Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

Watched the finale. 

A few characters ended up with great arcs. Some were thrown under the bus. 

A very slow, unnecessary 3 or 4 episodes with an (eventually) satisfying ending.

Spoiler

I just hope the MCU isn’t trying to resurrect Vision in some way. That would be an extreme cop out. We know they’re scared of killing off characters, and in fact they’ve actually killed so few. 

Monica was wasted. Quicksilver ended up as... a... boner joke? First three episodes were a chore to sit through. Some iffy VFX in the finale. Darcy and Woo basically disappeared with no resolution. 

Hahn and Olsen MVP’s, unsurprisingly.

overall, 6/10. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Menor said:
  Hide contents

To be honest I would have felt a bit cheated if we introduced White Vision and Agatha Harkness as antagonists and we didn't get rays and red/purple blasts everywhere. Anyway, while I can understand dislike of certain subplots/balance/pacing, I do struggle to understand the "no emotional payoff" criticism. Wanda has to watch Vision die for the third time, let her kids die as well, and she is once again (with reason) viewed by the world as a villain! I guess maybe people aren't feeling it because White Vision is still around? 

Spoiler

That lump in my throat when Vision said “so long, darling” definitely says that there was an emotional payoff for me. Just because White Vision exists shouldn’t mean that saying goodbye to the Vision that we’ve watched for 8 episodes is any less meaningful.

It obviously didn’t work for some people as this thread shows, but to say there was “no emotional payoff” definitely isn’t right.

• Like 5

Well the finale was terribly underwhelming. Yeah I know people are saying there was too much expectation which is right to an extent  regarding all the easter eggs and references but how wanda's arc was resolved was borderline ridiculous.

I personally feel after episode 5 that this was  going somewhere different and better than the generic and rushed finale we got.

14 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:
  Hide contents

That lump in my throat when Vision said “so long, darling” definitely says that there was an emotional payoff for me. Just because White Vision exists shouldn’t mean that saying goodbye to the Vision that we’ve watched for 8 episodes is any less meaningful.

It obviously didn’t work for some people as this thread shows, but to say there was “no emotional payoff” definitely isn’t right.

Spoiler

I also think that the episode clearly shows that White Vision (even with memories) is a very different character than the Vision we know, simply because he just leaves. If he was just Vision V2, he would have stayed to help Wanda. He is clearly not the same, so the loss of Vision was permanent. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, WandaLegion said:

Starting to feel like a lot of people went into this MCU project expecting it to be... not MCU, for some reason? The lame MCU tropes built a 23B franchise, like em or dislike em they’re probably not going anywhere.

Cool. That doesn't mean I can't dislike them or feel they detract from the show.

• Like 2

No spoilers for WandaVision, but here is my ranking of MCU properties now that it's over. My rankings are kind of fluid after the top 3. Some can/have moved up or down slightly depending on how I feel in the moment. For what it's worth, there's no MCU film I dislike or think is "bad" I just think some are meh. 

1. Guardians of the Galaxy 

2. Avengers: Infinity War 

3. Avengers: Endgame 

4. Thor: Ragnarok 

5. Marvel's The Avengers 

6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 

7. WandaVision 

8. Iron Man 

9. Captain America: Civil War 

10. Black Panther 

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron 

12. Doctor Strange 

13. Spider-Man: Homecoming 

14. Thor 

15. Spider-Man: Far From Home 

16. Ant-Man and the Wasp 

17. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 

18. Captain Marvel 

19. Iron Man 3 

20. Ant-Man 

21. Thor: The Dark World 

22. The Incredible Hulk 

23. Captain America: The First Avenger 

24. Iron Man 2

• Like 3

very similar to mine Venom

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

2. Thor: Ragnarok

3. Avengers: Endgame

4. WandaVision

5. Avengers: Infinity War

6. The Avengers

7. Doctor Strange

8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

9. Captain America: Civil War

10. Iron Man

11. Spider-Man: Homecoming

12. Ant-Man

13. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

14. Avengers: Age of Ultron

15. Captain Marvel

16. Black Panther

17. Ant-Man and the Wasp

18. Spider-Man: Far from Home

19. Thor

20. Thor: The Dark World

21. Iron Man 3

22. Iron Man 2

23. Captain America: The First Avenger

24. The Incredible Hulk

• Like 2

Oh yay ranking time

1. Avengers Endgame

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

3. Avengers Infinity War

4. The Avengers

5. Thor Ragnarok

6. Black Panther

7. Guardians of the Galaxy

8. WandaVision (was No 5 but the finale bumps it a bit down)

9. Captain America Civil War

10. Spider-Man: Far From Home

11. Spider-Man: Homecoming.

12. Iron Man 3

13. Iron Man

14. Captain America: The First Avenger

15. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

16. Captain Marvel 

17. Avengers: Age of Ultron

18. Ant-Man

19. Thor

20. Doctor Strange

21. Ant-Man and the Wasp

22. Iron Man 2

23. Thor: The Dark World

24. The Incredible Hulk

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

Great:

