Daxtreme

Disney+ MCU: Wandavision | January 15, 2021 | UNTAGGED SPOILERS ALLOWED! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The consistent lack of respect paid to Better Call Saul over the last few years is baffling to me. The latest season was outstanding and better than most of the shows that actually do get nominated. Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn should be easy nominations, and the episode where Saul was in the desert from this season would easily win best writing and direction in a just world.

Sadly yes. Awards are not the only measure of quality. They are decided by a limited number of people (be it 12, 90, 6000,etc) who watch what gets most aggressively campaigned and/or is most buzzed about. So some quality program is always going to slip through cracks. Emmys up'd the number of nominees in some categories (8 for Outstanding Drama, 6 in various acting) but even that cannot put all deserved in the line up. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Really? Its not even Top 10 shows of 2020-21 I suppose. 

and Better Call Saul has just 3 nominations? That's like best running TV shows presently.

Better Call Saul didn't air this past year

It's almost the end of 2021 and we still don't know where Wanda goes next after Doctor Strange 2.

I am almost confident that a Scarlet Witch movie is on the cards, but Disney are probably just wanting to get through the first few batches of movies before announcing anything past the Fantastic Four movie. We already have Cap 4 and Blade as un-announced movies on the timeline. 

• Like 1

Rewatched this because the wait to May 6th is killing me

Still love it. The finale is clunky but it's also emotional so it works for me. The 8th episode packs a fucking wallop.

On rewatch what struck me is that Wanda's grief hits harder and clearly she's not really aware of the pain she's causing until Agatha shows her. Like she thinks that, as far as she's concerned, yes she robbed them of their free will, but it's not painful to them. They're safe and at peace (that's what she says she thinks is happening). Obviously she knows it's wrong on some level, but what she doesn't know is how bad it is for the people of Westview.

From the minute Agatha shows her that that's not true, she immediately understands that the Hex must be taken down. First thing she does is she tries to remove it then realizes she's gonna lose her family, so that's when she also realizes that she wants to tell them goodbye first. She needs to. Anyway, after days of mental subjugation (which she now understands is wrong and is causing them pain), it's not an extra 10 minutes that's gonna change anything to their suffering, but it will give her the closure she needs.

So from the very moment Agatha tells her, she knows it's over. First she has to deal with Agatha though, which she does in a mess of a showdown that's clearly the series' low point. Then she releases everyone after saying her goodbyes to her family.

It's still wrong to mentally subjugate people, especially painfully like this, but it wasn't a fully conscious decision. Also, she wasn't aware it brought them suffering. As soon as she was shown, she started the process of destroying the hex, knowing that this was, in fact, very wrong. 

A real villain wouldn't have cared that their actions caused suffering to other people. She acted selfishly... for a while. Part of being a good person is realizing you've made mistakes and making amends for them. I don't think she's a villain at her core but that was definitely problematic behavior. She did cause some massive psychological damage to those people, which I have no doubt will continue to affect her going forward.

I just think the ending scene with the people of Westview could have been handled way better. Her amends feel weak because, while we know she truly feels sorry for her actions, we're not shown that part all that well. The only person she talks to is Monica and that is not enough. She should have apologized to the town or something (I think). Or at least tried to. Whether they accept her apology is not would have been up to them though, but at least try something. Anything.

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 5:34 AM, Daxtreme said:

Rewatched this because the wait to May 6th is killing me

Still love it. The finale is clunky but it's also emotional so it works for me. The 8th episode packs a fucking wallop.

On rewatch what struck me is that Wanda's grief hits harder and clearly she's not really aware of the pain she's causing until Agatha shows her. Like she thinks that, as far as she's concerned, yes she robbed them of their free will, but it's not painful to them. They're safe and at peace (that's what she says she thinks is happening). Obviously she knows it's wrong on some level, but what she doesn't know is how bad it is for the people of Westview.

From the minute Agatha shows her that that's not true, she immediately understands that the Hex must be taken down. First thing she does is she tries to remove it then realizes she's gonna lose her family, so that's when she also realizes that she wants to tell them goodbye first. She needs to. Anyway, after days of mental subjugation (which she now understands is wrong and is causing them pain), it's not an extra 10 minutes that's gonna change anything to their suffering, but it will give her the closure she needs.

So from the very moment Agatha tells her, she knows it's over. First she has to deal with Agatha though, which she does in a mess of a showdown that's clearly the series' low point. Then she releases everyone after saying her goodbyes to her family.

It's still wrong to mentally subjugate people, especially painfully like this, but it wasn't a fully conscious decision. Also, she wasn't aware it brought them suffering. As soon as she was shown, she started the process of destroying the hex, knowing that this was, in fact, very wrong. 

A real villain wouldn't have cared that their actions caused suffering to other people. She acted selfishly... for a while. Part of being a good person is realizing you've made mistakes and making amends for them. I don't think she's a villain at her core but that was definitely problematic behavior. She did cause some massive psychological damage to those people, which I have no doubt will continue to affect her going forward.

I just think the ending scene with the people of Westview could have been handled way better. Her amends feel weak because, while we know she truly feels sorry for her actions, we're not shown that part all that well. The only person she talks to is Monica and that is not enough. She should have apologized to the town or something (I think). Or at least tried to. Whether they accept her apology is not would have been up to them though, but at least try something. Anything.

I agree with you on the ending, and Monica's line to Wanda at the end didn't help. They didn't do enough to portray that Wanda was truly sorry about what she did. I think that's kind of the fault of this MCU franchise is that so many of these character arcs continue in consequent stories, so we never have the "full picture" of a character's arc to be able to make a judgement (i.e. Wanda's arc in DS2) 

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, Wormow said:

I agree with you on the ending, and Monica's line to Wanda at the end didn't help. They didn't do enough to portray that Wanda was truly sorry about what she did. I think that's kind of the fault of this MCU franchise is that so many of these character arcs continue in consequent stories, so we never have the "full picture" of a character's arc to be able to make a judgement (i.e. Wanda's arc in DS2) 

Yeah and well, you can feel sorry for her and at the same time think that what she did was wrong

It's not one or the other. I think lots of people seem to think it is but it isn't.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:02 AM, Daxtreme said:

Yeah and well, you can feel sorry for her and at the same time think that what she did was wrong

It's not one or the other. I think lots of people seem to think it is but it isn't.

I don't see how anywhere in my post did I say you can't feel sorry for her and know what she did was wrong.