Jump to content
filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

Recommended Posts

In The Guardian, of all rags!!!

That's refreshing.

 

"Men’s supposed lack of interest in Little Women became the dominant narrative of the movie, implying it reveals the (alleged) lack of interest men have, in the words of the New York Times, in “see[ing] women as human beings”.

It couldn’t possibly be that Little Women is just a bad movie – although it is. Little Women is one of those books that has been over-adapted, with five previous film adaptations, plus a miniseries, plus a theatrical production, plus an anime version, and on and on.

The book itself is sentimental and sloppy, although interesting in the way it portrays hardship and deprivation. Its mediocrity makes mysterious its continued cultural dominance. Somehow the version adapted and directed by Greta Gerwig ramps up the sentimentality and strips the story of anything of interest. In her version, poverty looks glamorous, advocacy means just having the right opinions, and there are no consequences for anyone’s actions. At one point, I slid so far down in my chair to avoid looking at the screen and the incredibly painful things that were happening – painful to me, not to the characters – that I was nearly sitting on the floor."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

 

 

The major issue i had with Little Women as I dont find the characters struggles to be really interesting and it does little to explore the time period of that time at all and the events. Something like Cold Mountain was much more interesting to me.

 

I was very interested in the film as I find that civil war america is a fascinating time period of history and something i have a lot of interest in. 

 

Its nothing about a film about women is never interesting to me XD 

Exactly. The probelm is with zealots who simply won't accept criticism and therefore try to gaslight any by labelling this or that ism. You don't think a movie by a woman about women is all that, must be sexism. you don't think a movie by a PoC about PoC is all that, must be racism. they won't allow constructive criticism, as if those film-makers cannot handle it, and that's awfully patronizing. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a co-lead and your movie's only real hope for a nomination, you should just be bold and go for the Lead category. The people who try to catch up with potential nominees before voting are going to watch movies that are contending in multiple categories, before getting around to the movie that might have one "lowly" Supporting nomination. Voters might not prioritize a movie with a lone Lead nomination either, but it's still higher up on the awards food chain. Sucks for JLo, though, she really wanted that Oscar nod and showed up everywhere, pretty much. The same thing happened to Chalamet last year with Beautiful Boy. Sure, Hustlers had the box office, but these voters watch most movies via screeners anyway.

 

When was the last movie that won Best Picture, after leading the nomination tally? 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

When was the last movie that won Best Picture, after leading the nomination tally? 

Pretty sure it was The Shape of Water just two years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

If you are a co-lead and your movie's only real hope for a nomination, you should just be bold and go for the Lead category. The people who try to catch up with potential nominees before voting are going to watch movies that are contending in multiple categories, before getting around to the movie that might have one "lowly" Supporting nomination. Voters might not prioritize a movie with a lone Lead nomination either, but it's still higher up on the awards food chain. Sucks for JLo, though she really wanted that Oscar nod and showed up everywhere, pretty much. The same thing happened to Chalamet last year with Beautiful Boy. Sure, Hustlers had the box office, but these voters watch most movies via screeners anyway.

 

When was the last movie that won Best Picture, after leading the nomination tally? 

this is very true. Sole nominees for their movies are the most vulenrable to snubs as are also-runs (even in pictures that have across the board support). deNiro is the exmaple of the latter. His movie did great with various awards but he wasn't seen as a potential winner and thus was jumped over by actors who had potential winner clout attached to them. Jlo is the example of sole nominee who is an also-run. Dern's so strong in her category that upset doesn't seem likely and Jlo is her movie's sole nominee. OTOH, zellweger being a frontrunner doesn't need support for her movie for she's that strong so she didn't miss. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's true but jlo did lose out the nomination to Kathy Bates. maybe if richard jewell had been a hit it would've got more nominations idk. i pretty much totally forgot about it until her name came up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

this is very true. Sole nominees for their movies are the most vulenrable to snubs as are also-runs (even in pictures that have across the board support). deNiro is the exmaple of the latter. His movie did great with various awards but he wasn't seen as a potential winner and thus was jumped over by actors who had potential winner clout attached to them. Jlo is the example of sole nominee who is an also-run. Dern's so strong in her category that upset doesn't seem likely and Jlo is her movie's sole nominee. OTOH, zellweger being a frontrunner doesn't need support for her movie for she's that strong so she didn't miss. 

Judy also got in for Makeup so it clearly at least had some support in more than one category. FWIW Hanks and Bates both got in as the lone nominees for their movies but their movies were probably always going to be a higher priority for the Academy to check out than something like Hustlers was ever gonna be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think I overpredicted Jojo's chance of winning BP considering that it won't win anything else in the Oscars (maybe it surprise wins Screenplay). I guess its a five way between 1917, OUATIH, The Irishman, Parasite, and Joker right now. Hopefully next week's wins give a clearer picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking SAG will go to OUAT...IH or Parasite. Won't be surprised if either wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

this is very true. Sole nominees for their movies are the most vulenrable to snubs as are also-runs (even in pictures that have across the board support). deNiro is the exmaple of the latter. His movie did great with various awards but he wasn't seen as a potential winner and thus was jumped over by actors who had potential winner clout attached to them. Jlo is the example of sole nominee who is an also-run. Dern's so strong in her category that upset doesn't seem likely and Jlo is her movie's sole nominee. OTOH, zellweger being a frontrunner doesn't need support for her movie for she's that strong so she didn't miss. 

