Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I completely disagree with that. I don’t think a 2 hour film would have been able to scratch the surface of the 5-6 hours that we just got. It’d have been a very rushed exploration of her grief with barely any build up. I mean, think about it, if it was a straightforward 2 hours, you’d have maybe half an hour to set up why she’s in the town and what’s going on, half an hour to bring in the SWORD stuff, half an hour of Wanda and SWORD putting the pieces together about what’s going on and then a big battle for the last 30 minutes. It wouldn’t work.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Having seen the whole thing I would have preferred a movie, I think. Not completely sure.   

But we aren’t getting 12 movies/yr, so some things are just gonna have to be executed as shows.

Just to add to that, WV’s actual runtime (minus credits, previously on, marvel intros, etc) is just 270 minutes. You wouldn’t have to trim that much for a 150 minute movie or something.   

The sitcom through the decades stuff was a kind of fun and out there framing device but I don’t know that it was really necessary for the core story here.

19 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I completely disagree with that. I don’t think a 2 hour film would have been able to scratch the surface of the 5-6 hours that we just got. It’d have been a very rushed exploration of her grief with barely any build up. I mean, think about it, if it was a straightforward 2 hours, you’d have maybe half an hour to set up why she’s in the town and what’s going on, half an hour to bring in the SWORD stuff, half an hour of Wanda and SWORD putting the pieces together about what’s going on and then a big battle for the last 30 minutes. It wouldn’t work.

You're missing his point. He's talking about removing the SWORD stuff (which is all part of the mystery box setup). I think the 5-6 hours was mostly bloat, which includes an hour or so of credits too. The sitcom stuff really didn't do much to explore her grief, neither did the mystery box style storytelling (which would've never worked with just roughly 4.5 hours of actual show time, excluding the extra-long credits), and neither did the SWORD stuff. Just spending 2 solid hours on the main characters and her conflict with Agatha and her own grief or whatever in would've been way better than what we got.

Edited by lorddemaxus

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're missing his point. He's talking about removing the SWORD stuff (which is all part of the mystery box setup). I think the 5-6 hours was mostly bloat, which includes an hour or so of credits too. The sitcom stuff really didn't do much to explore her grief, neither did the mystery box style storytelling (which would've never worked with just roughly 4.5 hours of actual show time, excluding the extra-long credits), and neither did the SWORD stuff. Just spending 2 solid hours on the main characters and her conflict with Agatha and her own grief or whatever in would've been way better than what we got.

Hmm, maybe, but personally I actually liked the SWORD stuff. I wasn’t really fully on board with the show until we started seeing the stuff outside the Hex with Jimmy and Monica. It’d have been a hell of a shame to lose the Monica stuff too since her return from the blip was one of the best scenes, not to mention her slow transformation from being exposed to the Hex.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

Hmm, maybe, but personally I actually liked the SWORD stuff. I wasn’t really fully on board with the show until we started seeing the stuff outside the Hex with Jimmy and Monica. It’d have been a hell of a shame to lose the Monica stuff too since her return from the blip was one of the best scenes, not to mention her slow transformation from being exposed to the Hex.

The SWORD storyline is basically a love letter to Monica and I love it. The movies wouldn't have been able to give so much time to her origin and development, and placing her grief and anguish in comparison to Wanda's was an excellent decision. Now she's already a fully realized character going into her first film CM2

Also "They want to see you in the cinema" got me like

e53452f4d60b13b307d27988d46df2c6.jpg

• Like 3

I have a slightly other ranking it seems. It varies, depends also sometimes on a bit of time to digest.

I do groups, within the group in no particular order

Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Avengers 1 (that I hold dear for being the one tying the preexisting styles/stories/characters/... together, a thing that I think still gets dismissed a lot at BOT), Guardians of the Galaxy 1, Dr Strange, Captain America 2, Thor 3

Ant-Man 1, Thor 1, Captain America 3, Avengers 3, Avengers 4, WandaVision

Iron Man 1, Ant-Man 2 

IHulk

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

at least 2 steps in between, to show there is a lot of space in between. Can‘t stand:

Iron Man 2, and Iron Man 3, and neither big parts of Thor 2, no interest to rewatch any of those. Ever.

