Jump to content
Eric Karga

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, John2015 said:

WSJ: Mr. Downey is set to receive a share of the film’s box-office revenues, in addition to a $20 million salary, according to a person familiar with the deal. Now rare, such sweetheart deals were once regularly awarded to Hollywood’s top stars, allowing them to receive a chunk of ticket sales even before the studio recouped all its costs.

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/universal-tries-to-escape-disaster-by-patching-up-dolittle-11579195165

Smart for Downey. Even if Dolittle made a billion dollars, Hollywood accounting would ensure he made $0 if he signed for net profits. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Smart for Downey. Even if Dolittle made a billion dollars, Hollywood accounting would ensure he made $0 if he signed for net profits. 

Not really this is the post 2000s with a big name veteran and elite representation, he would have signed like any veteran a very clear profit calculation formula robust toward Hollywood accounting practice (it is really not a % of net profit that anyone ever got, except if they actually own part of the movie), when Anniston/Fincher/Affleck/Sorkin/Tom Hanks/Cruise/Washington/DiCaprio/Lawrence/Spielberg/Streep ever accept to make a movie without a gross deal, I really doubt they make $0 if they turn out a bit hit like a book writer that signed is first adaptation right with is editor at the same time he got is publishing deal.

 

Getting well paid even in case of a flop is nice, not having to care about cost overrun as well if you can it, but I would imagine there is something (specially for those that worked in the 80s-90s-early 2000s) really prestigious about getting first dollar gross deal, a bit like getting the $20M upfront must be quite different than 17.5M for them and why that number come up so often.

 

Do you think all the conversation about Jeremy Renner-Rusell-Bale-Cooper getting 9% of the "profit" while Adams-Lawrence were getting 7% of them was all about money no one ever saw anyway and empty talk about percentage point of $0 or that the studio was giving away 50% of gross revenues ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, John2015 said:

WSJ: Mr. Downey is set to receive a share of the film’s box-office revenues, in addition to a $20 million salary, according to a person familiar with the deal. Now rare, such sweetheart deals were once regularly awarded to Hollywood’s top stars, allowing them to receive a chunk of ticket sales even before the studio recouped all its costs.

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/universal-tries-to-escape-disaster-by-patching-up-dolittle-11579195165

That ended after Mission Impossible 3;Tom Cruise got such a cushy deal that the made a lot of money on the movie and cut deeply into the studio;s profits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That ended after Mission Impossible 3;Tom Cruise got such a cushy deal that the made a lot of money on the movie and cut deeply into the studio;s profits.

Not from what I understand, what was special about Mission Impossible 3 was Tom Cruise direct access to DVD revenues and the size of the first dollar gross cut (22.% with a cut of 100% dvd was a giant deal).

 

It went back to a more frequent 10-15% (say Bullock on Gravity) and not necessarily 100% off Home ent:

 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-feb-15-la-et-cruise15-2010feb15-story.html

The good news is that Mr Cruise takes no cash fee up front for his acting or producing role, which otherwise would be $35m-plus per film. The bad news is that Mr Cruise gets 22 per cent of the gross revenues received by the studio on the theatrical release and the television licensing. Even worse, from the studio’s point of view, is Mr Cruise’s 12 per cent cut of Paramount’s total DVD receipts.

 

That was quite big compared to a say a more standard 10% of the gross with 20% of DVD receipts being calculated toward the gross of the movie (so 2% of the sales instead of 12% for Cruise).

 

Cameron, Spielberg, Bay, Nolan-DiCaprio-Tarantino-Washington, etc... still get those deal from time to time and RDJ on this. Look at what happened on Men in Black 3, made after that mission impossible 3 and Angels&demon were crippled by first dollar gross deal.

 

Cameron Diaz famously made a fortune on Bad Teacher in 2011, making the movie with almost nothing up front but a strong first dollar gross deal.

Edited by Barnack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://deadline.com/2020/01/bad-boys-for-life-dolittle-1917-weekend-box-office-1202833726/

UPDATED, 12:09 PM:
 Sony’s Bad Boys for Life is headed for the second-best MLK weekend opening of all time at the domestic box office, with a projected four-day gross of $63 million-$67 million. Today looks to be around $21M-$23M.

