Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

6 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Even social media chatter is down a bit. Guess it peaked with last 2 episodes.

This is factually wrong, a quick check of Google Trends shows that WandaVision is significantly higher than at the same hours last week. Don't have precise numbers for Twitter but it definitely looks to be getting a lot more buzz.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Menor said:

Eh, while it's not "OMG amazing" reception, I would say WandaVision reception was overall pretty good. Hard to quantify but maybe in about the Guardians 2/Doctor Strange range of reception if we compare to the films. Some backlash for sure but there are also plenty who rank it as one of the best. 

I agree. I would consider that high end mixed. Apologies for any confusion.

1 hour ago, Menor said:

This is factually wrong, a quick check of Google Trends shows that WandaVision is significantly higher than at the same hours last week. Don't have precise numbers for Twitter but it definitely looks to be getting a lot more buzz.

It's not even trending at number 1. Imdb ratings are low and youtube interactions of many reaction channel is also low.

I love Wandavision and MCU but just being practical.

4 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

It's not even trending at number 1. Imdb ratings are low and youtube interactions of many reaction channel is also low.

The actual rating might be lower than the last episode (will probably end up around what episode 7 had) but the number of ratings seems to be higher than previous episodes at this point in time, actually. And like I said in my previous post, just look https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 7-d&geo=US&q=%2Fg%2F11h4v6h9f5. The trend chart shows pretty clearly that the search interest in WandaVision even at non-peak hours is about 50% higher than it was last week. I can't say for certain bc Google Trends has a weird interface, but I think its quite likely that the initial spike at midnight Pacific was probably even bigger of an increase than that. You can say the finale didn't get the buzz you wanted, whatever, that's subjective. But it's factually wrong to say that it got lower buzz than last week's episode. 

12 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

IDK man, you were getting over-excited just last few weeks when it wasn't really a big deal. and now you are way too depressed when again, it isn't really a big deal. 

Personally to me, I think it was E06 I realised this isn't going to be a "great" show, so I was pretty grounded after that. Now it ended, felt nothing bad, it felt like just filler/set up before next big thing's coming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Spoiler

One thing I forget to mention.

NGL. the point when it felt like Agatha is able to get the powers of Wanda and Wanda is sorta dying, It got me. I felt genuinely sad. Though I had in mind that may be there will be a trick. May be Dr Strange swoops in and saves the day, but after that runes (that tbh was dumb) thing was revealed.

The show lost all its tension and I was like, yeah que the happy ending fast and move on to set up thingy fast.

No, the show failed in creating any emotional connection to me. It felt like it will in first three episodes, but after that naa. Not felt anything for Vision and Kids going back.

Also Also, the sigh of relief I took when they revealed the twins aren't physically real. I was worried about making Wanda so powerful that she can created life with magic. 

BTW When can we discuss without spoiler tags. post weekend?

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jatvision said:

IDK man, you were getting over-excited just last few weeks when it wasn't really a big deal. and now you are way too depressed when again, it isn't really a big deal. 

Personally to me, I think it was E06 I realised this isn't going to be a "great" show, so I was pretty grounded after that. Now it ended, felt nothing bad, it felt like just filler/set up before next big thing's coming.

I think same for me that Episode 6 is where I realized they were going for something more small-scale (though I did still enjoy that). I expect FATWS and Loki to be of about similar quality to WandaVision (for me mid-tier MCU), and probably BW and Shang-Chi will be relatively mid-tier quality solo films as well. I'll probably still enjoy and be entertained by those, but my next hope for really great MCU is Eternals. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

Spoiler
12 minutes ago, jatvision said:
  Hide contents

One thing I forget to mention.

NGL. the point when it felt like Agatha is able to get the powers of Wanda and Wanda is sorta dying, It got me. I felt genuinely sad. Though I had in mind that may be there will be a trick. May be Dr Strange swoops in and saves the day, but after that runes (that tbh was dumb) thing was revealed.

