filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

Awkwafina "snub" isn't all that surprising. Most of the cast in Farewell was better than her. She certainly has a presence though. That said, Lupita in Us was a bigger miss than Awkwafina. 

Hustlers was fun. Don't see the need to nominate it for much of anything though. Knives Out snubs were bigger than Hustlers snubs.

There are some very awkward nominees... Original Screenplay for 1917? Costume Design for Joker while Dolemite and other aren't even nominated? Marriage Story for Score? 

Rumor being Uncut Gems wasn't pushed too hard for awards... Not sure if there's any truth there. Maybe A24 pushed something else? But no Editing, Original Screenplay or Score nomination for that one is pretty nuts not to mention Sandler being ignored.

Midsommar for Cinematography seemed so obvious a nomination but nope.

Like always, Academy hands certain films 10+ nominations. Was it four this year with 10+ nominations? That's goofy and should rarely if ever happen. Nominations should be much more spread out. There are too many other films that excel in just Score, or the Sound categories, or Costuming, or Makeup, or VFX, etc. Movies that generally would not be in the running for Best Picture.

It's hard to create compelling narratives with nominations properly spread out to potentially honor a large number of films across categories. So... We get this. None of the films nominated for 10+ this year deserved any more than 6 or 7. And, that's generally the case everytime anything's nominated for that many awards.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, expensiveho said:

If anything, the Oscars prove each year that Hollywood is nowhere near as "progressive" as the media would want you to think. 

Of course there's always some made up controversy with the media fishing for clicks (and Film Twitter fishing for likes) but the industry (and audiences) ends up loving great films without caring about the politics. 

Well thats because hollywood can give their personal opinions when it comes to the oscars and keep it behind closed doors. Its only when they get up on stage they want you to believe they are progressive.

Ask someone from hollywood who deserves what awards and they will probably give an answer which includes diversity but ask them to vote in private and they will give their honest opinion. Theres limited pressure on them to satisfy the 'oscar so white' campaigns when theres a pool of 6000 people voting

33 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah this is the first year ever that four movies have got 10+ nominations. maybe it's to do with the earlier voting this year and voters... just watched less movies?

It's curious for sure...

1917 I can understand to an extent given what kind of movie it is... Still too many. Irishman? Joker? No way. Hollywood too but that one makes a little more sense I guess.

If it's due to earlier voting, maybe they should revise that. For a viewer like me, it far less interesting when 4 flicks get 10+ nominations. That's generally reversed for enormous, epic cinema like LotR, Titanic, Crouching Tiger, etc.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Noctis said:

Knives Out not being nominated for Best Picture? Weird.

Also...Lupita Nyong'o was robbed of an Oscar nomination. Her performance in Us was spectacular and above most of the nominees. 

Kathy damn Bates? Really? And Margot Robbie for Bombshell (she was good but nowhere near Oscar-worthy)? You could easily have had Jennifer Lopez and Ana De Armas in their spots. Hell, even Dern getting a nomination was borderline ridiculous. Shame.

Endgame getting only one nomination? Come on...

Lupita was unfortunate as US came out like a year ago. Its snub was no worse than when Toni Collette got ignored for Hereditary. I guess they just dont like horrors

On 1/13/2020 at 2:03 PM, CJohn said:

Scarlett needs to say more racist and tone deaf shit. Maybe next time she gets 3 noms instead of 2. Also, lmao at JLo missing for Scarlett.

Awkwafina was robbed because the Academy needed to nominate someone black and they went with Cynthia. 

Scar jo saying racist shit? That's a stretch

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The idea that joker's success has become a stick with which to beat libtards even though the bad guy in it is very obviously Trump continues to fascinate me. 

The joker is a movie used as a stick to beat stupid people with who by creating a fake controversy made the film far more successful then it would have ever become 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The idea that joker's success has become a stick with which to beat libtards even though the bad guy in it is very obviously Trump continues to fascinate me. 

In a way, just highlights the divide on the left. 

I think most film buffs that think it's slightly above the line to well below the line as a movie, just don't think it's much of a film regardless of its views, message, whatever.

People looking for things that aren't there, on either side, seem the most incensed.

23 hours ago, The Panda said:

These nominations are about as bad as last year’s nominations (which were already pretty bad!)

- Todd Phillips in Director, yet no room for Gerwig, Heller or Wang (ie shut out all of the female directors with critically acclaimed wide releases)
- Shutting out Awkwafina, Lupita N’yongo, Song Kang-ho, Jennifer Lopez, Shuzhen Zhao, Ana de Armas, Eddie Murphy (ie all of the Potential POC nominees with the exception of Erivo)

- No nominations for The Farewell

- 11 Nominations for that dumb clown movie

- Marriage Story getting in score when its score literally makes the movie worse

- 1917 and Joker in screenplay lol

Could go on, those are the big things that jump out at me.  The Parasite noms are cool though

Wow your opinion is so woke

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:44 AM, The Panda said:

These nominations are about as bad as last year’s nominations (which were already pretty bad!)

- Todd Phillips in Director, yet no room for Gerwig, Heller or Wang (ie shut out all of the female directors with critically acclaimed wide releases)
- Shutting out Awkwafina, Lupita N’yongo, Song Kang-ho, Jennifer Lopez, Shuzhen Zhao, Ana de Armas, Eddie Murphy (ie all of the Potential POC nominees with the exception of Erivo)

- No nominations for The Farewell

- 11 Nominations for that dumb clown movie

- Marriage Story getting in score when its score literally makes the movie worse

- 1917 and Joker in screenplay lol

Could go on, those are the big things that jump out at me.  The Parasite noms are cool though

As a minority myself, i am sick of tired of people like yourself viewing the world through only race and sex. 

In the real world outside of Twitter, Joker was well liked by females and People of Colour

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Thanks 4

Also... It's not like serious comic book/graphic novel stuff hasn't been recognized with nominations or critical acclaim before... It's new to people here because it's Joker and everyone knows Joker. Pretty sure Road To Perdition and History Of Violence scored nominations. Not sure Ghost World did but people generally loved it. Not sure American Splendor did but people generally loved it too. If you take a comic book serious in the ways the Academy is more comfortable with... Prestige and nominations come.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. I mean, if From Hell wasn't such a misfire, it would've scored nominations too. 

Probably personally rather see Jennifer Kent nominated than any other of these females bring pushed, especially Heller. Her flick was average, Oscar bait to the nines.

Not getting the Awkwafina love fest... She's good. But, it feels like a comedian does drama elevates that performance for many. Like a lot of stuff about Farewell a lot more than her... Lulu Wang is what elevates that one with her story and filmmaking.

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

As a minority myself, i am sick of tired of people like yourself viewing the world through only race and sex. 

In the real world outside of Twitter, Joker was well liked by females and People of Colour

But how else will people like Panda impress women?

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, Melosh said:

Maybe I’m ignorant, but I’m genuinely curious as to why or how “joker” is doing so well at award shows despite the not so positive reviews it received from a lot of reviewers.

Critics help to pave the way for those great movies whereas Oscar have ultimate decision whether to take critics' view.

Like how they put Parasite in the spotlight, and Oscar voters concurred/endorsed their selection.

there are sometime , critics choice got overridden by oscar. that is just the way it is, Oscar do NOT need to listen to critics, critics is there to present the case, and Oscar members choose to follow them or not. 

In Joker case,  academy members just ask critics to shut the fuck up (actually only section of them)

• Like 1