The other new MLK opener, Universal’s Dolittle, is looking at a four-day total of $28M-$30M. That’s not bad for a family film, but will not be enough to consider this film a success based on its lofty $175M production cost.

Best Picture Oscar nominee 1917 looks to take third place with a four-day of $26M, and a Friday gross of $5M-$6M.
 

Edited by raulbalarezo
  • Like 6
  • Astonished 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

UPDATED, 12:09 PM: Sony’s Bad Boys for Life is headed for the second-best MLK weekend opening of all time at the domestic box office, with a projected four-day gross of $63 million-$67 million. Today looks to be around $21M-$23M.

The other new MLK opener, Universal’s Dolittle, is looking at a four-day total of $28M-$30M. That’s not bad for a family film, but will not be enough to consider this film a success based on its lofty $175M production cost.

Best Picture Oscar nominee 1917 looks to take third place with a four-day of $26M, and a Friday gross of $5M-$6M.
 

Hope1917 goes up considerably 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BB3 is just doing what keyser saw like 16 hours ago 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

four-day gross of $63 million-$67 million.

:ohmygod:

 

Sony to announce Bad5 Boy6 trilogy on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

The other new MLK opener, Universal’s Dolittle, is looking at a four-day total of $28M-$30M. That’s not bad for a family film, but will not be enough to consider this film a success based on its lofty $175M production cost.

Is MLK weekend legs wuite different than memorial day weekend legs ? Because the coverage of this versus say Tomorrowland did sound quite different and that opened significantly above 30M for 4 days (42.7M), with not too different budget.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this week all our tracking for Dolittle was more or less worthless.
If it stays like that this is great for a film that has not even 20% at RT. Ok, with its high budget, it probably won't become profitable but still, this makes me speechless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be honest RDJ star power stopped it from floping fully I think 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad boys starting off the decade in style

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/bad-boys-for-life-box-office-opening-weekend-1203471192/

 

Quote

Bad Boys for Life” is tracking for a solid launch with as much as $70 million at 3,740 venues in North America over the four-day holiday weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

 

Universal’s opening of its fantasy-adventure Dolittle” should wind up in second with about $30 million. That’s somewhat above studio expectations for the Robert Downey Jr. vehicle, which will need to show significant staying power at multiplexes worldwide to recoup on its costly $175 million budget. “Dolittle” has been hit with dismal reviews and a 19% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

 

The studio’s “1917,” which won last weekend impressively with $37 million, appears headed for a third-place finish at about $23 million for the four days. The World War I epic picked up 10 Oscar nominations on Monday, including a best picture nod.

 

  • Astonished 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is 30mil 4 day good for a film with a 175mil budget? Only thing that can save the film is international numbers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raulbalarezo said:

https://deadline.com/2020/01/bad-boys-for-life-dolittle-1917-weekend-box-office-1202833726/

UPDATED, 12:09 PM:
 Sony’s Bad Boys for Life is headed for the second-best MLK weekend opening of all time at the domestic box office, with a projected four-day gross of $63 million-$67 million. Today looks to be around $21M-$23M.

The other new MLK opener, Universal’s Dolittle, is looking at a four-day total of $28M-$30M. That’s not bad for a family film, but will not be enough to consider this film a success based on its lofty $175M production cost.

Best Picture Oscar nominee 1917 looks to take third place with a four-day of $26M, and a Friday gross of $5M-$6M.
 

Enormous and awesome number for BB3...and a very great "comeback from this week's press" for Dolittle from the doom and gloom...no, it won't turn a profit, but if that open is on point, it will sniff the high double digits domestic overall for its run (min), which is not easy for family movies...

 

 

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is 30mil 4 day good for a film with a 175mil budget? Only thing that can save the film is international numbers.

It’s not good but I think it probably would have made sub 10m if it weren’t for him so he might still be a worth it to have in your movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Will Smith is the Will Smith we love, people show up.

 

Is it that hard to get ?

 

He was fantastic in Aladdin, against all odds.

Very hard to succeed to Robin WIlliams in the role.

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting tidbit: With that potential opening, Bad Boys has a very strong chance at finally surpassing Paul Blart (146M) and become the biggest ever January release domestically (American Sniper and Hidden Figures debuted limited in December, so they don't count). Blart held that record for 11 years.

  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.