Eric Karga

MLK Weekend Thread: Bad Boys 62.5/73.03 (2nd biggest January debut) | Dolittle 21.84/28.3 | 1917 21.98/26.9

47 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Be honest RDJ star power stopped it from floping fully I think 

WIth a 350 Million break even point, it will still flop fully.

Just not quite as embrassingly.

But, yeah,RDJ is the only thing attracting audiences.

• Like 1

Anyway, I'm going to discuss the positive more. Bad Boys is way over performing and that's great.

• Thanks 2

Bad Boys exploding seems like a good sign for any potential breakouts for the rest of the year. If the ingredients are there, people will still show up to the movies, as the last few months have demonstrated.

Poor numbers against its budget as expected for Dolittle but it could be worse as well. Consolation prize that at least it won't quite go down as an all-time Hall of Shame level embarrassment ala Cats.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

How is 30mil 4 day good for a film with a 175mil budget? Only thing that can save the film is international numbers.

Good question. Unless a lot of people don't get that a film needs to take in a lot more then it's production costs to just break even;the break even point for Dolittle is around 350 Million. The studio only gets roughly half the box office take.

• Like 1

003-Bad-Boys-II-2003-Haitian-Gang-Shooto

:shades:

tumblr_osbqziau0h1v6w3juo2_500.gifv

:rock:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Bad Boys exploding seems like a good sign for any potential breakouts for the rest of the year. If the ingredients are there, people will still show up to the movies, as the last few months have demonstrated.

Poor numbers against its budget as expected for Dolittle but it could be worse as well. Consolation prize that at least it won't quite go down as an all-time Hall of Shame level embarrassment ala Cats.

Yeah, but Universal will still lose around a 100 Million on the film.

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Anyway, I'm going to discuss the positive more. Bad Boys is way over performing and that's great.

I though it would do well, but 70 Million I never expected.

People like Will Smith when he does his classic Will Smith Shtick;it' the other stuff ("After Earth") that hurt his career.

And not surprised about BB4, pretty sure nowdays they begin working on the next film in a potential franchise well before the first is released.

I note Smith also cleaned up his publicity act; he is careful not to come across as arrogant which for along time he did and it did not help.

Edited by dudalb

OMG Almost $ 70m 4-day? I hope Will Smith shares some profit with Sony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I though it would do well, but 70 Million I never expected.

People like Will Smith when he does his classic Will Smith Shtick;it' the other stuff ("After Earth") that hurt his career.

And not surprised about BB4, pretty sure nowdays they begin working on the next film in a potential franchise well before the first is released.

I note Smith also cleaned up his publicity act; he is careful not to come across as arrogant which for along time he did and it did not help.

Just like Tom Cruise when he tried to sell scientology in his world wide press tours (that he invented by the way).

Funny how those two have so much in common in terms on career paths.

SOny might finally have a  another big franchise,after a number of failed attempts to get a new one.

I know it a revived franchise rather the a brand new one but still very good news for SONY which has been short of Franchises for quite a while.

Smithonnaissance ?

Yay ?

Nay ?

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Just like Tom Cruise when he tried to sell scientology in his world wide press tours (that he invented by the way).

Funny how those two have so much in common in terms on career paths.

Not really, Cruise's career has never taken the kind of severe downturn that Smith's did.

He has had his occasional bomb...he just had one last year....but he never had a string of failures like SMith did.

But I do notice that Cruise is not talking much about the CO$ nowdays.

That the COS has had a big collapse in support in recent years has a lot to do with that.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Smithonnaissance ?

Yay ?

Nay ?

I would say a cautious Yay. He seems to be making films people want to see again,have to see if it lasts.

Edited by dudalb

Honestly if the rest of the year produces hits on this level on a near-consistent basis I think we can officially put to bed the notion that streaming is killing the multiplex, especially as all of these new services will be launching this year.

Those Bad Boys numbers. Wow. 

Even Dolittle is doing better than I thought it would. 

I would have never expected Bad Boys to be so succesfull. This situation is like a mini-American sniper for me right now. I thought the franchise was dead. Well i guess not, awesome!

Holy shit! Those Bad Boys previews.

A bunch of us have been commenting on how surprisingly good the movie looks, how it could surprise etc etc. Never did I expect THIS! As a box office fan I'm so thrilled about this! Also happy for Will Smith, Martin Lawrence and Sony.

• Like 2

The directors for Bad Boys For Life will certainly be getting offers now.

I wonder if Sony and Will Smith will finally get round to making Hancock 2. That did very well 12 years ago and it never got a sequel 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dolitte is a far easier movie to sell than CATS, plus, it has an A-List as lead of the movie, coming from the biggest movie of all time, losing more money than Cats did is a far bigger embarrassment. 

• Like 2