Jump to content
filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

 

 

As a minority myself, i am sick of tired of people like yourself viewing the world through only race and sex. 

 

In the real world outside of Twitter, Joker was well liked by females and People of Colour

 

 

I can’t speak for anyone else but Joker was easily my wife’s favourite movie of the year. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I can’t speak for anyone else but Joker was easily my wife’s favourite movie of the year. 

My girlfriend and I actually disliked Joker and almost walked out. Personally i thought it was one of those average movies with such a good ending (though predictable) that people left believing they had seen a masterpiece. 

 

Judging by social media though we know just how out of touch we were with everyone else. Joker is considered the greatest movie of the year to most people out there it seems

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ninenin said:

My girlfriend and I actually disliked Joker and almost walked out. Personally i thought it was one of those average movies with such a good ending (though predictable) that people left believing they had seen a masterpiece. 

 

Judging by social media though we know just how out of touch we were with everyone else. Joker is considered the greatest movie of the year to most people out there it seems

Plenty of people didn’t like Joker, just use these forums as an example. That’s the beauty of all of this, we all have our own opinions on what we like/love or don’t. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Joker did 1B+ at the box-office, in part thanks to great world of mouth, it won Golden Lion at Venise, 11 Oscars nominations including Picture, director, and screenplay... It's only divisive in a small woke, sect-like chamber of the internet. Never overestimate the number of these people, including among the voting members of the academy

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I honestly am at a loss at how Margot got nominated for BSA. It's unbelievable.

FROM THE STUDIO THAT BROUGHT YOU THE ACADEMY AWARD WINNING SUICIDE SQUAD

STARRING MULTIPLE ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE MARGOT ROBBIE

 

BIRDS OF PREY

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I honestly am at a loss at how Margot got nominated for BSA. It's unbelievable.

Is it really that hard to explain, though? She had a really good year between Bombshell and OUAT...IH and had a much better acting showcase in the former considering she had more screen time in it and the role was more challenging (the interview with Lithgow's Ailes alone was one of the more bone-chilling scenes of any movie this year - I bet the scene after it where she tries to tell Kate McKinnon what happened will be her clip). Besides, the industry clearly loves her after coming close to being nominated last year for the complete nonevent that was Mary Queen of Scots. Don't think it's much of a stretch to say she'll likely win in an Oscar within the next five years at the rate she's going.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is it really that hard to explain, though? She had a really good year between Bombshell and OUAT...IH and had a much better acting showcase in the former considering she had more screen time in it and the role was more challenging (the interview with Lithgow's Ailes alone was one of the more bone-chilling scenes of any movie this year - I bet the scene after it where she tries to tell Kate McKinnon what happened will be her clip). Besides, the industry clearly loves her after coming close to being nominated last year for the complete nonevent that was Mary Queen of Scots. Don't think it's much of a stretch to say she'll likely win in an Oscar within the next five years at the rate she's going.

I like Robbie a lot, though I though her role in OUATIH did not amount to much.

Still think she should have won for "I,Tonya".

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Europe is my playground said:

Joker did 1B+ at the box-office, in part thanks to great world of mouth, it won Golden Lion at Venise, 11 Oscars nominations including Picture, director, and screenplay... It's only divisive in a small woke, sect-like chamber of the internet. Never overestimate the number of these people, including among the voting members of the academy

It depends what you mean by 'divisive'.

 

If by 'divisive' you mean 'controversial': That's an extremely tiny minority of idiots on the internet making the movie out to be far more interesting than it is, albeit on the back of Todd Phillips saying some dumb nonsense and obfuscating the purpose of his own film in interviews that in hindsight turned out well for him

 

If by 'divisive' you mean 'finds it somewhat overrated, rests entirely on one tour de force performance, and certainly has no business being nominated for awards like costume design, sound editing and hair and makeup.....then I don't see what's woke or sect like about that. Just seems a pretty ordinary opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It depends what you mean by 'divisive'.

 

If by 'divisive' you mean 'controversial': That's an extremely tiny minority of idiots on the internet making the movie out to be far more interesting than it is, albeit on the back of Todd Phillips saying some dumb nonsense and obfuscating the purpose of his own film in interviews that in hindsight turned out well for him

 

If by 'divisive' you mean 'finds it somewhat overrated, rests entirely on one tour de force performance, and certainly has no business being nominated for awards like costume design, sound editing and hair and makeup.....then I don't see what's woke or sect like about that. Just seems a pretty ordinary opinion.

I have no knowledge of Todd Phillips saying dumb nonsense, what are you talking about ?

