filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

An editing nom on the other hand is pretty important for a Best Picture win and not getting a nom there decreases OUATIH's chances of winning BP.

yeah but i've been saying parasite's gonna win and these nominations haven't changed my mind. an acting nom would've been nice but it got the sag thing so it's not like the actor's branch are against it. 1917 is probably the biggest threat against it. mendes probably wins director.

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not really much of a surprise. Taika getting a DGA nom pretty much removed him from the conversation and the Gerwig backlash started too late.

Gerwig backlash didn't help her case because it was obvious that #Oscarssomale was not really about women but Gerwig specifically and neither DGA (who nominated plenty of women in First Feature) nor AMPAS wanted to play. Esepcially since they clearly thought other movies were better and Ladybird was better received than LW anyway. This is the year where they gave outrage mob the finger twice - Joker slayage and all male Director line up with both DGA and Branch. 

12 minutes ago, Morieris said:

The same thing could have been done with nominating Lupita, or Awkwafina in place of one of Scarlett's noms but yeah we shall see.

Marriage Story was always Scarlett's stronger prospect though.

Little Women did very well save Gerwig, but I was skeptical that the "you have to nominate her, because women" tone of the push was going to work with her again, I don't think the same person gets to play that card more than once.

Sucks for JLo, loved her in the movie but I can never be too bothered when category fraud fails. You're Jennifer Lopez, go hard or go home!

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

Scarlett needs to say more racist and tone deaf shit. Maybe next time she gets 3 noms instead of 2. Also, lmao at JLo missing for Scarlett.

Awkwafina was robbed because the Academy needed to nominate someone black and they went with Cynthia. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Ok, biggest surprise for me is no OUATIH for Editing. Hurts it quite a bit imo. 

1917 could be the frontrunner for Best Picture now with that screenplay nom.

if Hollywood loses the PGA to the Irishman next week, then it's back to Parasite v Irishman. 

1917 got that screenplay nom but no acting so it can get director, I don't think it'll win best picture

Lupita and Awkwafina should have been nominated in place of Erivo and Ronan. Sorry Ronan fans but how many times she's going to be nominated for a period piece wide eyed emancipated girl who wants to break away from suffocating society? I love her but c'mon this is her comfort zone now. Lupita's dual role certianly wasn't anyone's comfort zone and Awkwafina surprised everyone who thought she was just a quirky actress-singer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Scarlett needs to say more racist and tone deaf shit. Maybe next time she gets 3 noms instead of 2. Also, lmao at JLo missing for Scarlett.

Awkwafina was robbed because the Academy needed to nominate someone black and they went with Cynthia. 

Awkwafina was robbed because Parasite stole The Farewell's thunder and they were not going to rally behind 2 Asian movies but only one. Parasite prevailed. Erivo got nominated because of the importance of her role even though her reviews were way below Lupita's and Awkwafina's. I'll never forgive them Lupita snub. 

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Fairly solid line-up.

I would probably drop Joker from editing (for Knives Out or Uncut) and directing (for Gerwig or Safdie's or Baumbach), Johansson from supporting, Charlize from lead (get Akwafina and/or Lupita in there). Overall it felt like the Farewell got forgotten. 

I think I would liked Egerton over Pryce for Lead but then I would have also liked to see Sandler in there, so tough category. Good to see Banderas in there though. 

I lost My Body is a great nomination for animated, good to see it recognised.

Lighthouse Cinematography nod is also cool to see.

Parasite love is also there which is nice.

Original Screenplay is probably the strongest category for me. 

Edited by FilmFincher

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only snub I find to be a real bummer is Taron after how charming he's been throughout Rocketman's press tour through awards season, plus he was actually really good in his movie (much better than, uh, last year's Best Actor winner).

Also The Farewell getting nothing at all stinks, but can't say I'm too surprised.

Rami Malek was an anchor he couldn't shake off in the end.

Rocketman probably needed to wait a year or so. Could have had better box office and more awards.

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

She probably missed to Kathy Bates tbh. Who by the way filled the void of this year's WTF nominee (despite being nominated for the Globes and winning at NBR). She's fine in that movie but the role itself is almost a parody of Oscar bait roles given how little she has to do besides express frustration and cry lol.

Edited by filmlover

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The fact that he got in over Taika, Baumbach and Greta, regardless of precursors - given the potential backlash - IS a huge surprise.

Banderas showing here, given his precursors, is also a big surprise.

Also no editing for OUATIH is a surprise - first real sign of weakness. Was thinking OUATIH/Mendes split, but after this... Parasite might just grab the BP.

Jojo Rabbit is terrible, good that Taika didn’t get in

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

She should lean into more "women of color" roles. All colors such as blue, Green, red and so on.

• Haha 2