Eric Duncan

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Frozen theatre dropped. I don't think they even advertised sing along version. 

Disney marketing is becoming very weak lately. 

Except Captain Marvel, Avengers Endgame and Lion king marketing was very weak. 

Disney needs to up its marketing game. Someone told me last night that they've seen the new Star Wars film. I was like, what? I didn't know there was a new Star Wars film.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 3

23 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Disney needs to up its marketing game. Someone told me last night that they've seen the new Star Wars film. I was like, what? I didn't know there was a new Star Wars film.

What do you mean marketing. Frozen ii is been out for nearly two months. It’s songs are online which is the best marketing it could have. And TROS was everywhere. They went all out on that one 

Edited by John Marston

Good for that movie. 2019 had several big hitters and still disappointed. 2020 has A couple maybe chances at 450 and then nothing. Suffice to say for me makes me think at least a 5 if not 7-8% drop. Bad boys is awesome. Can't wait to see the sequel. Unabashedly a huge Will Smith fan too. Honestly I kinda hope studios start being smarter with Money like Shazam and BOP. That will help a lot 

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

glad Bruckheimer has a hit. Hope Top Gun 2 follows suit. Also hope National Treasure 3 and Pirates 6 get made

There should never be another Pirates movie that Gore Verbenski's isn't attached to. He's the reason that first three movies were so good.

20 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

There should never be another Pirates movie that Gore Verbenski's isn't attached to. He's the reason that first three movies were so good.

Yeah I’d like for him to return. Still they would probably have to keep him on a leash 

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

First 3 pirate movies are amazing. 

At World's End is one of the craziest movie. Love it. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

His star power is summed up in 2 words: Tony Stark. and 2 more: Iron Man. That's basically star power today. Your franchise character. Means people won't follow you around if you don't play your franchise character. 

The only real star powers now are relics of the past eras such as Leo. Hollywood thought JLaw would be the new star power but that fizzled with the end of Hunger Games proving once again that franchise is everything. 

There are added values, though, actors who cannot open alone but power up as a group. Knives Out, for example. 

Sandra Bullock

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

That's because the franchise is irrelevant these days, not because it didn't have a huge marketing behind it. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

What a draw RDJ is!

His movie is only going to lose $100m+, instead of the $120m+ that a B-list actor would lose, considering that the budget would've been far lower without a single person getting $20m from it. 

Love RDJ but pre-Iron Man/MCU I wouldn't really call him a "Huge" Draw per say, it not like he was setting the box office on fire like that.   People sometimes assume Franchise success translates over to the next movie (IE: People loved him as Iron Man they'll love him as Dr. Dolittle) and history shows that's not the case.  The movie still has to be good.  "Dolittle" probably wasn't the best choice post "Endgame" but it's not the end of the world. It's that 175 M budget that gonna hold it back.  I think RDJ can bounce back with a "Sherlock" Sequel, he needs to get on the phone with Guy Ritchie.     

• Like 1

Imagine calling the only actors/actresses who consistently put butts into theaters regardless of the movie “relics.” 

They’re the true movie stars of Hollywood who don’t need gimmicks or franchises to get people to watch their movies. 

• Like 2

Little Women is down 25% from last Friday but will drop 56% over the weekend? Deadline been drinking again.

1917's drop doesn't seem bad considering last weekend was its big opening weekend. 

I thought Just Mercy would hold a bit better but I guess Bad Boys exploding to the surprise of everyone hurt it a bit.

Havent we been through this "who's a draw" thing a hundred times here in the last five years?  I'm pretty shocked that anyone would give Downey Jr. 20 mill plus points on a film myself.  I think it's just stupidity and it's irresponsible.  All of us novice movie executives here could told them that people love him as IM/Stark and not really much else outside of  that.  I guess they thought the idea of talking animals plus RDJ would be a license to print money.  They were wrong.  

I'm seeing some of the other sites on twitter calling Will Smith and his legion of fans as the reason why BB3 is doing so well.  Aladdin was Disney, not Smith and the brand recognition.  A true test of his star power was Gemini Man and it tanked.  I'm just as surprised as the next person to see BB3 do this well.  I figured it more for a 40 mill opening and perhaps a 100 mill finish.  This looks like it will do 70 for the 4 day weekend and make a run for 160 mill  And good to see, but this doesn't mean the next non franchise film Will is in is going to set the box office on fire.

Getting back to the draw thing, as has been mentioned a plethora of times before, outside of Leo and The Rock, there really isn't one person who can get butts into the theatre anymore, not just on name alone.  You can probably add Sandra Bullock to that list but to be fair, she doesn't really put out many movies anymore, so hard to judge her clout.  But to also be fair, every major film she has been in  since The Heat, has done huge business.  I guess there are other actors who have their own following, like Tyler Perry and his Madea films and Kevin Hart. I guess we should add Hart as most of his comedies do well.  There's a few others that will get people to go to the movies, but not on a massive scale.....anyway, like I said before, we've dissected this subject many times before,

Frozen is winding down because everyone has seen it that is going to.  

St Wars looks like it will get to 510-515 million and maybe it will get close to 1.1 billion.  Not great by any stretch but it will be funny refer to this as the first disappointing billion dollar grossing movie. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1