Avengers: Endgame
Avengers: Infinity War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Very good:
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Avengers
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: The First Avenger

Good:

Wandavision (tentatively)
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ant-Man
Captain Marvel
Iron Man

Flawed but entertaining:
Iron Man 3
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Doctor Strange

Meh:
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World

Haven't seen the Incredible Hulk

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:
  Hide contents

I also think that the episode clearly shows that White Vision (even with memories) is a very different character than the Vision we know, simply because he just leaves. If he was just Vision V2, he would have stayed to help Wanda. He is clearly not the same, so the loss of Vision was permanent. 

Spoiler

Exactly, plus I read into it that White Vision would probably now be wrestling with his command to “destroy The Vision” now that he effectively IS Vision. It should be interesting to see where that goes further down the line, and also what Wanda will do when she realises that he’s still out there with her Vision’s memories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Cool. That doesn't mean I can't dislike them or feel they detract from the show.

Indeed, not trying to imply otherwise.

Spoiler

Just meant it as something to keep in mind when calibrating expectations for the Loki or Ms Marvel or Hawkeye etc finales. These MCU final acts are still, at their core, MCU final acts. Some of them might buck the trend and have a more unique structure but my baseline expectation is CGI brawl with main character and a main villain who probably has some similarities, maybe a few colored beams here and there.    

I appreciate some variety myself, but I also kind of agree with what Menor said recently — with how ep 8 set up Agatha and White Vision, *not* getting a red and purple glowy witch duel or dueling laser beam robots would have been kind of a letdown.

Saw this on a reddit thread and I think I would agree

Spoiler

So I'm pretty sure the 2nd post-credits scene was directed by Sam Raimi himself. I mean, it happens a while after the story has ended. It takes place in a cabin in the woods, has that weird atmosphere of unease to it and features a typical Raimi Evil Dead shot. Kids yelling for help in a creepy way. Also, Wanda does exactly what Doctor Strange does in his own movie, to the T (which Raimi is directing).

(There's another Raimi shot in the series btw, when the Hex is collapsing toward the house at the end. Probably a homage or... a sign of things to come?)

So basically what I'm saying is, they pulled a scene right out of his movie and used it as a post-credits teaser here is what I think has happened.

• Like 1

Ranking Time. A little note that I am changing the order of ranking 3rd time in last 7 days so it's very fluid.

1. Avengers: Infinity Wars
  2. Avengers: Endgame
  3. Thor: Ragnarok
  4. Civil War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Iron Man
  7. Spider-man: Homecoming
  8. Doctor Strange
  9. Black Panther
  10. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  12. Ant-man
  13. Captain America: The First Avenger
  14. Ant-man and the Wasp
  15. Avengers: Assemble
  16. Captain Marvel
  17. WandaVision
  18. Thor
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  20. Spider-man: Far From Home
  21. Iron Man 2
  22. Thor: Dark World
  23. Iron Man 3
  24. Incredible Hulk

1st one is fixated. Great.

2-4 are rotational. Great. Endgame is actually quite average film, but the sheer size and epicness it pulls, deserve to be #2.

5-9 are on similar level. Great.

10-14 are on similar level. Excellent.

15-18. Good.

19-22. Average but Good.

23. Average.

24. We don't talk about that.

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Indeed, not trying to imply otherwise.

Hide contents

Just meant it as something to keep in mind when calibrating expectations for the Loki or Ms Marvel or Hawkeye etc finales. These MCU final acts are still, at their core, MCU final acts. Some of them might buck the trend and have a more unique structure but my baseline expectation is CGI brawl with main character and a main villain who probably has some similarities, maybe a few colored beams here and there.    

I appreciate some variety myself, but I also kind of agree with what Menor said recently — with how ep 8 set up Agatha and White Vision, *not* getting a red and purple glowy witch duel or dueling laser beam robots would have been kind of a letdown.

I will alter my previous statement

Spoiler

I think the battle between Agatha and Wanda should have been more indulgent and CGI-heavy. Show cooler and weirder-looking powers than just glorified blaster bolts. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

may be have stuff like Titan war of Strange vs Thanos.

I thought it was going there when Wanda started with her mind thingy reaching in Salem.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Hide contents

I think the battle between Agatha and Wanda should have been more indulgent and CGI-heavy. Show cooler and weirder-looking powers than just glorified blaster bolts. 

Yeah I agree, this was actually my main complaint about it.  

Spoiler

The Thanos Strange right on Titan was just sooooooo sick. This felt like a pretty uncreative magic fight. Hopefully she gets some better showcases in DS2.