Eric Atreides

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

Hot Damn at Bad Boys. $70M 4 Day?! Would’ve thunk?

Just now, filmlover said:

This also feels like good news for upcoming decades later sequels like this summer's Top Gun 2 and next year's Matrix 4.

yeah I’m more optimistic oh the former now.

2 minutes ago, stripe said:

LOL

40M+ 4day is more than locked at this point. 60M likely, and watch out with WOM spreading

going very conservative, 6.4 + 12 + 12 (+0%) + 8.5 (-29%) + 6.1 (-28%) = 45

so even by GP standards being cautious about 50+ makes more sense than 40+ over the 4-day weekend.

Bad Boys 2 in particular is loved by guys who were teenagers in 2003. Basically that 30-45 years old demograph of 2020 were primed for this new movie. Once reviews hit - boom. 

Top Gun - skews a little older in terms on nostalgia, but even the generation above who didn’t grow up with it know it backwards. 

Bruckheimer is back!!!

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

That's not HORRIBLE for Dolittle since it'll probably play well enough to families to get to a 20m weekend, but agaisnt a 175m budget, Universal will still be seeing red.

So in other words... it's pretty horrible. :jeb!:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This also feels like good news for upcoming decades later sequels like this summer's Top Gun 2 and next year's Matrix 4.

I dont know about Top Gun, it doesn't have much nostalgia with millennials as it's an 80s film. Bad Boys and The Matrix were both 90s films. 

• Like 2

Just now, babz06 said:

I dont know about Top Gun, it doesn't have much nostalgia with millennials as it's an 80s film. Bad Boys and The Matrix were both 90s films. 

And both sequels were in the Noughties as well. 

I think as tempting as it would be to do a fourth Bad Boys film, Sony should let it end on a high. 

I'm probably showing my age here, as somebody who wasn't even born when the first Bad Boys dropped, but I honestly thought this was coming out too late and people didn't care all that much about the property anymore. So seeing it open to potentially 60M+ for the long weekend is kind of astonishing to me.

Nostalgia really is a helluva of a drug, huh? Guess this also bodes well for Top Gun and even Ghostbusters this summer.

• Like 2

Just now, Eric Dolittle said:

I'm probably showing my age here, as somebody who wasn't even born when the first Bad Boys dropped, but I honestly thought this was coming out too late and people didn't care all that much about the property anymore. So seeing it open to potentially 60M+ for the long weekend is kind of astonishing to me.

Nostalgia really is a helluva of a drug, huh? Guess this also bodes well for Top Gun and even Ghostbusters this summer.

Ghostbusters is a bit dicier simply because there was a film only four years ago.

I think while it's not a sequel, Scoob! could be a surprise breakout for WB.