The show lost all its tension and I was like, yeah que the happy ending fast and move on to set up thingy fast.

No, the show failed in creating any emotional connection to me. It felt like it will in first three episodes, but after that naa. Not felt anything for Vision and Kids going back.

Also Also, the sigh of relief I took when they revealed the twins aren't physically real. I was worried about making Wanda so powerful that she can created life with magic. 

In the post credit , it does seem like they might be real though.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think same for me that Episode 6 is where I realized they were going for something more small-scale (though I did still enjoy that). I expect FATWS and Loki to be of about similar quality to WandaVision (for me mid-tier MCU), and probably BW and Shang-Chi will be relatively mid-tier quality solo films as well. I'll probably still enjoy and be entertained by those, but my next hope for really great MCU is Eternals. 

Weirdly enough I thought completely different after episode 6. I didn't have many theories but maybe expectations too high. I enjoyed the show a lot anyway so I am happy in that regard.

Don't have any expectations from Falcon as of now. Maybe they will release a trailer next week with some actual spoiler let's see. 

40 minutes ago, jatvision said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That seems to be the board consensus, yes. Pretty much 72 hours after initial drop on D+ is what I tend to do.

(oblig: not a mod, just a punter's observation [if one that helped shape said consensus], yadda yadda yadda)

Really good and emotional finale that wrapped up everything that I was hoping it would, and I’m really glad that all those scooper stories turned out to be pure BS 😂 And as relatively childish as it was, the real name of a certain character made me laugh, so that’s a win in my book. The people getting in a twist over that part really need to stop taking things so seriously.

• Like 2

There's something that's just not quite right with this show and I can't put my finger on it precisely. The finale just accentuated it.

But it's not necessarily negative. It's like there's something contradictory about this show as it pertains to what it wants to be. The first half wants to be something, the 2nd half wants to be something else and there's an intangible conflict there. 

Spoiler

In a way, it mirrors Wanda's state of mind. Breaking the fifth wall now? :ph34r:

I think my irk might be that they forcefully restrained themselves from going too far? I think that's what bothers me with this show most overall. They're actively dodging having this show have meaningful, lasting consequences on their universe and the meta reason is, well, because it's not an event movie. Simple as that.

Another thing I disliked was how Wanda didn't apologize to anyone in the town for having ruined their lives lately. I mean, I UNDERSTAND the reasons why she did it, I sympathize with her, but that was still a really shitty thing to do for a "hero". 

Regardless, I wasn't a big fan of the finale but the other 8 episodes were GREAT so overall, I enjoyed this show. Strong outing from Marvel. Flawed, but at least it's trying to be something.

I think WANDAVISION's biggest strength though is making Wanda Maximoff one of the most interesting and complex characters in the MCU. And for that, I raise my glass to this show because that's not an easy thing to do and it's what I wanted in the end.

c13629797876df67c9286b2683b42760.gif

• Like 4

I can't get over how poor the emotional payoff was. It felt so flat and unsatisfying. The first 8 episodes for the most part were great, what happened here? This episode felt like it needed a few extra drafts in the writing stage.

• Like 2

What a sour note to end things on. The sitcom stuff was already pretty underwhelming to me, but for this to end with lame MCU tropes one after another just kind of made me feel empty once the final episode was over. I really hope Falcon and the Winter Soldier improves on this.

Starting to feel like a lot of people went into this MCU project expecting it to be... not MCU, for some reason? The lame MCU tropes built a 23B franchise, like em or dislike em they’re probably not going anywhere.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

To be honest I would have felt a bit cheated if we introduced White Vision and Agatha Harkness as antagonists and we didn't get rays and red/purple blasts everywhere. Anyway, while I can understand dislike of certain subplots/balance/pacing, I do struggle to understand the "no emotional payoff" criticism. Wanda has to watch Vision die for the third time, let her kids die as well, and she is once again (with reason) viewed by the world as a villain! I guess maybe people aren't feeling it because White Vision is still around? 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3