baumer

Underwater (2020)

Grade it  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

UNDERWATER

Caught this a couple days ago as the lone viewer in a freshly built theatre with heated reclining seats. The comfort helped the time pass as I ate a few milk duds. I liked how the film just gives you a few visual articles about the drilling machinery and the complex. It just drops you in and the action begins almost immediately. Now it does just become a get from Point A to Point B film but I enjoyed the group of characters they threw together to get us there. I thought Kristen Stewart was fine in this role. The creature design was interesting and the super Levianthan type thing near the end was excellent as well. The underwater visuals were all very believable to me. The visual effects looked pretty good. I think it had a couple or three jump scares but I think it should have had way more scares to enhance the claustrophobic nature of being trapped underwater essentially at the bottom of the ocean. More scares would have made this a better film for me. Overall, it was good for a once view. 

Grade - B

I liked to see any big budget horror film where the cast of characters are barely known and get killed off one by one as they try to escape. It would be more fun if the monster ended on the surface facing the military until retreat. We deserve to see this behemoth stand tall and menacing for one good shot. it is set in the near future, where they have a lot of submersibles. I too was one of three in the theater opening weekend, 

B-

This movie is one of a type, but it's a type of which there haven't been a lot recently, and of which I enjoy. I enjoyed the world, I enjoyed the atmosphere, I enjoyed the visuals, I enjoyed the pacing, I enjoyed the characters for the most part. At times the lack of vision was helpful, but there were a few moments of full-on confusion in a negative sense. Krisen Stewart was really good in this, and the performances in general pretty nice.

There are moments where it feels like Deep Blue Sea, moments where it feels like Event Horizon and moment where it feels like X Files. And that sums it up both positively and negatively for me.