filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

This might be the least surprising set of nominees in recent memory.

Phillips getting in isn't surprising but Joker leading in total noms is. No Song Kang-ho nom blows; I was really rooting for that.

I've been on the Hollywood winning Picture train for over a month but it feels like 1917 vs. Parasite at this point. Same for Director.

• Like 2

predictions:

Picture: Parasite

Director: Mendes

Actor: Joaquin

Actress: Renee

S. Actor: Pitt

S. Actress: Dern

O. Screenplay: Parasite

A. Screenplay: Little Women

Foreign: Parasite

Animated: Toy Story 4

Documentary: American Factory

Cinematography: 1917

Costumes: Little Women

Editing: Ford v Ferrari

Make-up: Bombshell

Production Design: Hollywood

Sound: 1917

Sound Editing: 1917

Score: Joker

Song:... Harriet?

Visual Effects: The Lion King

thinking people getting bent out of shape about gerwig not getting director nod might help her win screenplay. though jojo or irishman could just as easily win that. Song i guess rocketman has the globe and a big name, don't think they'll give it to Frozen for Let It Go Again, i'm just guessing harriet as a way to give erivo a win since they know she won't win best actress.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

that's what spin doctors on the other side do as well. All sides do it.

Nobody questions why women don't show up for Rambo and Expendables. Not their kind of movie, move on. Same reason why men don't show up for Little Women and Pitch Perfect. Not their kind of movie. But some state their opinion, that disninterest is 100% sexist and nothing to do with taste, as a fact/unquestionable truth and this article points that out. yes, the article states their opinion on LW and some other movies as fact/truth thus committing the same crime but opinion = truth/fact exists on all sides. it's just that, depending whose side one is on, one is annoyed when the other side does it while glosses over their side transgression.

Give me movies with women leads and a promising concept and I'll show up. Make these characters interesting and/or relatable and I'll give a thumbs up. It's that simple. Actually half of my favorite movies of this decade has a female lead.

I watched Lady Bird on opening week with friends and thought it was a very good movie. Can't say I'm very excited about Little Women, looks like standard Oscar bait riding the waves of the feminist movement in Hollywood. Might be wrong, I'll check it out eventually.

Probably the biggest reason why I stopped caring about the Oscars is the politics surrounding it. It's toxic, someone is always offended, and people are talking about anything but the wonderful movies cinema offers us. Which would be the whole point of these award shows, offering something different than casual movies to the general public and celebrating the achievements of filmmaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Lion King shit show is one of the most hilarious thing I ve seen in a long time.

"It s animation.

It s not.

it is.

It isn't I am telling you.

etc

etc

etc"

loop

Edited by The Futurist

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

predictions:

thinking people getting bent out of shape about gerwig not getting director nod might help her win screenplay. though jojo or irishman could just as easily win that. Song i guess rocketman has the globe and a big name, don't think they'll give it to Frozen for Let It Go Again, i'm just guessing harriet as a way to give erivo a win since they know she won't win best actress.

I can dig this. I would switch out:

Knives Out for Screenplay (NOT LETTING GO 🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪)

Rocketman for Song

VFX for Irishman (because we truly are living in the Upside Down)

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

How many foreign films have won Best Picture in the past?

No foreign language film has ever won the Best Picture Oscar. Before Parasite, only ten foreign language films have been nominated for Best Picture; Parasite now makes 11 films.

The Academy now calls them "International Feature Films", but still has the requirement that the film has to be in a language other than English. It makes for a confusing category, as this means it disqualifies international films that are in English (even if the country's official language, or one of their official languages, is English). Although "International Feature Films" is more accurate in the sense that the films in this category have to be from another country (i.e. non-American) in order to be nominated - so, a film in a foreign language but produced in America isn't eligible (for example, Letters from Iwo Jima).

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, misafeco said:

Probably the biggest reason why I stopped caring about the Oscars is the politics surrounding it. It's toxic, someone is always offended, and people are talking about anything but the wonderful movies cinema offers us. Which would be the whole point of these award shows, offering something different than casual movies to the general public and celebrating the achievements of filmmaking.

If anything, the Oscars prove each year that Hollywood is nowhere near as "progressive" as the media would want you to think. 

Of course there's always some made up controversy with the media fishing for clicks (and Film Twitter fishing for likes) but the industry (and audiences) ends up loving great films without caring about the politics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

How many foreign films have won Best Picture in the past?

None,though a number have been nominated.

But Parasite might stand a better chance then previus foreing language films, since it's a pretty weak field this year.

BTW it should really be "foreign Language film" techinically, a British production would be a "foreign film" but a number of those have won BP (I think Olivier's "Hamlet" was the first).

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Yeah I think Dern's performance in Marriage Story is overrated. It's good, don't get mr wrong, but it didn't feel ample enough for any accolades in my opinion. Kind of like Margot Robbie I  OUaTiH.

Dern also has the "overdue" factor in her favor, she has been doing very good work for years but has yet to win. And anybody who thinks this does not influence voters, is living in La La Land. There have been a number of "Make Up Oscars", where an actors wins not so much for his performance, but that he has been snubbed in the past and is just overdue for an Oscar.

Al Pacino is the casebook example. He was passed over for some of his truly great performances, but ended up winning for "Scent Of A Woman" where he was good bur not great. COnsensue was the Denzel Washington was robbed that year by not winning for "Malcolm X'.

Martin Scorsese is another. "The Departed" is a good film, but not nearly as good as some of his films that were passed over "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellows" which now are pretty much concdede to be better films then the films that beat them.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

predictions:

Very "Spread the wealth" Oscars incoming if these hold.

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Very "Spread the wealth" Oscars incoming if these hold.

yeah just like last year where every best pic nominee won at least one award. not predicting that in my post but it's definitely a possibility just put in jojo for screenplay and irishman for vfx.

Grabbed my Joker blu-ray and thinking of going to pick up Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as well. Between these and FvF and 1917 when they come out I'm going to own a good chunk of the BP nominees this year, not to mention having The Irishman and Marriage Story readily available on Netflix.

Edited by JB33