be...funnier? I feel like most of the jokes would have worked better with sitcom/comedian style acting and mugging, and it doesn’t really feel like either of the leads really pulled that off well enough.

I am liking Kathryn Hahn quite a bit in this though

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

DS2 was originally going to be a regular sequel with Doctor Strange characters like Mordo and Clea. I don't think WandaVision was originally conceived as kicking off a multiverse saga either. All of this is a result of Into the Spider-Verse's success + WB/DC making their premature announcement of The Flash being a multiverse film.

Is this actually true cause I remember Feige announced back in 2019 after Endgame broke the WW record that Wandavision was tying into DS2 and I’m pretty sure that was before all the announcements about The Flash.

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Is this actually true cause I remember Feige announced back in 2019 after Endgame broke the WW record that Wandavision was tying into DS2 and I’m pretty sure that was before all the announcements about The Flash.

not sure but thought the same - like in the back of my mind

3 hours ago, Eric Gardner said:

Both were pretty solid episodes, though it does feel like it should be...funnier? I feel like most of the jokes would have worked better with sitcom/comedian style acting and mugging, and it doesn’t really feel like either of the leads really pulled that off well enough.

I am liking Kathryn Hahn quite a bit in this though

Maybe it’s me reading too into it, but the comedy not quite landing seems intentional to me. It’s meant to be slightly off kilter. It adds to that sense of unease with everything being “not quite right”.

• Like 7

I loved these 2 episodes, personally. I grew up on Nick at Nite and TVLand, so this style/type of show is something I'm used to. All the little hints, and mystery behind the sitcom scenes really leaves you wondering. 

It's perfect for what it is. If you wanted/expected something else then that's on you. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

It's perfect for what it is. If you wanted/expected something else then that's on you. 

The idea that there’s people out there coming into this expecting a typical action packed Marvel blockbuster and instead getting a black and white 50’s sitcom will never not be endlessly amusing to me 🤣

Edited by SnokesLegs

9 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

RT 86%

letterboxd 4.3   

RT 86%

MC 7.8

IMDb 7.9 (8.0, 8.4)
LB 4.2   

Also it got a big burst of reviews today up to 126, I think it will actually dethrone Stranger Things as the most reviewed season of a TV series. So far critics and letterboxd appear to like it more than the GA (where it’s liked fine but there is a real undercurrent of “not enough action”), but I expect this to reverse by the last 2 episodes of the season or so.   

• Like 3