Agree, if there isn't a lot of passion for a performance it might get leapfrogged. Sometimes there's a coattail effect, if they really love a movie they will vote for everyone in it, but it depends on the strength of the category that year. Like, Alan Arkin got in for yelling "Argo f--- yourself" repeatedly, but no one ever said the Oscars were fair.

 

I thought it was so weird last year that Jonathan Pryce got no traction for The Wife at all last year, I am looking at this year's nod as a bit of a make good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I think I overpredicted Jojo's chance of winning BP considering that it won't win anything else in the Oscars (maybe it surprise wins Screenplay). I guess its a five way between 1917, OUATIH, The Irishman, Parasite, and Joker right now. Hopefully next week's wins give a clearer picture.

right now I think Parasite or Hollywood gets best picture (depends on who wins the PGA) and Sam Mendes for director (the DGA are not gonna resist his movie because it's a technical achievement).

 

1917 will be the Gravity to Parasite/Hollywood's 12 years a slave. (from 2013).

Edited by RealLyre
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knives Out not being nominated for Best Picture? Weird.

 

Also...Lupita Nyong'o was robbed of an Oscar nomination. Her performance in Us was spectacular and above most of the nominees. 

 

Kathy damn Bates? Really? And Margot Robbie for Bombshell (she was good but nowhere near Oscar-worthy)? You could easily have had Jennifer Lopez and Ana De Armas in their spots. Hell, even Dern getting a nomination was borderline ridiculous. Shame.

 

Endgame getting only one nomination? Come on...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Knives Out not being nominated for Best Picture? Weird.

 

Also...Lupita Nyong'o was robbed of an Oscar nomination. Her performance in Us was spectacular and above most of the nominees. 

 

Kathy damn Bates? Really? And Margot Robbie for Bombshell (she was good but nowhere near Oscar-worthy)? You could easily have had Jennifer Lopez and Ana De Armas in their spots. Hell, even Dern getting a nomination was borderline ridiculous. Shame.

 

Endgame getting only one nomination? Come on...

Knives Out didn't have broad support. It was always a long shot.

The Actress categories - both lead and supporting - are INCREDIBLY weak. Like, pathetic, really...

No issue with Endgame's sole nomination. Shame TROS had more than that, but there you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, reddevil19 said:

Knives Out didn't have broad support. It was always a long shot.

The Actress categories - both lead and supporting - are INCREDIBLY weak. Like, pathetic, really...

No issue with Endgame's sole nomination. Shame TROS had more than that, but there you are.

yeah, I'm actually astounded at how pathetic both leading and supporting actress categories are. I was stunned seeing Margot's name. I just saw Bombshell a week ago...in what god-damn universe did she deserve an Oscar? That film was dominated solely by Charlize. 

 

The fact that she got in over Armas or Lopez is ludicrous. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

 

The Actress categories - both lead and supporting - are INCREDIBLY weak. Like, pathetic, really...

 

Indeed. Besides ScarJo in lead, the other noms in lead and supporting are so weak. Laura Dern? lol.       I have not seen Judy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Is this supposed to be a joke ?

 

Do critics evaluate movies with any other standard ?

Critics, yes still a lot of them (would say most), how Once Upon A Time, Uncut Gem, Mariage Story, Knive Out, Irishman end up on the top 10 on metacritic, if it was a political context ?

 

That more something strong outside critics in the pundit world than them I think, think how big the youtuber are in the critical world and how little politic play in their review for many of the most popular of them.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Barnack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ana de Armas would be a category fraud in supporting.

 

re: Pryce. Agreed that type of role+last year snub contributed to his nom

 

re: Judy. I missed make up nom so good point. There's support and renee isn't a loner.

 

re: Jojo win. It has a powerful combo of Editing+Script+Acting (and DGA nom is important even if Director win cannot happen - Green Book had this situation last year). If it starts winning Guilds then other precursor misses won't mean anything.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alli said:

Indeed. Besides ScarJo in lead, the other noms in lead and supporting are so weak. Laura Dern? lol.       I have not seen Judy

What is your problem with Laura Dern in Marriage Story?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I think I overpredicted Jojo's chance of winning BP considering that it won't win anything else in the Oscars (maybe it surprise wins Screenplay). I guess its a five way between 1917, OUATIH, The Irishman, Parasite, and Joker right now. Hopefully next week's wins give a clearer picture.

Parasite isnt going to win BP if it wins best international film. The Irishman won't win because its a Netflix film. Its down to the other three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

What is your problem with Laura Dern in Marriage Story?

It was a fine performance, but not that challenging to score an oscar/nom. This year has been incredibly weak for women performances if Laura Dern is a frontrunner to win the oscar,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.