filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The farewell  complete snub just further prove my point.

No way academy is going to acknowledge two Asian theme film in a year, no matter how different they are.   

Unlike last year both Roma and Cold war was overperformed, this year the movies about American white people just got too strong.

Even parasite is performing at the expected level  

With all due respect, and I don't mean to sound offensive or anything. But it's pretty unusual for two foreign-language films to be nominated in major categories. Wouldn't say either would be "snubbed" if they do not get nominated.

I think the only nom Joker actually deserves is cinematography and makeup but this is still a win situation for me because what I predicted since October ended up being right. Joker = 2019's Bohemian Rhapsody.

edit: Score and actor for Phoenix maybe

Edited by lorddemaxus

Just now, filmlover said:

The Best Original Song category this year might give us a potential line-up of performances from Erivo, Taron + Elton, Idina Menzel, Chrissy Metz, and Randy Newman. Not bad if it pans out.

No Jessie Buckley in there though. The least I wanted was a live performance from her during the Oscars.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Bohemian Rhapsody and Extremely Close and Incredibly Loud beat it first. They both got below 50

Bohemian had 5 nominations.

Incredibly Loud had 2.

We ve never seen such a gap between an MC score and the awards season the joker is getting.

4 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think the only nom Joker actually deserves is cinematography and makeup but this is still a win situation for me because what I predicted since October ended up being right. Joker = 2019's Bohemian Rhapsody.

Joaquin's a beast, come on. Certainly better than Pryce lmao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Joaquin's a beast, come on. Certainly better than Pryce lmao

I don't know. It's a maybe. I recently rewatched the talk show scene and he's hilarious in it (in a bad way). If the whole movie is like that upon rewatch then it's a no from me. For me, the ideal list would be: Banderas, Driver, De Niro, Pitt (for Ad Astra), and Sandler.

I just remembered though. It does deserve a Score nom too.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • ...wtf 1

Out of 9 nom, except for 1917 and LW, I've seen the all the rest.

I don't like OUATIH and marriage story. I will rank them at #8 and #9 if i were a voter.

In the case of OUATIH it is very sad since I have always been big QT fans but I just don't click well with the film. Interestingly now the film is the frontrunner ,

These nominations are about as bad as last year’s nominations (which were already pretty bad!)

- Todd Phillips in Director, yet no room for Gerwig, Heller or Wang (ie shut out all of the female directors with critically acclaimed wide releases)
- Shutting out Awkwafina, Lupita N’yongo, Song Kang-ho, Jennifer Lopez, Shuzhen Zhao, Ana de Armas, Eddie Murphy (ie all of the Potential POC nominees with the exception of Erivo)

- No nominations for The Farewell

- 11 Nominations for that dumb clown movie

- Marriage Story getting in score when its score literally makes the movie worse

- 1917 and Joker in screenplay lol

Could go on, those are the big things that jump out at me.  The Parasite noms are cool though

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Told you back in September before any screening that Joker was gonna be a game changer.

Todd Phillips refuses to sell toys, he prefers Art and saving cinema.

Different life priorities.

He s the savior we need.

All hail the Todd.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 2

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

- Todd Phillips in Director, yet no room for Gerwig, Heller or Wang

Haven't seen Little Women yet so can't comment on it but Heller should've been a nominee. She made what seems like a pretty generic script with a bland story an incredibly meditiative experience. Hard to find a director who can do something like that.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

Haters said Joker will encourage gun violence,  > no incident so far

Haters said Joker will flop because of its non-conventional style >  Joker opened to US243m

Haters said Joker will have bad legs  >  it got more than 4x legs all the way to 1b

Haters said joker will not be doing good at award season > Venice win, Oscar 11 nomination. 

I have never seen such a complete failure from haters since.........

They almost achieved none.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Haven't seen Little Women yet so can't comment on it but Heller should've been a nominee. She made what seems like a pretty generic script with a bland story an incredibly meditiative experience. Hard to see a director do something like that.

Heller was really good and would be a worthy pick, she isn’t necessarily in my top 5 (mine are Gerwig, Bong, Wang, Aster and Ha’rel) but she’s right outside of it.

It’s almost like the academy is trying to get controversy

• Like 1