And by divisive I indeed meant "controversial" (the idea that the film would incite mayhem and the fake outrage about it being  was an alt-right manifesto or whatever the click-bait obsessed woke brigade blamed the film for).

General audiences liked it (the insane legs, 8,6 on Imdb...), and clearly members of the Academy liked it too.

I personally am not a super-fan of the film, I find it ultimately a bit shallow and too derivative, although Phoenix perf makes you forget that at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Europe is my playground said:

I have no knowledge of Todd Phillips saying dumb nonsense, what are you talking about ?

And by divisive I indeed meant "controversial" (the idea that the film would incite mayhem and the fake outrage about it being  was an alt-right manifesto or whatever the click-bait obsessed woke brigade blamed the film for).

General audiences liked it (the insane legs, 8,6 on Imdb...), and clearly members of the Academy liked it too.

I personally am not a super-fan of the film, I find it ultimately a bit shallow and too derivative, although Phoenix perf makes you forget that at times.

I suppose I mean a combination of Phillips refusing to engage in much discussion about the film, when he has made a movie that is clearly intended for discourse. His comments about wokeness in comedy as well come across as remarkably trite coming from the guy whose last two contributions to the genre were The Hangovers 2 and 3 - if it came from someone like Chris Morris, David Chappelle or Armando Iannucci fine, but not from someone who has made a fortune from bland broad fare. Just came across as chatter bait, and indeed as chatter bait it worked.

 

WAS there genuinely a real argument that the film would incite mayhem? I keep seeing this accusation but, maybe becasue Im not paying enough attention, I never actually saw anybody claim this outside of literally a couple of attention seekers on twitter. It again seemed all more like an atgempt to contrive controversy rather than actually have it - if anything I think Joker would have benefitted from a bit more boldness, bravery and statement from Phillips,  not less.

 

For the record I think its good not great. I'd put it 5th out of the 8 nominees Ive seen (Parasite doesnt open in UK yet) above Irishman, OATIH and Marriage Story. Lots of promise from Phillips and an incredible central performance and score alongside indisputed public appeal, but many flaws and somewhat patchy for sure.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I suppose I mean a combination of Phillips refusing to engage in much discussion about the film, when he has made a movie that is clearly intended for discourse. His comments about wokeness in comedy as well come across as remarkably trite coming from the guy whose last two contributions to the genre were The Hangovers 2 and 3 - if it came from someone like Chris Morris, David Chappelle or Armando Iannucci fine, but not from someone who has made a fortune from bland broad fare. Just came across as chatter bait, and indeed as chatter bait it worked.

 

WAS there genuinely a real argument that the film would incite mayhem? I keep seeing this accusation but, maybe becasue Im not paying enough attention, I never actually saw anybody claim this outside of literally a couple of attention seekers on twitter. It again seemed all more like an atgempt to contrive controversy rather than actually have it - if anything I think Joker would have benefitted from a bit more boldness, bravery and statement from Phillips,  not less.

 

For the record I think its good not great. I'd put it 5th out of the 8 nominees Ive seen (Parasite doesnt open in UK yet) above Irishman, OATIH and Marriage Story. Lots of promise from Phillips and an incredible central performance and score alongside indisputed public appeal, but many flaws and somewhat patchy for sure.

I agree with Phillips about the disastrous effect of wokeness on comedy, and have no reason to doubt his sincerity, whatever the quality of his previous films.

About the "potential danger" narrative of the film, this article sums it up pretty well. https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/18/20860890/joker-movie-controversy-incel-sjw

Then type Joker+Security concerns on Google to see that this internet/media narrative also had consequences in the real world, which was widely reported...

For the record, I think Irishman and OATIH are WAY better than Joker (and Parasite also) but I'd agree with you on that: if anything I think Joker would have benefitted from a bit more boldness, bravery and statement from Phillips,  not less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

WAS there genuinely a real argument that the film would incite mayhem? I keep seeing this accusation but, maybe becasue Im not paying enough attention, I never actually saw anybody claim this outside of literally a couple of attention seekers on twitter. It again seemed all more like an atgempt to contrive controversy rather than actually have it - if anything I think Joker would have benefitted from a bit more boldness, bravery and statement from Phillips,  not less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/10/03/police-theaters-brace-violence-warner-bros-joker-opens-controversy/

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-05/joker-opens-heavy-police-presence-theaters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-film-joker-opening/security-stepped-up-as-joker-opens-in-u-s-movie-theaters-idUSKBN1WI2I4

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1183403/joker-movie-release-date-incel-terror-plot-aurora-2012-batman-shooting-spt

https://www.thewrap.com/us-army-base-issues-warning-over-potential-shooting-threat-related-to-joker/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Europe is my playground said:

I agree with Phillips about the disastrous effect of wokeness on comedy, and have no reason to doubt his sincerity, whatever the quality of his previous films.

