sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

In some OS news, TROS was finally released at SK and it's bombing harder than everyone expected.

It's TOTAL will be lower than what TLJ did on OW alone, and TLJ already flopped there, so it says all.

Wow!

Wrong thread for that, but its not a surprise at all given SW's downward trajectory in SK and the hard time HW movies have had in SK recently (aside from Frozen 2). Jum3 came down 40% from Jum1 and it only pulled a 1.5x multi (Jum2 did a respectable 2.5x). TLJ only did 1.6x, TROS will probably pull 1.4x and a 40% comedown from TLJ. Not such a surprise. I don't think Disney was looking to SK to save TROS.....

Totally unrelated, but I'm getting tired of Deadline and Forbes making these simple math errors will take in around $17M in Weekend 4 for the No 2. spot, -51%. Its running total will be $477.9M by Sunday. I mean seriously how hard is it to add 17 + 463. Anyone read Mendelson or Travis Bean's recent articles about 4th weekends as a percent of OW? Neither seems capable of simple division.  It amazes me how writers for Deadline and Forbes (pubs that are still better than most others for BO news) can make such errors when it comes to basic math, weekend multis and predictions. I know its discussed often, but most people on this forum do this as a hobby and are leagues better. At least Deadline still provides some value given their laundry list of industry insiders

Anyways based on weekend multiples (from Thursday) of TROS and Jumanji respectively, a comparable TLJ weekend gets TROS to 15.5-16m and a Jum2 comp gets Jum3 to 14-15.5m. It'll definitely be much closer than 17m and 13m (as Deadline predicts), and SW will likely fall below Jum3 next weekend (though admittedly I thought it would already happen this weekend)

Edited by Justin4125

39 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

sw-guardians-colors-tn_.jpg

That's the only way to save Star Wars and you know it :shades:

I don't know if having Feige taking over SW is a good idea..and I don;'t think Feige wants to be in total control,he has enough on his plate already;but I do think whoever takes over needs to be like Feige in being able to ride herd on the different writers and directors in a multi film universe and be sure they are all on the same page; the failure to do that was Kennedy's biggest failure.

I think SW as a franchise is showing it's age; I see it  becoming like the James Bond franchise;still popular, still profitable, but not the 400 pound gorilla franchise it once was.

Edited by dudalb

I hope Mercy legs it strong like Upside did. That one did 5.3x while 4-4.5x for Mercy would be very nice. 45-50 dom on 25 prod budget (variety), like with Harriet (43 on 17) and QnS (44-45 on 20).

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

I hope Mercy legs it strong like Upside did. That one did 5x+ while 4-4.5x for Mercy would be very nice. 45-50 dom on 25 prod budget (variety), like with Harriet (43 on 17) and QnS (44-45 on 20).

Release pattern reminds me a lot of Selma here. Thinking it may also have Day 11 (MLK) as biggest day of wide release and 50+ total.

• Like 1

That's really strong for Just Mercy considering how much lower it was looking like it could have ended up. If 1917 does indeed land in the low-30s I'd say its something of a disappointment relative to expectations and potential, but still obviously a very strong number.