sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

4 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Well, Joker was a non-franchise film, technically speaking. At least until its sequel.

From reading the press release they created this “list” because they wanted films that don’t get the attention they deserve because they’re sandwiches between Marvel films and Super hero films. I guess Joker made the list cause he isn’t marvel or a super hero 😝 

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is for "an artist-driven film that advances the art of making movies." Fits Joker perfectly, the growing number of prestigious awards only confirms it.

I’m not arguing with you about whether or not Joker fits that description. I’m just saying that the list wasn’t created based on how many awards the movie will take lol 

The current list is a weird list of movies without any real criteria of how they decided to make up the list. Anyways it’s been going on since the summer and I’m just realizing it right now so maybe they have a trend of films they like picking and I’m just not picking up on it cause I’m currently looking at their current list of Artisan films and its just random. 

Really the AMC Artisan thing was just created because AMC (and other movie theaters) are realizing people aren't showing up to midbudget stuff and they want to promote that stuff in the cheapest and laziest way possible. The Artisan stuff really only seems to be just something plastered on their website in hopes that maybe some people will turn their eyes toward it, though I doubt it's very effective.

• Like 4

Was re-watching some of Marriage Story last night. Damn that movie is so good and heartbreaking, but I'm getting the feeling it's going to be the Boyhood of 2019 (critically acclaimed, woulda made about 25M at the box office, and only winning one major Oscar for supporting actress). 

Driver and Johanssen are phenomenal wow

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

Really the AMC Artisan thing was just created because AMC (and other movie theaters) are realizing people aren't showing up to midbudget stuff and they want to promote that stuff in the cheapest and laziest way possible. The Artisan stuff really only seems to be just something plastered on their website in hopes that maybe some people will turn their eyes toward it, though I doubt it's very effective.

It’s not effective considering half of the movies I went through on their list I hadn’t even heard of :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Was re-watching some of Marriage Story last night. Damn that movie is so good and heartbreaking, but I'm getting the feeling it's going to be the Boyhood of 2019 (critically acclaimed, woulda made about 25M at the box office, and only winning one major Oscar for supporting actress). 

Yeah, it pretty much is the Boyhood of the year. I would say about 4-5 months ago, it would have been frontrunner for Picture, Actor, Actress, and Original Screenplay along with Supp. Actress. Now, it's only a frontrunner for Supp. Actress.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, it pretty much is the Boyhood of the year. I would say about 4-5 months ago, it would have been frontrunner for Picture, Actor, Actress, and Original Screenplay along with Supp. Actress. Now, it's only a frontrunner for Supp. Actress.

Wasn't Boyhood the frontrunner for Best Picture though? I remember being pissed off that it didn't win, I thought it had a very good chance.

La La Land's fate was the worst though, I was so happy that my favorite movie of the year won, then that fiasco happened... I haven't watched the Oscars since then. 

Edited by misafeco
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

What a bomb The Grudge is, why the hell they turned it into Rated R? 

If it were PG13, at least teens girls would show up and it would've performed on par with other January Horror bad movies, that's what you get for selling yourself for a R rating.

Just like they did for Black Christmas....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

What a bomb The Grudge is, why the hell they turned it into Rated R? 

If it were PG13, at least teens girls would show up and it would've performed on par with other January Horror bad movies, that's what you get for selling yourself for a R rating.

I don’t think the R rating was the problem here lol. 

It probably won’t end up being a bomb either, worldwide. 

6 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

BC was released around the worst month for a Horror movie, while TG was released in one of the best, even awful movies like The Bye Bye Man, The Forest did way more this month than TG, because they're PG13. 

Underwater is doing poorly.

7 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Saw Knives Out and TROS this weekend.  Better crowds at both than I would have expected this late in their runs.  Crowd was really into KO, really big cheers at the end. 

I can't imagine being in a theatre with constant cheers like that. Must be annoying tbh, audiences here are much more reserved. Even on a Star Wars opening night, you'll get cheers at the opening crawl, maybe a round of applause at a big moment (Chewie... we're home) and then a standing ovation when the end credits appear. But cheering during a non-fanboy movie? Never experienced it.

9 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

BC was released around the worst month for a Horror movie, while TG was released in one of the best, even awful movies like The Bye Bye Man, The Forest did way more this month than TG, because they're PG13. 

Grudge probably won’t be far off Bye Bye Man’s total. Plus those two didn’t have an F Cinemascore. 

(Bye Bye Man is one of the worst horror films of the last decade, IMO). 

Grudge might’ve been helped if it had a younger lead actress. 

1917             13.700
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker               6.825
Jumanji: The Next Level               6.400
Like a Boss               3.800
Just Mercy               3.600
Little Women               3.280
Frozen 2               2.780
Underwater               2.770
Knives Out               2.550

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker               6.825 (+74%)
Jumanji: The Next Level               6.400 (+94%)

Little Women               3.280 (+50%)
Frozen 2               2.780(+127%)

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:
1917             13.700
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker               6.825
Jumanji: The Next Level               6.400
Like a Boss               3.800
Just Mercy               3.600
Little Women               3.280
Frozen 2               2.780
Underwater               2.770
Knives Out               2.550

F2 +126.2% from Friday, in line with my expectations. 30% drop on Sunday would make the weekend number 5.9-6.0.

• Like 3