Eric Atreides

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's a major snowstorm in a lot of Canada.  Here in the GTA (Greater Toronto area) we are getting 20cm of snow.  The eastern provinces are snowed in.  I can only assume the north east US must be getting some of this too.

I wonder if this will subdue some of the Saturday increases.  

Canada (at least BC from what I know... everywhere except Victoria) has been hit pretty bad since Thursday. Our snow cleared up Wednesday night for the most part. 

• Like 1

At least it's snowing in the north...most of you see 10-20 inches of snow and figure...okay, I'll stay in a few hours and wait for the plow, and then I'm outta here:)...

Down south, they see 1/2 inch of snow and figure...okay, I'll stay in UNTIL IT MELTS:)...2 inches and you have a 3 day city standstill:)...

• Haha 8

17 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

At least it's snowing in the north...most of you see 10-20 inches of snow and figure...okay, I'll stay in a few hours and wait for the plow, and then I'm outta here:)...

Down south, they see 1/2 inch of snow and figure...okay, I'll stay in UNTIL IT MELTS:)...2 inches and you have a 3 day city standstill:)...

IN Vancouver (my cousin lives there) they got walloped with snow and then hardly ever get snow.  They don't even have enough ploughs to keep things moving.  So that city doesn't know what to do with themselves right now,

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

While I agree and disagree with some of both @Arendelle Legion and Avatree, does it strike anyone else as rather ironic that Avatree dares to compare behavior of others with reddit??? 😂😂😂 

The behavior of Frozen the last 3 weekends alone show the difference in phenomena behavior such as F1 and just good to great coming out of the holidays. Same with Jumanji which is again not doing the same as the phenomenal run its predecessor had. 🤷‍♂️ the fact that it was 2.5 pages of back and forth shows more interesting behavior on our part than the movie itself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, baumer said:

Sorry to highjack this thread with my own agenda, but as some of you know I am a massive horror fan.  I also write for a website called Top10films.  I worked a long time on doing the top ten horror films of the decade. I'd love it if some of you read it.  My opinions are usually much different than most people when it comes to horror.  No Hereditary or Conjuring etc on my top ten.  

https://www.top10films.co.uk/57174-top-10-horror-films-of-the-2010s/#comment-2044217

thats a terrible list, no shade.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 9

6 hours ago, Avatree said:

sorry for the repeat posts but can I just say, this whole conversation is dumb.

Frozen 2 didn't have a "good" run. It didn't have a "really good" run.

It had a PERFECT run. I literally cannot see a situation where it would have grossed more than it has done.

nah. a year ago i created a club with frozen2 over 1,5b and most people were in

Edited by aladdino
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, aladdino said:

thats a terrible list, no shade.

If that’s your opinion, fine. Then no Tea, no shade, this comment is super rude. It takes a lot of work to do one of these countdowns (I know, mine did not go as plan, is still not going as planned).  You can disagree with a placement or a snub all you want, but a blanket Lol this is terrible, is really inconsiderate. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Absolute nonsense. It was great, maybe great+. Getting sick of the presumption or insinuation that I don’t realize that. But in the three biggest OS markets reception had room to be better, and it shows when following weekly drops. Those 3 markets could be near 100M right there with a 2% higher egg, .2 higher Maoyan, .2 higher Eiga, none of which would be crazy for an animation sequel. DOM the reception metrics are also good-but-not-great, dunno about reaching say RO but passing BatB/TROS would have been likely with a couple % better.     

You can appreciate a 90th percentile outcome without trying to contort it into a 99th percentile one and spouting nonsense in the process.

90th percentile isn't even sniffing average. I'm happy to admit it's not absolute best case scenario. Literally almost no movie ever reaches the 99% threshold. Probably a couple in my entire lifetime.

To illustrate my point people say the next level is having a good run that hopes to get near 300m, 105 million under domestically of the original.

Contrast that with Frozen2, which will end up 75 million above. Can we see how ridiculous that is to lump both as good?

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Dolittle not completely flopping like all the signs were pointing to definitely feels like a testament to the goodwill RDJ has (for now, at least). Hopefully the movie's poor reception and the fact it's gonna be a huge money-loser that won't be getting a sequel will indicate to him to pick his projects more carefully going forward instead of only accepting everything that promises him the big paychecks until no one cares anymore.

I think RDJ needs to do a smaller film after he does Sherlock 3, perhaps Rian Johnson could persuade him to be in the Knives Out sequel or perhaps he should reteam with Todd Phillips for a film. 

4 hours ago, baumer said:

IN Vancouver (my cousin lives there) they got walloped with snow and then hardly ever get snow.  They don't even have enough ploughs to keep things moving.  So that city doesn't know what to do with themselves right now,

Victoria's the exact same way (all of southern coastal BC pretty much). You get an inch of snow and the city panics. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nova said:

Speaking of box office draws from several pages ago, I’m rewatching The Proposal and I wish Sandra Bullock was doing more movies.

Also Betty White is a national treasure. 

I made a post on my Instagram story yesterday wishing her a happy 98th birthday. 

• Astonished 1

50 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

90th percentile isn't even sniffing average. I'm happy to admit it's not absolute best case scenario. Literally almost no movie ever reaches the 99% threshold. Probably a couple in my entire lifetime.

To illustrate my point people say the next level is having a good run that hopes to get near 300m, 105 million under domestically of the original.

Contrast that with Frozen2, which will end up 75 million above. Can we see how ridiculous that is to lump both as good?

He literally said in the post "it was great, maybe great+".

• Like 1

IGN - 0, Human Brain - 1

Smith has proven time and time again in recent years that he’s not the box office draw he once was (and no, I’m not counting Aladdin) and Lawrence has only starred in two movies this decade (2011’s Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son and 2019’s The Beach Bum), neither of which will likely equal any significant measure of box office success. $21.7 million debut, $97.2 million domestic

That's a 4.5x multi by the way. So really IGN - 0, Human Brain - 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Cap said:

If that’s your opinion, fine. Then no Tea, no shade, this comment is super rude. It takes a lot of work to do one of these countdowns (I know, mine did not go as plan, is still not going as planned).  You can disagree with a placement or a snub all you want, but a blanket Lol this is terrible, is really inconsiderate. 

i dont need an in depth comment on a list that includes a paranormal activity film 

• Disbelief 1