Can’t stand the character of Iron Man in general. First movie opened a possibility that went down fast.

Can’t stand ‘Starlord’ neither, in part 1 a possibility again, went down in a big way in the second part, tendency worsening, see other appearances.

Never was a fan of Vision, nor War Machine (maybe bcs too near to Iron Man ?), War Machine tendency upwards.

In the case of WandaVision I feel uncomfortable also bcs the in my POV way to huge age difference between the actress and the actor (I think its 18y, in a way a generation, creepy like hell in my POV), was probably a co-reason with not being a fan of sit-coms (nor any comedy) it ended a step lower than it might have otherwise

I do like all other characters on the positive side of the MCU, all females in especial, but also all males beside the listed. Might have forgotten someone.

Zero interest into any Spider-Man, the character’s problems, focus, interests into... is way too young for my interests. That counts for all of those movies, including outside of the MCU.

I have major problems to categorize Captain America 1, I understand the intent, I feel like the theme/idea given to the director was a good one for the character then, but as a German I am so over the cardboard presentation of Germans... Also other details I do not like as much. Not a movie for me to rewatch, I might if someone I know wants to watch it with me.

Avengers 4 has big parts I do not like (or feel were done unequal), other parts like appearances of help... action... counter that so it just remains in that group instead of one lower.

Edited by terrestrial

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t include a television show in the ranking of the films.

You’d have to include Agents of SHIELD too in that case. 

Just including Marvel Studios productions is a pretty clear dividing line. Wandavision is basically on a tier with the movies. All the previous shows probably aren’t even canon.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

7 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The SWORD storyline is basically a love letter to Monica and I love it. The movies wouldn't have been able to give so much time to her origin and development, and placing her grief and anguish in comparison to Wanda's was an excellent decision. Now she's already a fully realized character going into her first film CM2

Also "They want to see you in the cinema" got me like

e53452f4d60b13b307d27988d46df2c6.jpg

This would be cool and all if they actually did something with that character. She was easily the most generic character in the show and her "grief" gets even less exploration than Wanda's. I dont think there was even any time in the show for her to grieve her mother or something and the plot just plods forward. Besides that scene in the hospital, they do nothing with her character and she's merely a plot device for most of the show. 

• Like 3

From what I can see this show is quite polarizing.

• Many people love it
  • many people think it's a good addition to the MCU but that's it
  • many people dislike it (like, more than usual, not just a "MCU = bleh" but more like "guys this is terrible wtf?")

But mainly having a story, ANY story centering on Wanda is a dream come true for me so there was no way in hell I'd dislike this, ultimately, unless it was absolutely terrible. And since she has great character development throughout the series, and is a layered and complex character, I am definitely satisfied.

Edited by Daxtreme
typos
  • Like 6

I thought this ended up being decent but not great, although it felt like a refreshing change of pace from the usual "saving the world" plotlines of the MCU. Liked seeing Wanda processing the loss of Vision (since she had no time to due to dissolving into dust). Loved all the sitcom homages.

Elizabeth Olsen was finally given a chance to truly shine here and she delivered. Paul Bettany was quite good too. Kathryn Hahn chewing on the scenery was a ton of fun. Loved seeing Kat Dennings and Randall Park pop up again. Even the boys who played their kids were good. I hope this isn't the last we see of Evan Peters' character lmao.

Bring on The Falcon & the Winter Soldier in two weeks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

From what I can see this show is quite polarizing.

• Many people love it
  • many people think it's a good addition to the MCU but that's it
  • many people dislike it (like, more than usual, not just a "MCU = bleh" but more like "guys this is terrible wtf?")

But mainly having a story, ANY story centering on Wanda is a dream come true for me so there was no way in hell I'd dislike this, ultimately, unless it was absolutely terrible. And since she has great character development throughout the series, and is a layered and complex character, I am definitely satisfied.

Do you mean in general or do you mean the finale?