About the "potential danger" narrative of the film, this article sums it up pretty well. https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/9/18/20860890/joker-movie-controversy-incel-sjw

Then type Joker+Security concerns on Google to see that this internet/media narrative also had consequences in the real world, which was widely reported...

For the record, I think Irishman and OATIH are WAY better than Joker (and Parasite also) but I'd agree with you on that: if anything I think Joker would have benefitted from a bit more boldness, bravery and statement from Phillips,  not less.

Thanks for the links and such.

 

What Id note (and this is more  wider point than specifically refuting what you said) when it came down to the actual first hand evidence, the people writing on social media have the right to say what they said...and also they arent actually talking about the movie promoting violence- perhaps in a general societal way but not in terms of actually inciting mayhem - its very much the narrative made by the article itself and the trades that seem to be deliberately hyping and overhyping any potential "threat"  or perception of threat which of course means that everyone, from moviemaker to critic to regular guy or gal on twitter is being all simultaneoulsy misrepresented in the name of sensationalism. 

 

I dont think Ive ever seen a more 'normal' movie be accused of being controversial.

 

With the comedy, I dont know....I mean The Day Shall Come came out last year with some major names in and ticks pretty much anti-woke box one can come up with. I dont see it....all I see is maybe some people arent getting big budgets for comedies any more because they're perceived as more of a risk unless they come across as appealing to everyone simultaneously, which is less wokeness and more standard studio small-c conservativism/anti risk tendencies. Whenever I see someone say "you  cant...x...these days" it seems theres always someone already out there doing it. Jerry Sadowitz, Brendan Burns, Jim Jeffreys,  Roy Chubby Brown (sorry for Uk centric references) theyre all out there just as they always have been. 

 

I probably need to watch Hollywood again.  Im just so fed up with films about Hollywood/filmmaking/LA and that Ive put a mental line in the sand about it. It impacted the enjoyment of Marriage Story for me as well.

 

Irishman was beautifully made but it gave me nothing to relate to,  as someone who didnt see myself anywhere in the film there was nothing that made me care on any level - contrasted with Ford v Ferrari where I have even less in common with the characters but which had me absolutely invested in every last person in the film.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Thanks for the links and such.

 

What Id note (and this is more  wider point than specifically refuting what you said) when it came down to the actual first hand evidence, the people writing on social media have the right to say what they said...and also they arent actually talking about the movie promoting violence- perhaps in a general societal way but not in terms of actually inciting mayhem - its very much the narrative made by the article itself and the trades that seem to be deliberately hyping and overhyping any potential "threat"  or perception of threat which of course means that everyone, from moviemaker to critic to regular guy or gal on twitter is being all simultaneoulsy misrepresented in the name of sensationalism. 

 

I dont think Ive ever seen a more 'normal' movie be accused of being controversial.

 

With the comedy, I dont know....I mean The Day Shall Come came out last year with some major names in and ticks pretty much anti-woke box one can come up with. I dont see it....all I see is maybe some people arent getting big budgets for comedies any more because they're perceived as more of a risk unless they come across as appealing to everyone simultaneously, which is less wokeness and more standard studio small-c conservativism/anti risk tendencies. Whenever I see someone say "you  cant...x...these days" it seems theres always someone already out there doing it. Jerry Sadowitz, Brendan Burns, Jim Jeffreys,  Roy Chubby Brown (sorry for Uk centric references) theyre all out there just as they always have been. 

 

I probably need to watch Hollywood again.  Im just so fed up with films about Hollywood/filmmaking/LA and that Ive put a mental line in the sand about it. It impacted the enjoyment of Marriage Story for me as well.

 

Irishman was beautifully made but it gave me nothing to relate to,  as someone who didnt see myself anywhere in the film there was nothing that made me care on any level - contrasted with Ford v Ferrari where I have even less in common with the characters but which had me absolutely invested in every last person in the film.

Haven't seen Ford vs Ferrari, because I don't care about cars and I'm perhaps unfairly (I haven't seen all his movies) biased against James Mangold, my bad, you're not the first person to tell me it's really good.

And I also have nothing in common with irishmen, italian mafia or union bosses in 20th century United states (😉) but i can't get off my mind the ominous gleam in Joe Pesci's eyes when he stares at Anna Paquin, among other things I truly enjoyed in the movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cap said:

 

Problem is what can the Acadmey do? They already expanded the membership to be more inclusive.and think some kind of quota system would be ahuge mistake, as well as damn near impossible to implement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.