filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

4 hours ago, RichWS said:

This might be the least surprising set of nominees in recent memory.

Phillips getting in isn't surprising but Joker leading in total noms is. No Song Kang-ho nom blows; I was really rooting for that.

I've been on the Hollywood winning Picture train for over a month but it feels like 1917 vs. Parasite at this point. Same for Director.

I think it's going to go down to who wins director.

Predictions:

Picture: Joker

Director: Boong

Actor: Joaquin

Actress: Renee

S Actor: Pitt

S Actress: Dern

O Screenplay: Parasite

A Screenplay: Little women

Foreign: Parasite

Animated: missing link

Documentary: AF

Cinematography: 1917

Costume: LW

Editing: Once upon

Make-up: Bombshell

Production: 1917

Sound: 1917

Sound Editing: 1917

Score: Joker

Song: rocketman

Visual Effects: 1917

I don't even know how I muster the force to repeat that again but

"superhero" movies gets award recognition & cinephiles/critics recognition/respect  as long as they are stripped down as much as possible of what makes them superhero movies.

They are minor exceptions for that argument but not a whole lot.

The Joker being the parody of that argument I ve made on BOT since i don't even remember when. 

There is a deep seeded disdain/distance/indifference for the supernatural in movies, even still today.

Look at the movie landscape in 2019, At least 2/3 of dom & WW box office is made of genre movies and look at the Oscars, always the same grounded, unimaginative stuff that gets lauded  that refuse the "what if"/Jules Vernes scenario.

Oh sure, plenty of superhero movies get good/great reviews but read the reviews, big, flattering words are never/rarely used in these reviews.

It is the "F" Word curse.

Le sigh ...

p.s : Spiderman Into the Spideyverse, Incredibles 1&2 are animation so they don't count and Black Panther well, the less said the better.

Edited by The Futurist

There is a "disdain for supernatural"  as Avatar racks up a Best Picture nom and Lord of the Rings wins Best Picture.  

You know what the problem is?  Most of the comic book movies were undeserving of being nominated for Best Picture. That's the problem. If they were deserving then they would breakthrough more often.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

I think it's going to go down to who wins director.

I don't really see 1917 as a potential best picture win, best case I see is that it will clear up the technical categories and win director ala Gravity from few years ago. (unless 1917 wins the PGA but I don't see that happening, hell Joker has a better shot than 1917 there, even with a preferential ballot).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chad DC said:

Predictions:

Picture: Joker

Director: Boong

Actor: Joaquin

Actress: Renee

S Actor: Pitt

S Actress: Dern

O Screenplay: Parasite

A Screenplay: Little women

Foreign: Parasite

Animated: missing link

Documentary: AF

Cinematography: 1917

Costume: LW

Editing: Once upon

Make-up: Bombshell

Production: 1917

Sound: 1917

Sound Editing: 1917

Score: Joker

Song: rocketman

Visual Effects: 1917

So Joker wins best picture with only score and Actor under its belt. Doubt it; it'll have to win a few more major/minor categories to get there. 

37 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So Joker wins best picture with only score and Actor under its belt. Doubt it; it'll have to win a few more major/minor categories to get there. 

Well 1917 is going to sweep the tech. categories. That only leaves a couple awards to spread amongst the BP noms, while also trying to get other films their awards (little women). I think its very possible.

Those articles are fine and the Oscars has a reputation as do many awards shows but if J-Lo is to be nominated then what happens..  someone else is left out..   so that person is Katy Bates.  

The more interesting question is was J-Lo better in Hustlers than Kathy Bates was in Richard Jewel.  I don't think it's a stretch to say Kathy Bates deserves her nomination.

4 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

There is a "disdain for supernatural"  as Avatar racks up a Best Picture nom and Lord of the Rings wins Best Picture.  

You know what the problem is?  Most of the comic book movies were undeserving of being nominated for Best Picture. That's the problem. If they were deserving then they would breakthrough more often.  

That’s certainly not the case with animation.

Edited by Melosh

15 minutes ago, Melosh said:

Maybe I’m ignorant, but I’m genuinely curious as to why or how “joker” is doing so well at award shows despite the not so positive reviews it received from a lot of reviewers.

The people who liked it really liked it, and that's enough for noms? More generally perhaps Academy voters of a certain age appreciated the movie's reverence for 70s cinema. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Melosh said:

Maybe I’m ignorant, but I’m genuinely curious as to why or how “joker” is doing so well at award shows despite the not so positive reviews it received from a lot of reviewers.

It got reviewed much better than Bohemian Rhapsody. And it's the populist phenomenon film with some 'artsy' credibility. There's always one. And this year's is at least better than most years'.

Weirdly, even though I find Joker overrated somewhat, it's nominations don't bother me as much as Irishman, OATIH and Marriage Story's multiple nominations do. It at least has been a genuine zeitgeist cultural phenomenon and as such it's hard to tell the narrative of the movie year without it.

Compare that to the other three, which - and this is not about the merit of the films themselves but the fact that they had the status as the presumed BIG NAME movies with big celeb actors OR directors who if they don't get nominated it is perceived as "an active snub" - frankly come across as reflex nominations in multiple categories way beyond any apparent merit (Marriage Story for best SCORE? What? ) as they rack up more nominations than Pulp Fiction while Uncut Gems, Knives Out, Booksmart, Midsommar, Lighthouse, POALOFire, Les Miserables, Pain and Glory, Farewell and so on that are just as good movies are out there fighting for scraps.

My eyes actually lit up when I misheared the Charlize Theron nomination and though they'd said for Long Shot rather than Bombshell. Which would, of course, have actually been more accurate.  That's a level of independent thinking though that we all know the Academy en masse is certainly not capable of.

• Like 1