Eric Duncan

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

7 minutes ago, a2k said:

going very conservative, 6.4 + 12 + 12 (+0%) + 8.5 (-29%) + 6.1 (-28%) = 45

so even by GP standards being cautious about 50+ makes more sense than 40+ over the 4-day weekend.

Glass had 16M Friday after 3.7M previews. I would say 20-22M (Thursday + Friday) is likely.

6.4 + 14 + 16 + 12 + 9 = 57M

• Like 2

Not to put a damper on how good this number is, but previews did start REALLY early for this.

I’d also like to thank all the trackers in the tracking thread who provided numbers last night. Honestly, we were probably the first people to (“know”) that this was going over 6M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So in other words... it's pretty horrible. :jeb!:

I guess we can say Dolittle didlittle.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Ghostbusters is a bit dicier simply because there was a film only four years ago.

I think while it's not a sequel, Scoob! could be a surprise breakout for WB. 

It does bode well a bit for SCOOB! but WAG has failed one too many times. 

Though I’m much more optimistic about it than Spongebob 3 which’ll do around the same as the first ($80M DOM) and Artemis Fowl which is dying.

Not surprised to see the Dolittle movie do bad numbers. The Eddie Murphy one that came out in 1998 is quite good. The 2nd one with the two bears is good too. Recommend those over this sloppy mess. 

Edited by FilmBuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, stripe said:

Glass had 16M Friday after 3.7M previews. I would say 20-22M (Thursday + Friday) is likely.

6.4 + 14 + 16 + 12 + 9 = 57M

even if it doens't make it to 20-22 od, i have used 0% bump on sat from true fri which is unlikely. so 45-50 4-day is very conservative.

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

And both sequels were in the Noughties as well. 

I think as tempting as it would be to do a fourth Bad Boys film, Sony should let it end on a high. 

Exactly, these franchises are a bit more relevant and recent with the target age group.

54 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Jesus Christ, we are in the middle of January and we already got two huge break-outs, cinema is alive again?

2020 is off to a fantastic start so far. 

Well 1917 was a 2019 film really. 

Excellent for Bad Boys, a huge preview number. Tragic for Dolittle. 

Bad Boys doing the numbers Sony would’ve hoped for with MIB International. 

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Well 1917 was a 2019 film really. 

Excellent for Bad Boys, a huge preview number. Tragic for Dolittle. 

Bad Boys doing the numbers Sony would’ve hoped for with MIB International. 

Sony have a great winter season, with successful sequel run for Jumanji3 although many were skeptical about that opening and china's number.

This is followed by the Oscar success of LW and now this BB.     

• Like 1

Thats massively great for Bad Boys! I remembered thinking this was going to be another Xander Cage back in the summer of 2019. Also the delay issues had me worried and the first trailer wasn’t very good either.

However last minute, Sony amped up the marketing with a solid trailer and TV spots on YouTube and Football games was a big helping! 

Doolittle yeah it was doomed from the start. Bad Boys was delayed but is looking to do solid results this weekend! But Doolittle had unappealing trailers and spots, the marketing and posters had Robert Downey Jr looked tired and the movie just looked like something kids would be bored with. 

Thankfully Universal had 1917 last week. And their 2020 calendar thus far looks more solid than last year for sure.

Bad Boys trailer had an FF vibe. Even have a shout out to Family. The franchise could have longevity if they play their cards well and it does very well OS. Bad Boys in space before FF in space.

• Astonished 1

47 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Not surprised to see the Dolittle movie do bad numbers. The Eddie Murphy one that came out in 1998 is quite good. The 2nd one with the two bears is good too. Recommend those over this sloppy mess. 

And both those Dolittle-films made over $110-145M+ DOM, which made them big hits.