sfran43

Weekend Thread: Thursday Night Preview - 1917 $3.25M | Like a Boss $1M | Just Mercy $800K | Underwater $500K

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I just noticed that Like a Boss doesn't even have a Audience Score on RT, lol. Not even PostTrak info about this movie.

The Metacritic is 33. Even the new Grudge has a higher Metacritic ( 40 ) than this movie.

I honestly can't believe a movie like this is out-opening a movie like Underwater. I mean, neither are that great, but clearly Like a Boss is terrible. At least UW has a concept. I don't know, just me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

I don't know if having Feige taking over SW is a good idea..and I don;'t think Feige wants to be in total control,he has enough on his plate already;but I do think whoever takes over needs to be like Feige in being able to ride herd on the different writers and directors in a multi film universe and be sure they are all on the same page; the failure to do that was Kennedy's biggest failure.

I think SW as a franchise is showing it's age; I see it  becoming like the James Bond franchise;still popular, still profitable, but not the 400 pound gorilla franchise it once was.

I wasn't suggesting this, just make a crossover between these 2 franchises that's all, LucasFilm and Marvel can collaborate as they're part of the same group!

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I honestly can't believe a movie like this is out-opening a movie like Underwater. I mean, neither are that great, but clearly Like a Boss is terrible. At least UW has a concept. I don't know, just me.

I would not pay to see either one, but for me UW looked like a mashup of every underwater adventure film made for the past 30 years. At least Like A Boss looks like it might have a laugh or two in there.

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I wasn't suggesting this, just make a crossover between these 2 franchises that's all, LucasFilm and Marvel can collaborate as they're part of the same group!

God, a crossover would be the worst move for the SW universe at this time. Looks as if Disney was desperate to try to salvage it.

And last time I looked, TORS would end up making over a Billion. Yes, it might not be what Disney wanted, or as well as other SW films, but is still made a shitload of money for Disney.  Disney is a long way from giving up SW.

A crossover is not happening, and would be a bad idea anyway.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I would not pay to see either one, but for me UW looked like a mashup of every underwater adventure film made for the past 30 years. At least Like A Boss looks like it might have a laugh or two in there.

Yep, different strokes I guess. I'm not joking when I say I'd see it for Salma Hayek. That's it.

5 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Can't wait for this. Not generally interested in anime but your name was so freaking delightful. Booked my ticket for the end of the month. (Just has a 1-night-only release here)

1917 doing over $30 million opening weekend for Universal will be a win! Especially considering their 4th quarter of 2019 wasn’t all that great as Cats, and Black Christmas were their major under performers. They had mid-range films do ok like Last Christmas and Queen & Slim.

Also Doolittle next weekend smells flop. The 1960’s Rex Harrison adaptation had the same situation it had production problems and budget issues. It was also one of the biggest bombs. The Eddie Murphy version did well thanks to family audiences and The Nutty Professor’s time slot was a great spot in the middle of the summer! Also Robert Downey Jr outside of The Avengers can’t sell a film on his own right(majority of The Avengers cast can’t sell a movie) as it’s been proven before with his costars ex. ScarJo and Ghost In The Shell or Chris Hemsworth with Huntsman or Men In Black: International.

Anything over 30m is tremendous for 1917 - it's a very British World War I movie with zero real starpower attached in January. This ain't American Sniper folks - it ain't even Dunkirk. Likely heading towards 35m, which is excellent for this kind of movie.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Anything over 30m is tremendous for 1917 - it's a very British World War I movie with zero real starpower attached in January. This ain't American Sniper folks - it ain't even Dunkirk. Likely heading towards 35m, which is excellent for this kind of movie.

It's crazy to me that people are disappointed in 35.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It's crazy to me that people are disappointed in 35.

It's almost identical to Lone Survivor on the exact same weekend - which was an easily marketable modern war movie with "America, fuck yeah" heartland appeal and Mark Wahlberg right before everyone realized he was a jackass. I predicted like 20m for 1917 until I saw tracking, honestly. I came into this thread and thought I must have been asleep at the wheel, only to find people saying it's bad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

That's really strong for Just Mercy considering how much lower it was looking like it could have ended up. If 1917 does indeed land in the low-30s I'd say its something of a disappointment relative to expectations and potential, but still obviously a very strong number. 

I think WB should have released Just Mercy at Christmas and platformed Richard Jewell for a wide January release but I wonder if they hoping for a MLK Weekend boost next week?

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

$30M+ is a damn good opening, especially when you think about the strong legs this should have during awards season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB should have released Just Mercy at Christmas and platformed Richard Jewell for a wide January release but I wonder if they hoping for a MLK Weekend boost next week?

I think it was supposed to open wide over MLK Weekend originally but was moved up. With what will probably be glowing WOM and little competition aside from the Oscar contenders already in theaters for a while (there doesn't seem to be another drama aimed at older audiences opening until The Way Back in almost two months?) I imagine staying power will be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenguinHyphy said:

So, the same budget as Dunkirk, but it is going to gross way less than that. Meh

Dunkirk was directed by Christopher Nolan. Also you could actually wait to see what it's legs and international numbers are like.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I wonder if JM can snag an A+ for its wide Cinemascore to match the Christmas A+’s. My gut is saying yes, though of course A would also be fine.

Just got out of it, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me. Genuinely powerful, beautiful stuff.

• Like 1